Home | About | Donate

Nightmare of an October Surprise

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/08/26/nightmare-october-surprise

Is there another October surprise you can think of. This seems as likely as any other. And yes your nightmare would help trump and repub

And the seasons they go round and round, and the painted ponies go up and down. We’re captive on a carousel of time. we can’t return, we can only look behind from where we came, and go round and round and round in the circle game. And the years spin by, though his dreams have lost their presience coming true, We’re captive where we came. So the years spin by and now the boy is twenty, though the years have lost their grandeur coming true. And the seasons they go round and round, and the painted ponies go up and down. We’re captured on the carousel of time. We can’t return, we can only look behind from where we came, and go round and round and round in the circle game…

3 Likes

Far be it from me to say much that would help Dr. Gerson’s sleep. I have had my own bad dreams about November, and their materia prima is speculative, though a whole lot different than anything here.

The phrase October surprise comes from descriptions of George “the Elder” Bush wangling Ronald Reagan into office in 1980 by striking a deal with the Ayatollah in Iran to retain American prisoners until after the election, thereby making incumbent Jimmy Carter look bad. Robert Parry’s reporting from the time remains the sterling standard.

The implication is that all this has something to do with the American election process.

What Gerson presents here, however, makes a strange mix of the feasible and the fanciful. Clearly there are very strong and even very good motives for Russia to ally itself with China. Pepe Escobar of Asia Times has been writing of such things for few years now, and while his glee over the prospects makes me cautious, the possibility seems just too logical to ignore. There are considerable possible consequences for American foreign policy, but no special indications that this should effect an American election, still less that Putin would or could rig up an alliance over Russia’s longtime hostility with China as a personal favor to Donald Trump, however that might be seen to work.

Further, this “Putin has long connived” business is badly off base. The “Russian meddling” narrative fell flat in every possible way over years of investigation despite being pushed by one and another politician, publication, and alphabet agency. It’s not that Vladimir Putin is particularly honest or unconniving; it’s that he has little handle on an American election and not a lot to gain from Trump’s particular brand of instability, though it is clearly possible that he might regard Joe Biden or Mrs. Clinton as less stable, given their adventures pushing NATO east and arranging a coup in Ukraine. But it is not as though Trump has failed to do his share of sabre rattling, and the coups and encirculation games appear to have continued, though whether with more or less ferocity might be difficult to say.

There is actually nothing outrageous about the leaders of Russia and the United States having a diplomatic discussion. It is bloody well past time more of this sort of thing were done. How effective or ineffective that might be, given current American leadership, is another thing, but this is not the sort of thing that appears apt to improve in the next four years anyway, one way or the other.

3 Likes

Yeah, this analysis is dubious at best. The Russia-China relationship is getting stronger.

An obvious reason is their shared goal of working around the silly and ineffective sanctions regime the US imposes – Russia and China are combining to curtail, if not eliminate the role of the US$ as the world’s reserve currency. Have a way to go, but making progress.

1 Like

Diplomacy has never killed anyone. Lack of such certainly has though. A less diplomatic world will always be a more dangerous one.

Then maybe instead of the U.S. essentially keep shooting itself in the foot by being more bellicose and hawkish, maybe it can actually I dunno, help its own people for once?

1 Like

Where is this from? Or did you come up with this? Either way, I love how it characterizes the seeming futility of human existence. Thanks.

1 Like

I would like to know the source too. If it is original then really well done.

One thing that jumped out was the two trillion dollar figure allocated for upgrading nuclear weapons, warheads, etc. Makes me wonder how bad a shape they are in to need that amount of capital investment. Damn. How many of those things do we actually have??? I cannot imagine trump doing anything more idiotic than the production he’s executed this week, pandering and lying to his cult followers with his chief spokes zombies. Since with each turn, it gets worse; it doesn’t seem that he could possibly rise to win in November. People, it seems, will mobilize, en masse to remove this open, oozing sore from festering any longer on our historical record. It is time to move forward and leave the swamp in thé bayou.

Oh I doubt that. The Dems are currently actively trying to cancel all debates, which of course they will use Trump as the excuse but it is really to shield from the fact that should their Alzheimer’s patient get on the same stage as Trump, Trump would eviscerate him until barely a carcass remained.

These song verses are Joni Mitchell “Circle Game” late 1960’s.
“His dreams have lost their grandeur coming true. There’ll be
new dreams, maybe better dreams and plenty,
before his last revolving day is through.
And the seasons, they go round and round,
And the painted ponies go up and down.
We’re captive on a carousel of time.
We can’t return, we can only look,
behind from where we came,
and go round and round and
round in the circle game.”

Any attempt Trump makes to ‘eviscerate’ Biden as a career politician with “no record to stand on” wouldn’t be much of an evisceration of Joe’s character especially coming from a sexual predator who avoids expressions of empathy and genuine concern while pursuing animosity between classes. The Haves vs the Have Nots. Suburban republican officers of the law over darker neighborhoods. Church-ified liberal-hating SUV and jacked up truck drivers, air conditioners blasting, awaiting stoplights to turn and let them go nowhere faster.

Millions of people globally have been reporting intense dreams this year, even before Covid. So intense it’s upset their sleep cycle. The common theme has been total, complete disruption of the status quo by forces outside of the usual suspects, and then being told we are the ones to decide our futures. Not big corporations or corrupt governments, not even by Trump and Putin. We all know, subliminally, great change is coming.
Every twenty years or so, there is The Great Conjunction between Jupiter and Saturn. Civilizations from the Mayans to ancient Persia and China, ancient Egypt, and the Hopi peoples here on Turtle Island, have known that signifies change. Using Jungian analogies, this fits our current unrest. All the hidden troubles we’ve tried to keep down, such as the racial and class divide in the US, are boiling up like a hidden magma pool.
We can become the change we want to see. Count on it.