Home | About | Donate

New Reporting Details Border Patrol's "Level of Inhumanity" Toward Migrant Children Imprisoned in Texas

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/06/21/new-reporting-details-border-patrols-level-inhumanity-toward-migrant-children

1 Like

Our entire history has been one of inhumanity.

9 Likes

Migrant worker (bracero) laws came up to ameliorate the labor shortage when slavery was ended. Texas ranchers employing braceros would say “I used to own slaves, now I rent them.”

And that border has been fraught ever since with the contradictions of needing labor from people we institutionally despise. How to solve the problem? Oh, I don’t know, but children’s concentration camps in the desert seem rash, while migrant labor continues to support our economy. USAmericans keep changing their minds about whether we should work migrants or kill them. There’s a special place in hell for those who fabricate exquisite hells on Earth.

7 Likes

50 years ago I was in the Coast Guard in Brownsville Texas, we were warned by our Command not to be any part of mistreatment that was then being openly displayed by the Border Patrol.

3 Likes

I’m seeing an growing level of dehumanization. Last year, the separation of migrant children was almost universally condemned. This year, in response to reports of US government violation of the human rights of migrant children, I’ve heard many people react with anger. Some of the comments I have heard on Fox, talk radio, and in public conversations are like the following:

‘Why should we care?’
‘Why waste time on migrants when we need to take care of our own citizens?’
‘If they don’t like it hear, they should go back to where they came from’
‘They are not citizens so they don’t deserve rights’
‘They broke the law and must be punished’

I don’t know why there is so much hate, but I see it as very dangerous.

7 Likes

I have my doubts that anyone will ever be held accountable for the deaths of children or the ‘disappearing’ of refugees. Human Trafficking is a $150bn industry. Things are much more sinister than the American public is made to believe…

4 Likes

Exactly! Dehumanization and brutalization (of society) is one of the hallmarks of Fascism…

3 Likes

That’s coming from people who don’t realize that what their government is
doing to others – outside our nation or inside of it – can just as easily be
done to them in due time – and very likely will be.

Our government is capable of gross inhumanity – from genocide to slavery –
why do we need to question it?

And from the first splitting of the nation by Elites/Our Founders whose support
of the system of Slavery guaranteed the Civil War, they continue to divide the people –
Trump being one of the prime examples of how easily that is done.

2 Likes

At least half of the population stays woefully ignorant on purpose. Our government is actively polluting our food, water, air and soil, actively waging wars around the globe, has already destroyed our educational system and civility toward each other and yet most of the population either remains indifferent or helpless. Yet there are many who are fighting by forming alliances.

Caucus 99%
Courage to Resist
No More Deaths
Code Pink
Repairers of the Breach
and many more

2 Likes

Next we’ll re-open the camps where we interned Japanese Americans during WW II. Oh, wait, we’re already doing that. Not getting rid of these kids fast enough, though. Somebody must have saved the blueprints for Auschwitz…

2 Likes

Could be as bad as priests and alter boys. We need cameras everywhere at border detention.

2 Likes

Not really the Border Patrol’s fault per se. We need a President and Congress who will address the needs of detainees with better facilities. Just saying they don’t belong here or should have stayed home or that’s what you get isn’t enough. They are already here, they are being detained in inhumane conditions, and we have mud on our faces.

Correction.
The entire White American history is one of inhumanity to others.

1 Like

The entire White American story is one of inhumanity, cruelty to human beings, animals, all living things and the very earth itself!

1 Like

“the moral test of government is how that government treats those who are in the dawn of life, the children; those who are in the twilight of life, the elderly; those who are in the shadows of life; the sick, the needy and the handicapped.”
Hubert Humphrey

1 Like

One of the top people at ICE stated AOC stating the holding facilities for “migrants” were concentration camps was an insult and an morale breaker. I was amused. Anyone following those orders (arrest, detain, oversee, dehumanize, etc) should have moral issues if they aren’t anything other than drones, bullies, thugs, morally bankrupt future SS and Brown Shirts (Hitlerian days of Nazi Germany). It’s simple. Don’t Do. It. Refuse the order. Walk away. Become the Resistance to this monster POTUS. Any going along in silence are guilty of crimes against humanity. Stand-up or own it. It’s that simple. Save the fuc**ng whining. AOC is absolutely correct. They are all concentration camps on the road to death camps–which they have become as it comes out more are dying pinned up like the dogs and animals DT has called them. Anyone wearing one of those uniforms (Border Patrol, DHS, ICE, etc.) should be morally outraged, strip down naked and burn it into ashes.

1 Like

I am from the UK. Are there any organisations in the USA that are making donations for these children? Are donations for them allowed? Obviously it should be provided by the government but does anyone know if anyone else is able to help?
Thanks.