Home | About | Donate

New STABLE GENIUS Act Would Mandate Mental Fitness Exams for Presidential Candidates

New STABLE GENIUS Act Would Mandate Mental Fitness Exams for Presidential Candidates

Jessica Corbett, staff writer

"President Trump's reckless, erratic behavior has exposed a critical flaw in our existing election process," says Rep. Brendan Boyle, the bill's sponsor.

Rep. Brendan Boyle (D-Penn.)

As Politico noted, "that decision concerns physicians and public health experts who say Trump should be assessed the same way as other elderly Americans, particularly given his globe-shaping job and his control of the U.S. nuclear arsenal."

At the very least on Friday he should be checked to see if it is still safe for him to drive a car on our streets and highways. If he has Alzheimer’s or similar there is a point in time at which due to this condition he becomes a menace on the road. At this point his driver’s license gets taken from him, just like it would with everyone else.

Note that being President does not require one to have a driver’s license as there is no need for the President to drive in the pursuit of his duties.

A few days ago I watched some video clips of John F. Kennedy. It was a pleasure to watch this president who was a man with a sense of humor who could think on his feet, a man who had considerable independence, caution, and the ability to see the overall picture.

There is no doubt that there are people of Kennedy’s caliber in the USA today. A discussion is needed on why, for the most part, people of his caliber are not currently being promoted and considered for the position.

Surely this is a case of closing the stable door after the horse (mr. Ed) has bolted? :racehorse:

This will never pass in Congress.

They’re all “Nuckin Futs.”

The simplest and best way to implement such a “STABLE GENIUS Act” would be to just ask each presidential candidate to describe his/her position on this EMPIRE, which is merely ‘posing’ as our former country!

This is what I first wrote in OpEdNews over a decade ago, before the '08 primary really got going in early January 2007:

"The very most important question that the American people should be asking any candidate for president in '08 is not, “Where do you stand on the war?”, but, “Where do you stand on the EMPIRE that has taken over our country — an Empire of which the war in Iraq is only its biggest and most visible crime so far?”

this is long past due. we wouldn’t be in the mess we’re in if a full medical accounting had been required before sitting trump.

Brilliant, Amacd.

Personally I’d rather see an exam to detect psychopaths, for the Presidency, the Congress, the military, the security agencies and the local police forces. I suspect that would clean house pretty quickly.

Boyle’s proposal is perfectly timed, and his command of the English language is inspired. At some point, it may yet become the law of the land, and then Trump’s inane Tweet will go down in history. ‘I love it!’

So, um, the president is crazy, but all of the folks in Congress who write and vote for his legislation, those who staff and support him in the White House are not?
All of the public who support him are not crazy?
Sorry . I don’t like the guy. I don’t like the lies. I don’t like the policies or the behavior. But being able to work a system is not my definition of crazy.

Oh right! As if medical physicians and medical exams—themselves rooted in and continuously reinforcing mental supremacy—will save us from putting heartless, souless supremacists in positions of leadership!!

Or prevent the burdens of power and authority from eating away at people in such positions!

As if the culture of “expertise” isn’t an integral part of this problem!

When what we define as fitness to lead puts soul, heart, and integral development first, we won’t need doctors—or other “experts”—to tell us who is and is not suited to lead.

We the people need to be the experts in this terrain. And yes, we can.

VyIsDerZoMennyMoreOrzizAzzizDenDerIzOrziz?

I’LL SECOND THAT MOTION, even though it would solve only 75% - 80% of the problem.  The challenge of dealing with the merely greedy and/or narcissistic would remain (indeed, who other than such induhviduals even run for office in this day and age), but at least your proposal would eliminate the worst of the worst.

ALL organizations are inherently corrupt, and the larger the organization — be it a club, a church, or a local, state or national government – the larger and more odorous the turds which float to the top of its leadership structure.

I’ve been thinking that any candidate running for President should also pass an exam proving that he’s read, knows and understands the Constitution. (The fact that Civics courses are no longer required in secondary school is national travesty anyway - how can young people evaluate a President according to the standards and ideals by which this country was established if they don’t even know what our government is supposed to be and do?)

Spread
Terror
And
Bully
Losers
Everywhere

Give
Everyone
Nauseating
Input
Until
Sick

Uncle! You made my day! My beloved dad, who’s been gone for 15 years, used to write that same horses’ asses statement, although he spelled it differently. Thanks for the smile.

You nailed it.

What IS your definition of crazy? I’m serious.

I don’t like the notion of defining crazy. But if I must, I would put waging unprevoked war as a number one sign of stark raving crazy.

Hello Alan,

Long time no hear.

I’m glad you are still going strong. I wish I could say the opposite about the disguised global empire.

With all due respect to the young Mr. Boyle, this is nothing but a dumb stunt. Sociopathic behavior, lacking in empathy, charity, tolerance, and humble self-introspection is rewarded in this country, and increasingly, globally.

Nothing in this proposal would have stopped Trump from getting the nomination of the Republican Party. Much has been said here and elsewhere that the art of successful politics (if you believe the goal is successful governance) is the art of compromise. In an ideal and sometimes functioning political atmosphere that is true, but it has also been true throughout time that another trait of successful politicians is the art of polished lying. Since the wealthy now own both monopolistic parties, I suggest that being a polished liar is the most important trait.

Here again, no test or ordeal would have stopped this debacle. It was plainly evident long before his presidential bid that Trump was and is a bald-faced liar. That evidence, falling on billions of ears so conditioned to national political lying, apparently judged him within the acceptable norm of political elevation.