Home | About | Donate

New Warnings After Rig Breaks in 'Doomed' Shell Arctic Drilling Project

New Warnings After Rig Breaks in 'Doomed' Shell Arctic Drilling Project

Nadia Prupis, staff writer

Just days before its controversial Arctic drilling expedition is set to begin, Royal Dutch Shell hit yet another speedbump on the way to the Chukchi Sea—its own vessel.

On Friday, workers discovered a 39-inch hole in the hull of an ice management rig meant to safeguard the oil giant's drilling operations in the remote waters off the coast of Alaska. Crew members and the pilot on board the MSV Fennica found the hole after a ballast tank began leaking. The cause is unknown.

Given what we know on BP....Where are you Obama......Stonewalling for Cash....

"On Friday, workers discovered a 39-inch hole in the hull of an ice management rig meant to safeguard the oil giant's drilling operations in the remote waters off the coast of Alaska. Crew members and the pilot on board the MSV Fennica found the hole after a ballast tank began leaking. The cause is unknown."

Are we putting the future of the human race on this kind of magical thinking? It's the ice that made that hole, stupid.

smile this news about the hole in the ship makes me very happy. may they have several more in each ship, may the rig itself stop floating, and may obama get a major pain in his butt, literally, for even THINKING that giving Shell or any oil driller permission to drill in ANY body of water, much less a frozen one, is ok. that guy gives a whole new meaning to MIA.

Imagine that, another "investment vehicle" with holes in it. After the other one was 'grounded' for...?

Come on now, there is nothing in the article that indicates just when the hole as caused, though those on board probably have a pretty good idea. Since Unalaska mayor from Dutch Harbor weighing in on the topic it presumably happened there, it is not out in the open Bering Sea where the crab are caught.
I am sure as this vessel Finnish built, it is well engineered and has ballast and void tanks all around sides, stern and bottom. It would take a lot to dangerously damage an older 165 foot supply vessel and they have got both bigger and better. The one USCG dispatched by gun fire an ex-supply vessel,to avoid damage and pollution to Puerto Rico - they had a time of it.

smiley I dunno if there are "ecoterrorists" out there, but if there are, I'm putting out good vibes for 'em!!! I guess most of us here are doing the same......