Home | About | Donate

'New War for Oil?': Pentagon Chief Confirms US to 'Strengthen' Military Presence Near Syria Oil Fields

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/10/25/new-war-oil-pentagon-chief-confirms-us-strengthen-military-presence-near-syria-oil

2 Likes

The only strength this Nazi Presidentcy has is the stink of bullshit that flows constantly from their mouths on a daily basis! Congress needs to act NOW, to stop this continuing assault on our democracy! You lie? Goodbye! Impeach them ALL out! Peace

6 Likes

From the article:

“This is dangerous and unconstitutional.”

That’s the Twump Pwesidency in a nutshell.

4 Likes

I put zero trust in any announcement from the Trump administration.
They change from moment to moment, from one position to another in complete opposition.
Truly, there’s tweet for everything.

I’ll stick by my prediction: Putin will convince Trump he’s got this, no need to for the US to waste money protecting anything from ISIS.

3 Likes

Bomb the People and protect the Oil…assholes…

4 Likes
3 Likes

Trump has oil on the brain and has since before 2016. His foreign policy is truly " non-interventionist “; but becomes much less so when he can use physical force, or through intimidation, take things regardless if it’s legal or not. That he’s open about this makes it more frightening to marginalized and weaker hum…
" Excuse me: We interrupt our regular scheduled comment on President Trump’s war crimes to bring you this breaking story. 40 more women have come forward to publicly say they were raped or sexually assaulted by President Trump while interracting with him during business meetings and job interviews. Now, where was I? Oh yes, about President Trump using U.S. military forces to illegally confiscate and plunder other country’s resources and harm their citizenry…”
In 21st Century America so it goes and goes and…
Just another day in paradise, right?

4 Likes

I recall Trump leftists touting him as a clucking peacenik. They could/can never be bothered with rational analysis of the fascist jerk. During his campaign, he repeatedly talked about how the US should “take the oil” among other redneck fascist swamp ridden war mongering comments. Even today, there are Trump leftists writing columns calling out some hypocrisy of progressives of Trump not getting credit for “pulling out of Syria”. Well of course of course of course there should not be any troops in furtherance of US Empire. But, in their absolute glee for supporting this fucking fascist they can’t be bothered with assessing WHY this jerk gave the Turkish dictator jerk what he wanted.

Same thing with Ukraine. The Trump leftists will rail rightly against the aggressive NATO policy set to contain Russia and the danger of that, but they will NEVER acknowledge the obvious corrupt nature of Trump’s dealings with Putin and his mafioso approach to getting what he wants on a political opponent in Ukraine.

“Take the oil” sez the fascist jerk.

5 Likes

As the political warmongers have been saying for the last century… “How the hell did our oil end up in the ground on the other side of the planet”?

6 Likes

Trump’s video admission somehow brought this to mind:

Maybe I need therapy?

2 Likes

No it’s not Putin. The blame falls squarely on foreign lobbyist from Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Qatar and our own criminal enterprise, the CIA who set up the Timber Sycamore Program; a classified weapons supply and training program to flood the ME black market with US made weapons. Our government trained thousands of Syrian rebel fighters trained and equipped by US, UK and Arab governments in an effort to overthrow the Syrian government including:

• Delivery of thousands of tons of weaponry worth billions of US dollars.
  • Arms diverted to the Middle East black market; many sold to ISIS.
  • Criticism of Obama administration for insufficient support to rebel groups.
  • US led- Syria Train and Equipment continues to arm, train, and support the SDF with US lead airstrikes since 2017 and continues today.

The US, israel and the Saudi’s don’t want regime change. They want to overthrow governments. “Our position…could not be clearer: Assad must go”. Joe Biden, 2013 to the AIPAC policy conference.

5 Likes

I’m not blaming Putin. Putin won the war.

He will not stand for Trump settling troops on his oil. Who can blame him.

And there was nothing classified about the arms we funneled into the region or the way we worked every faction against the middle, scraping blood money off of every dumbass shooting at someone else.

“Our position could not be more clear – we’re going to do 1,000 contradictory things and profit by all of them…oh, and relax, Israel…they’re too dumb to notice how well instability pays.” – Clinton/Biden/Bush/Cheney/Pelosi/Schumer/AndSoOn…

5 Likes

Music is therapy Owl.

2 Likes

I don’t think you’re bring fair, man.

It was possible to note that during the campaign, Trump was running to Hillary’s left on the endless war issue, while also noting the incoherence of his other statements. He rubbed Jeb’s face in the lunacy of his brother’s Iraq War and he rubbed Hillary’s face in her vote to approve it. Hate him or not, he played that pretty well.

And it’s possible to note his just plain weird bromances with dictators, especially Putin, while also noting that we don’t care if Putin’s side won he Syrian Civil War and gets to sort out the Syrian peace. I’m glad we’re getting out, it’s one positive item in a universe of otherwise terrible moves by Trump, but fine by me. And I predict we ain’t getting shit for oil out of it – Putin will see to that.

And I haven’t seen any progressives applauding Trump’s illegal approach to digging up dirt in the Ukraine. I mean, damn, not even Repubs doubt Trump’s grifting – I’m pretty sure his base loves him for it. Sure, some of us are happy it’s soiling the Biden train by association, but that’s what you get when your son trades on the family name for fun and profit.

Now listen, I’m not looking to pick a fight, you’ve gotten hot under the collar before and I’m agreeing with your comment overall – I’m just saying that there’s a bit of nuance in the mix even if Trump is a fuckin nightmare. And the term “Trump leftist” is a provocation that’s too harsh.

Okay, have at me.

1 Like

And there lies the problem and a problem with absolutely no solution.

2 Likes

IMO
Reasons include 1oil 2 block Iranians/ also shield Israel 3 try to bring Kurds back on side 4 ?? Rally around the flag perhaps

1 Like

Well, I think we have to hand it to Trump. He has stripped us of the hypocritic illusion that our involvement in Syria ever had anything to do with protecting people and democracy. It was always about empire and protecting corporate profits. His latest acton makes that crystal clear.

5 Likes

It was always about taking out Assad, then destabilizing the entire country, cutting off Iranian access to Western Syria and having more hired mercenaries on Russia’s shared border. To reign yet more terror in that particular region. And, they’re not done trying yet.

6 Likes

If people weren’t dying and America’s honor stained as a consequence, Trump’s actions would be hilarious.

So my question is, "Why is it only Democrats and Progressive Congressional members criticizing this imperial move? Do Republicans believe this potential theft of another’s nation\s natural resources is an American right? Well do they and do the majority of the American people?

3 Likes