Home | About | Donate

New Poll Shows 65% of Democrats More Likely to Support 2020 Candidate Who Backs Medicare for All Over Obamacare Tweaks

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/08/28/new-poll-shows-65-democrats-more-likely-support-2020-candidate-who-backs-medicare

1 Like

And keep in mind, the remaining 35% probably include people that are on Medicare, Medicaid, or are one of the lucky few who already have a decent healthcare plan.
The time has come for the Democratic Party to take a cue from the GOP. Republicans have had a “purity test” since the days of Reagan. The time has come for serious democrats to shun any and all candidates that do not support abortion, decriminalization, organized labor, public schools, business regulation, expanding social security, a green new deal, and of course, single payer.
If the Democratic Party forces another center/right corporate crony down the throats of the electorate (Biden, Harris, Booker etc) and they go down in flames, it would be the end of the party.

4 Likes

You neglected to list Warren among that group. As a avowed capitalist who will accept big money funds in the general election she will continue the corporate domination of the political process making useless adjustments that will simply be ignored.

3 Likes

Warren and party insiders influence.

5 Likes

Yes, but at least Warren is smart enough to talk the talk and try to at least not to seem corporate. Biden and Harris just seem to be unapologetically fascist. True believers in the Third Way ethos that you can be fiscally conservative while at least trying to maintain a veil of social liberalism. Booker is just an idiot, a Howdy-Doody type who will dance whatever way his strings are pulled.
I’ve never trusted Warren because she was a republican. I’m not saying that you can’t, or shouldn’t be able to change. I just ask that she share with us what moment made her change her mind. And of course the logical follow up, does that make you more prone to change back?

2 Likes

The results of this poll conflict with Quinnipiac’s poll released today that show ByeDone (against MFA) still maintaining a sizeable lead over Warren and Sanders (MFA’s biggest champion).

Here’s the poll, a bit distressing to see Sanders not getting much traction. Of course, as I’ve noted many times, it’s early, ByeDone will falter, and the polls have been all over the place:

1 Like

And this is based upon just a blank question, what if they included facts? It gets much, MUCH better.

Did the poll ask if the 14,000,000 Americans without ACA/private insurance, if they are happy going without medical care?

Did the poll ask if the 84,000,000 Americans who can’t afford their medications are happy that ACA/private insurance does NOT help them at all with medications?

Did the poll ask why 877,372 people WITH healthcare went bankrupt because of ACA/private insurance? Today 20% of the public could not pay their medical bills and reported taking out a loan that would be difficult to pay back, while 23% piled on credit card debt! Over 7% of those who are insured are forced into bankruptcy!

Did the poll ask if Americans are happy paying the HIGHEST insurance rates in the world while the U.S. ranks 12th in life expectancy among the 12 wealthiest industrialized countries?

When the media asks the RIGHT questions, things get more obvious.

5 Likes

Don’t lose hope. As the Democratic field narrows, Sanders support will rise. The anti-establishment mood in America has grown significantly since tRump has become the incumbent; he has nowhere to hide.

2 Likes

Frontrunner Joe’s™ website sez:
“(T)he former vice president’s healthcare plan would insure an estimated 97 percent of Americans (sic) …”

“Insure.” Now, there’s a fun word. Often used by the Assimilated Press to suggest the meaning “provide care for.”

At what level will patients be “insured”?
For which treatments, diagnostics, procedures, tests, etc, shall they be “insured”?
Who makes the decision on whether their health-care need will be “insured”?
To whom will the “insurance” payments accrue?

4 Likes

Warren is doubling-down on the DNC/RNC. Who is surprised that a former-Republican would start moving right this early?

I prefer an independent referee to highlight the differences between the RNC/DNC, like Sanders. Who else is going to expose the twins and get Democrats back on track with New Deal Policy? The past 50 years have established that it won’t be a neoliberal of either party.

4 Likes

‘expanding social security’ ??
already has occurred in South Carolina.
Heck, there must be about 50% on disability down there already !! Broke the piggy bank.

What is your expansion plan?

If ACA permits an adult to be on their parents private health care policy until age 28, why not the same for medicaid, medicare, Even orphans get thrown to the curb at age 18.

