Home | About | Donate

New Sanders Bill Would Tax 'Obscene' Pandemic Windfall of Billionaires to Fund People's Health and Well-Being

If he hadn’t dropped out would he had been able to introduce this bill?

Youv’e had a few replies to your question on greed/sociopathy which i cannot elaborate on, but agree with the consensus. However, there is one element that might come into play: “power”. It must be an astounding feeling of power to be able to know you can practically buy anything you want without having to ask the price or consult your bank balance. And therefore the fear of losing that power might prompt you to maintain and add to the wealth by any means. (Caroline said it was a question to think about, so i did. And those are my thoughts.)

3 Likes

Do we actually know if Bernie was ripped off in the primary, OR did the voters bail all of a sudden. In neither case is Bernie to blame.
Those same people who ran over to the Biden side will be absent from any revolutionary action too.

5 Likes

Another one of Sanders’ Go-Nowhere bills to make himself look good to voters.

He stays really busy writing up endless bills…if only he would spend that much time talking to his co-horts to ACTUALLY gain support for any one of his bills!!!
Oh no…keep writing bills with NO support…so he can say he’s been “consistent for 40 years.”

2 Likes

HEY BERNIE - Try getting one of your bills to PASS for once in your life.

1 Like

A typical communist response, they hate anyone that has more or is more successful in life than they are. You are entitled to the fruits of your own labor, you are not entitled to the fruits of anyone else’s labor.

1 Like

OMG! Eva Cassidy is the one artist I would take with me to the metaphorical deserted island. I was lucky enough to find almost all her CDs at my local library bookstore for one dollar a piece a few years back. Her voice was angelic to say the least. She could sing so many musical styles as well and do them all justice. It was so sad to know that she passed away at the age of 33 due to melanoma. But thankfully she left behind a number of recordings for us to bathe our souls in. Thanks for mentioning her.

3 Likes

But “investors” are entitled to wealth made off of others labor in your beloved capitalism which you apparently support. Do you understand the irony of your statement. Apparently not.

6 Likes

Hi FIick:
If you recall, Bernie was winning up to S. Caroina----Joe was eating dust BUT, suddenly Joe won everything. Bernie is actually doing something. and UNIike many in politics, who waIk away in anger for being ripped off, Bernie is stiII working for the nation, because as we aII Know , Joe doesn’t care. He’s a 1950s Joe and ain’t America grand.
Why does Bernie stay with the Dems? Because JiII Stein had a ot fo great ideas and I voted for her in 2016----but you know, the media onIy writes about the 2 parties—and Bernie would have the same problem----if he had run in 2016 or 2020 as anything but a DEM—we would not heard much from him either. It’s sad NY Times and Washington Post that you keep wanting me to buy your paper----but why? YOU seem to miss aII the important news, especially in an election year! : (

3 Likes

Hi Shantiananda:
Ah—but you see Bernie inspired the Squad, which is inspiring more new peopIe! The oId group are so surprised that their past efforts of doing nothing have not succeeded! Bernie might not have won the DNC leaders, but he’s inspiring new peopIe to take that power and put it where it belongs—with the People. : )

5 Likes

Right On stardust!!!

1 Like

It’s a one year plan.
Let’s have an up-or-down vote!

Great speech!

1 Like

Caroline, some of us did and are still waiting for the leadership to catch up. It appears that this generation is willing. Funny how things come around again and again giving humanity a chance to do the right thing.

2 Likes

Agreed. Having a class such as this makes democracy impossible, but more importantly, fortunes of that sort are illegitimate. There is nothing you can do to deserve to own and control that much of society and it’s resources.

The fraudulent system creates these behemoths.

1 Like

Labour? HA! The profits go to owners, not workers. There is no labour necessarily attached to collecting profits, like there are with wages.

You’re dreaming if you don’t see there is a class of people who simply collect ‘earnings’ from financial vehicles and never labour for their money.

You want to talk about taking the fruits of people’s labour? What the hell do you call profit? Especially in the cases of remote owners who merely collect dividends?

3 Likes

Thankyou TTofB. Ironic indeed.

And we are impotent to change it.

First of all, that’s a false comparison, as employment in a capitalist system is a voluntary transaction/contract between employer and employee, whereas communist “employment” is actual slave labor (try not working “hard enough” or meeting quotas in the old USSR; you weren’t fired, you were sent to Siberia and never seen again; or in China, Mao’s thugs just shot you and your family).

But back to this article, before discussing the morality of the Sanders proposal, let’s discuss the practicality of it. How is he going to implement this plan? This isn’t an income tax of 60%, it’s a wealth tax. The vast majority of wealthy people’s wealth is in equities. Taking the examples, Jeff Bezos’ wealth is predominantly concentrated in one stock, Amazon. If Sanders wants to tax Bezos for 60% of the increase in his wealth, then Bezos would have to sell a major portion of his company (and to whom? To the government?). That doesn’t make any sense. The article doesn’t even discuss this.

But the plan is stupid to begin with and just meant to stir up his constituents.

The proposal does beg the question : “How do we pay for the SECOND year?” It reminds me of that Scarlet O’hara line, “I’ll worry about that tomorrow!”