Home | About | Donate

New Hampshire Law Illegally Targets Young Voters Ahead of 2020 Primary

New Hampshire Law Illegally Targets Young Voters Ahead of 2020 Primary

Julie Ebenstein

The New Hampshire 2020 primary is still almost a year away, but state legislators are already working to disenfranchise voters. HB 1264, a law set to go into effect in July 2019, will change the definition of what it means to be a “resident” of New Hampshire, forcing people with out-of-state driver’s licenses or car registrations to switch to the state versions if they register to vote.

0 Likes

“Live free or die” my pale, pimply ass. The Dems won both chambers of the NH Legislature in 2018, so I am asking myself WTF on this development. Why aren’t the Dems taking the air out of the tires on this assault vehicle set in motion by the previously Republican-controlled Legislature? Gov. Sununu (Rep) held on this his position in 2018. There must not be the ability to override his veto.

2 Likes

I am relieved that the hold Republicans have held in the Statehouse for so long has finally been broken. Sununu doesn’t fall far from the family tree. He does what the right,Trump and ALEC expect of him. He is a good soldier. Never a good thing for a group likely to vote Democratic and to support democracy which is inclusive and encourages citizens to vote. Suppression is the name of the game.

0 Likes

Here’s what this article is not telling you, from someone who lives in NH and has followed the issue.

1. Prior to this bill, the law allowed anyone who could prove domicile in NH to register to vote. This means if you could prove you live in the state part of the year, you could go to the town hall, show a rental agreement, and get registered.

2. Much of NH, especially non-urban areas, is vacation land for Massachusetts residents. Some towns you go to, as many as one-third of the homes are owned by people living out of state. So someone could have a quartershare vacation condo, use that to prove domicile, and vote in a state where they don’t live. Or, more cynically, many residential apartments are owned by landlords who live in MA. They could pretend to live in the area and show a deed as false proof of domicile.

3. I work in a business in which I deal with many such people who own or rent vacation property in the state. I have seen their names (ok, only 4) on the town voter roll, together with a MA mailing address, and I have seen their out-of-state drivers licenses. I know they don’t live in NH, and I know they don’t vacation in NH on election day in early November, the off-season. So you have to ask–why did they register to vote here? They live in MA and they can vote in MA. Yet they could also vote in NH with an absentee ballot and easily vote in two states.

4. Opponents of this bill used to insist that it was a false concern because there were no known cases of people voting in both states. But THEY NEVER LOOKED; they never cross-check voter rolls, so how would they know? Not only does this seem to be a convenient ignorance, but since the last election there were three cases of people who happened to be caught voting in both states. Now if there was a systematic cross-check, how many more cases would be found?

5. When this legislation was introduced, it was introduced by Republicans who said they were concerned about people voting illegally. All of a sudden, the Democrats changed the discussion. It was no longer about MA residents using a vacation rental to register to vote in a state where they didn’t live, it was about disenfranchising college kids. Clearly, a compromise could be reached that required principal residence in NH with an exception for college students. Why aren’t these people arguing for such a compromise?

6. This debate heated up since last election, when the state experienced its own “blue wave”. Massachusetts is known to have a higher percentage of people who vote Democrat, especially among the people wealthy enough to own a second home one state over.

7. If you don’t think the Democrats are trying to pull something fishy here, please answer these two following questions: If not enough MA residents are voting in both states for it to be a concern, why would a MA resident, who is only ever in MA on election day, find it practical to register to vote in another state? and Why are the opponents of this bill not allowing for a simple amendment that has an exception for college students? Why do they insist on reverting to the old standard that allows MA residents, in some cases only in NH a few weekends a year, vote in NH?

1 Like

Let me see if I understand this, you know of (4) people you expect are illegally on the voters rolls, and are upset? You do realize there are already laws in place to severely punish people who vote more than once in an election, yes? Not sure what the population of you’re town is, but (4) seems like an small number, or small percentage, to risk disenfranchising other voters. And I’m sure you know the repug’s have been using illegal voting claims for years now, with a miniscule amount actually happening around the country, to pass laws to disenfranchise voters, mostly dem voters and people of color. This used to mainly happen in the deep south, it was addressed in the Voting Rights Act of 1965, when the SC struck down the protections in that Act, it sprang up anywhere the repug’s had a majority. What’s next in NH, a poll tax or test?

0 Likes

You took the bait. You’re part of the crowd that still thinks that since the Republicans are the bad guys, the Democrats are therefore the good guys.

Let’s see if I can simplify this for you. The Democrats are insisting on allowing out-of-state residents to vote in NH and are ignoring the possibility of an amendment that exempts college students from residency requirements.

Suppose I said that only a handful of black voters would be directly affected by a racist voting restriction in South Carolina. Does that justify it?

0 Likes

Wrong again, nowhere in my post do I defend dems. Again (4) is a pretty low number, and where’s you’re proof these people did vote in both states. Again, there’s already laws to cover this. I stand by my post.

1 Like

I think you are full of baloney. New Hampshirehad college students voted for years without an issue. They were domiciled here well over eight months.
Only Republicans would imagine the scheming worst in most people. Why is that? You are talking from the Republicans’ false playbook. A rare person would conceive and assume the worst in people. Trump in particular lied about hoards of Massachusetts people voting in New Hampshire. Republicans strive to suppress the vote because they know that without gerrymanding and voter suppression, the party cannot maintain viability.

1 Like

Pelosi needs to be hounded until all that can be done at the federal level is in fact done.

1 Like

Do you and Chary know what deflection is? Neither one of you has addressed what I wrote. You grabbed the bone like a pit bull and started snarling when you hear the dog whistle.

Until you can answer either one of these questions:

1. Why are the Dems insisting on reverting to a law that allows out-of-state residents to vote in NH. Forget how many actually do vote in both states?

2. Why are Dems refusing to solve the problem by simply exempting college students from residency requirements? And yes, I know the Reps aren’t proposing this amendment either.

you haven’t addressed my post, let alone refuted it. I’ll throw in a bonus question: How come no other state allows out-of-state residents (forget college students, because I’m not talking about them,) vote in their elections? I went to college in MA and lived out of state. MA had a residency requirement but allowed college students to vote. Why, then, is it suddenly supposed to be impossible to allow college kids in NH to vote unless we also let MA residents who have a summer rental here to vote?

0 Likes

Well since you don’t like my posts, here’s a thought, why don’t you ask the dem party of NH.

0 Likes

They are. First the bill is tied up on the courts and second the new legislature is attempting to amend the bill to exempt students from having to obtain driver’s licenses as they do in Vermont. Of course they have a Republican governor to contend with so how successful they will be we will have to wait and see. Hopefully, the courts will rule that this bill constitutes a poll tax but we don’t know yet.

0 Likes

The first bill being drafted in the Democratic House is a bill that restores voting rights throughout the country. It’s called HB1. However, McConnell calls the bill a ‘power grab’ by democrats because it expands voting to all eligible voters. So you know it’s not going anywhere in the Senate. Then there’s the Orange Freak in the White House. So the only way we’re going to solve this is to throw out the bums in 2020 and restore democracy to our country.

0 Likes