Home | About | Donate

New Study Exposes 'Fatal Flaws' in California Fracking Rules

New Study Exposes 'Fatal Flaws' in California Fracking Rules

Nadia Prupis, staff writer

Affirming what environmentalists have long charged, a new study finds that hydraulic fracturing, or fracking, may be polluting the air, water, and wildlife in California—and scientists say state leaders are not doing enough to protect residents from the toxic side effects of the controversial drilling practice.

This is to be expected: "Affirming what environmentalists have long charged, a new study finds that hydraulic fracturing, or fracking, may be polluting the air, water, and wildlife in California—and scientists say state leaders are not doing enough to protect residents from the toxic side effects of the controversial drilling practice."

What is alarming is Obama's fix for the predicament: Craft international trade courts that can eliminate all environmental legislation.

I think the picture is the source from which the "water" should be drawn to waterboard Cheney and his secret energy panel.

Seriously, though, this country desperately needs more scientist and engineers in elected office if the precautionary principle is ever to be implemented. They would only bend so far for the lobbyists' schmoozing.

R-D, two sides of the same disgusting reality. My grandfather, who brought up his family in the last banker caused great depression used to tell me it was "better to have a gun and not need it than to need one and not have it. i laughed and answered Peace, Love and Good Vibrations...now i'm not so sure.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=HN56BFDsPK0#!

Hell man citizens only pay taxes and vote. The 1% pays for elections. Who you gonna listen to Bunkey?

Careful what you wish for. You would get scientists and engineers from Monsanto and Koch Industries. We need leaders at all levels detached from corporate and oligarch money. We need Bernie and a congress of BernieReps. We could control the house but only 1/3 of the senate. 2016 and 2018 could be a real political revolution.

A system that poisons the well in the middle of a drought is beyond irrational... it is insane.

Just listen to some of our presidential candidates and you will realize that this is not a problem. The invisible hand of the free market will force these companies out of business when the consumers stop buying oil and gas.

And of course the consumers will stop buying oil and gas because they will all be dead.

It's a shame that money and power always win out. The democrats are great with their speeches though and too many people believe them. The Republicans are not so good in hiding their intentions, they are out front and center most of the time despising certain categories of people. Not so the Democrats, they promise the moon and then join the Republicans to cozy up to Wall Street and big corporations.

Especially seeing both the oil and gas industries in Ca. are using close to 800 million gallons
of water a year. And instead they're blaming the pot farmers for drying up the streams.

The politicians have morphed into a neb-representative mode. Formerly they used to see public opinion and the wishes of the voter as survival in their job. Keep the voter happy and you'll get reelected etc.!

Now they see big campaign donations as survival and continued longevity in their offices and make no bones about it other than the usual media sound bites that pay lip service to representing voters.

Gov. Brown isn't the only politician who has ethical issues relating to campaign donations. The sad thing is that the time left to us before the damage begins to destroy the world as we know it is very short and politicians like Brown are quislings for deniers and ... shills for catastrophic climate change.

I would think that figure is more like 800 million gallons per day though.

The linked article says 2.14 million per day. But I'm not sure if it's the entire total for all oil and gas production in Ca..

I have only just read the article but at the end it says 224.5 million **barrels ** of water per day ( a barrel contains 55 gallons) that is used just for fracking type injection/extraction activities.

We both underestimated the actual amount. The article mentions that agriculture uses three times as much water ...

Pass the wine...care for an almond?

Those are seriously the most idiotic lyrics I've ever had torment my ears. But then again it is good old right wing country music.

The same genre of music where every time powerful psychopaths want to go turn a bunch of people into red mist for the benefit of the MIC, ignorant country music artists ejaculate more pro-war anthems into the airwaves and onto youtube channels.

It is time to get some brains not a fucking hot lead launching phallus. (directed at that mindset, that presumably you aren't a part of)

Oil money and 'interests' have always driven politics in CA, so nothing new under the sun here.
I for one would like to punch a few noses on both sides of the aisle, re, R and D politicians, the asshats!
Brown could choose to call emergency measures, but the strings and cables of influence are making dang sure that he does not.

Proof that left and rite have no relevance when it comes to polluters with money. Throw the bums out and vote green, at least.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.