Home | About | Donate

New Poll: Half in US Fear Bankruptcy From Major Health Event

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/09/01/new-poll-half-us-fear-bankruptcy-major-health-event

President Fear monger strikes again. And the people cringe.

Who cares. It is what it is. The corporate oligarchs who own and control both parties want bankrupt indentured slaves. It’s the next best thing to prison labor for them. That is why you will never see Medicare for All in the shithole USA.

3 Likes

Name one president that was for giving health care to his citizens. Trump has a long line before him on this matter. Actually all matters that matter. I’ve been cringing under both parties for many a long year now.

2 Likes

“You have owners. They own you.” - George Carlin - “The American Dream” (2004)

4 Likes

Half in the US fear bankruptcy from a major health event, and the other half are skating on thin ice.

You just can’t trust a system that funds healthcare with excise taxes on cigarettes.

3 Likes

Sin taxes help fund health care the world over.

1 Like

Really? How do they do it in Russia? They never make the top five. No sin?

Do you know what a sin tax is?

Taxes are levied on things like Alcohol and Cigarettes and these revenues used to pay for things like health care.

You picking out one country that may or may not do this does not change this. Canada, the UK Sweden and Countries too numerous to list here use sin taxes.

Now I do not smoke but a single pack of cigarettes is around 13 bucks here in BC from what I remember and use they use that money to pay for health care costs. Not only do these taxes help fund health care but the number of smokers has dropped significantly due in part to that tax.

1 Like

I suppose the other half are delusional because they refuse to contemplate the reality. Everyone is at risk of medical bankruptcy.

2 Likes

Excise taxes are taxes paid when purchases are made on a specific good, such as gasoline. Excise taxes are often included in the price of the product. There are also excise taxes on activities, such as on wagering or on highway usage by trucks. One of the major components of the excise program is motor fuel.
~https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/excise-tax

I just wondered if you knew the difference.

I think you are correct about that owing to the disparity in health care costs and ability to pay. There is no risk free healthcare. If you are poor enough to get subsidized care, they can still ask you to pay more.

2 Likes

Remember FDR, LBJ, JFK.

2 Likes

I must acknowledge your list. Having said that, I should have written name one president in recent history that demanded and fought for health care for all.

even though I have Medicare I will NOT go to the hospital–would rather die than give those parasites a single dollar–the system supported by BOTH political parties is designed to feed on the pain and suffering of the American people, willing to deny care if you are poor, and becoming rich on the money they have scammed from us–being entirely ready to take every last cent from the people for their profits–and to hell with what happens to the people they just screwed over–that the Democratic nominee is unwilling to support M4A-especially in time of pandemic-- tells us all we really need to know about him–he is just one more parasite wishing to feeds on the pain and suffering of the people(for the campaign dollars he is willing to prostitute himself and ignore the suffering of the children, women and men struggling to survive in the world he helped create)

3 Likes

So? People have had innumerable chances to mobilize, to support the regulatory state, to participate in primaries (when elections were still relatively clean) and general elections, to join activist groups and unions. On balance, they have passed up these opportunities. Now it is just about too late. Stop blaming the elites exclusively. We know that they are selfish and vicious. But they could have been controlled by a mobilized majority. The people, in their astonishing passivity and ignorance, have to be held primarily responsible.

Nobody’s life matters.

1 Like

That would be, "President Bernie Sanders."

Oh, that’s right, the Democratic Establishment fucked Bernie two, count them, two elections in a row, out of the nomination to be President.

The Democratic Establishment care only about their donors, and that isn’t us.

May they all rot in Hell, along with all of their enablers.

2 Likes

As millions across the nation lose their employer-tied healthcare coverage amid the Covid-19 pandemic and economic crash…

At six million cases, this wraps up August. With July, it looks in this segmentation like a repeat of May and June, plus one million. Amid all the turbulence right now over kids reporting to campus, a breakout closing in-person instruction, and all those kids headed right back home… I’ll put it this way: What do you think the result of all this will be?

A brief history of USA COVID-19 cases (latest CDC numbers):

> WEEK    35 DAYS             CASES
>         ENDING          NEW       TOTAL
> 
>   5.  02/03/2020          11          11
>  10.  03/09/2020         636         647
>  15.  04/13/2020     578,358     579,005
>  20.  05/18/2020     925,825   1,504,830
>  25.  06/22/2020     797,472   2,302,302
>  30.  07/27/2020   1,977,833   4,280,135
>  35.  08/31/2020   1,724,308   6,004,443

I wouldn’t be surprised to see another repeat in September and October, this time plus two million. I can’t foresee how record-keeping will fare in the current climate, of course.

Of the 6 million US Americans who have experienced a confirmed case, it’s hard to know how many of those cases represent a “major health event.” We’ve heard of many survivors coping with long-term complications, as USA’s caseload approaches 2 percent of us.

1 Like

50% seems kind of low.

If americans were self-aware and well-informed this % would be closer to 90% methinks.

Unless you’re daddy warbucks, you get any kind of serious illness in this country and your goose is cooked.

4 Likes