An important caution - we have to do our best to see reality clearly, even if we don’t like it…

1 Like

You would be advised to not rely on Democratic voters making a good choice. They are sheep, do not do basic research and do not think critically of propaganda given to them by MSNBC, NPR and CNN (many at least). To back Biden still at this point is absolutely insane, even Obama apparently was uneasy about him running. The Democratic voters are not radically different than the Fox News types in that regard, and I have no faith in them at all. If you look at polls, many Biden supporters would back Sanders if he dropped out, but I think that too is simply just name recognition, not any real thinking about what Bernie offers. There is a reason that only slightly over a quarter of the country now identifies with that party, and what entices anyone to join and to want to change it, when it clearly is rotten to its core, which includes the sheep that vote in the primaries.

I don’t trust these polls for that reason. Anyone can say that they support single payer, how many of them actually prove it by voting for candidates that back the idea? Not enough for it to even have majority support among the politicians in the government. Look at this rotten party’s primary. Two candidates say they support it, one really does, that is it. Out of the 20 some odd running, ultimately one person strongly backs the idea, and technically he isn’t a Democrat. The two parties have rigged the system so that no other parties can emerge, and the parties are filled with zombies from what I can tell. The younger voters want changes, the are screwed without them, but the older voters are largely (I know there are exceptions, some that post here) fine with us committing collective suicide. Take away Biden’s support from older voters and he is floundering. I don’t know if many Biden supporters are any more influenced by facts or logic than Trump supporters, and that is extremely troubling.

2 Likes

Lets keep in mind this 65% is pretty amazing considering all the misinformation about EIM4A that’s being pushed to confuse the voters, a lot of them don’t understand the improvements to the program. Bernie is pretty flush with cash, and face it, if he needed more all he has to do is ask his supporters. Because of this, I would like to see him make a short film explaining the ins and outs of the bills him and Jayapal have written improving the old Medicare. Run this film as a informercial on TV and the Net to really educate the public about this subject, if your happy with Burnie’s polling numbers now, watch them skyrocket after this is aired nationally.

4 Likes

“…that lying corporate bitch Cli-”

“Bitch”? Dunno how it is for other male and female readers on this site, but, for me, that typically misogynistic ridicule is offensive and undercuts what credibility your political message might otherwise have. Not to mention it’s damaging because it lends credence to the ‘Bernie Bros’ lie - a lie being revived right now. (And no, the fact that you don’t support Sanders makes no dif. - that language supports the false accusation of progressive attacks on Clinton as ‘personalized’ versus ‘political,’ and thus has the likely effect of dividing men and women from each other in their struggle.)

2 Likes

“They are sheep”
Some are stone cold stupid. If you haven’t yet, click the twitter link inside the Biden healthcare story yesterday here at CD. Read the posts, I was shocked, many are not much brighter than the Trump supporters we make fun of here. They will have to be led, some don’t have the ability to think critically, a sad testament to our education system I suppose.

1 Like

Once the union sheep and the government employee sheep understand that 100% coverage is better than 80-85% M4ALL will get better support.
Of COURSE the system will initially be overwhelmed if all are allowed in at the same moment.
We will catch up with some new medical schools and clinics.
Easier to fix a good thing than a bad one. Just watch out for the privatizers, like vutures they are always circling above.

1 Like

Oh stop it. People here aren’t fans of her, but saying all that stuff is just meant to trigger people, it undermines your argument and gives her defenders an easy out, and it is sexist. Why resort to stupid language like that if you can articulate a devastating critique of her? You probably don’t care that I am saying this, and I don’t care about you not caring. Free country, if you want to rant and use stupid and self-defeating language, do so, but you are doing no one on the left any favors (and maybe that is the point with you).

3 Likes

Republicans (like Warren) who have had Political epiphany’s and then want to be called ‘democrats’ worry me. I don’t trust them. The ‘Tent’ is just too damned big.

Warren has said recently “I am a capitalist”. This is a red flag to me.

THE TENT IS TOO DAMNED BIG!
When a Republican has a political epiphany and want to be a ‘democrat’ they are probably still carrying much of their conservative rightwing ideology along with them diluting the Liberal and Progressive base. We don’t need it.