Home | About | Donate

New Snowden-Developed Smartphone Device Aims to Shield Journalists

New Snowden-Developed Smartphone Device Aims to Shield Journalists

Deirdre Fulton, staff writer

Whistleblower Edward Snowden has helped to develop a smartphone case designed to protect privacy by constantly checking whether one's phone is transmitting data via radio signal.

The technology, which the NSA whistleblower developed alongside prominent hardware hacker Andrew 'bunnie' Huang, is "a case-like device that wires into your iPhone's guts to monitor the electrical signals sent to its internal antennas," according to Wired.

Wired continues:

Alternatively you can just use burners. I do it all the time when engaging contractors for major jobs, use the phone number as long as needed then just disconnect it. Saves me robocalls from all sorts of places for years to come.

Probably that's about the only the people who it's useful for.

Let's think about it. If someone is so important that his phone is being tracked, Snegov's device is useless. as soon as you take it out of the bag and press the on button it's gonna send a page to every team member tracking them, GPS or not.

I don't know much about these things but if someone really wants to stay out of trouble they'd probably stop at the first grocery store and get a prepaid phone. From the nearest electronics store he could get a laptop and a new hard drive, rip the old one out install the new one, put a barebones OS on it and use that as long they feel safe. Then just take it all apart again and dump it.