Home | About | Donate

Nine Reasons to Oppose the Trump Administration's Proposed SNAP Changes

Nine Reasons to Oppose the Trump Administration's Proposed SNAP Changes

Sarah Reinhardt

On Tuesday, April 2nd, the Trump administration closes a public comment period on proposed changes to the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP, or food stamps) that could leave hundreds of thousands of unemployed and underemployed adults unable to meet their basic needs.

0 Likes

I think the poor have the right to die with dignity. Why would they want to prolong lives of poverty especially when no politician except for Bernie is their champion?

0 Likes

My personal approach to this overall issue would be to simply guide the discussion toward further contemplation of a guaranteed basic income. Thinking of the cornucopia so oft used in Thanksgiving imagery, I always remember that the bounty of a land should be shared by all. The preservation of food insecurity to lower wage pressures in a land that can feed every citizen is an abomination. One among too many to mention.

2 Likes

Hi WiseOwl— I cannot fathom why government thinks that 3 months is enough time on food stamps. It’s not like a lot of companies pay a living wage. As long as the military doesn’t have a clue as to where its money has gone, and as long as Israel has had $ support for their nation of Israel for 70 years ----I think it’s criminal that some fat cats have decided that 3 months is long enough for food help.
MAYBE they need to raise the prices in the House and Senate dining rooms----because if those elected people have a minimum of $174,000 a year and need subsidized food-- prices-- then they must be insane to expect unemployed workers to be able to survive on 3 months of food aid. : (

2 Likes

Trump is simply nickle and diming the lower class programs and trickling it up to give to tax cut recipients or to fund a wall.
Who really knows how much is stolen for other purposes.

2 Likes

While that;s a thought- it won’t happen.

0 Likes

Did you hear this- both Dump’s daughter and son in law won the lottery.

0 Likes

I still say this- people living in poverty should have the right to die with dignity- in other words sometimes that is better than to keep going with the inevitable.

0 Likes

What a bizarro nation we live in…where people feel that depriving their fellow Americans of food or dictating their choices and behaviors is somehow virtuous and right.

5 Likes

You forgot the damage to Walmart’s bottom line.
The last time food stamps were cut the Walton
family whined about a drop in profits. They were
all for the cuts in food stamps and could care less about
people, including children going hungry, but whined
about seeing less money.

5 Likes

OK, my antenna are up.

0 Likes

I wonder if Bernie’s proposal to have Walmart pay for the food stamps that they foist upon employees, and therefore the government. Can’t just pay a fair wage I guess.

1 Like

There is a simple solution to this. Steal the food you need - do it without any feeling of guilt whatsoever. Do it a gunpoint, we fortunately live in a country with such a glut of guns that even a destitute person can find a gun somewhere.

0 Likes

Oh mealouts -but no one in America should have to worry about dying with dignity, or dying without ti. Every citizen should have food, a roof, and health care . Since the 21st century began , so many Americans have lost a lot and some have never gained anything in the first place. When I first heard of MAGA, I was clueless as to what that meant— It almost sounded like , “maggot,” as I was not used to hearing MAGA.
America has sadly devolved back into Charles Dickens land----“Please sir, May I have more?” Is a common thought nowadays—and not a comforting thought either. :Maggot: makes more sense as America is rotting away: (

1 Like

Sick pieces of crap they are, and they got this inheritance from their daddy.

0 Likes

Wouldn’t it be better to die with dignity than rot away in poverty? Countries in Europe do this, and so should we. And poverty did not start in the 21st century mind you, but was exasperated by the global crash which was lobbied for by Wall Street and congress and signed by then President Clinton.

0 Likes

Yes, I heard this recently- another thing in the shadows about all the “fixes” of corruption of Dump and his band of thieves.

0 Likes

The idea is if they are deprived they will work for it. The thing is most poor people are already working two or three jobs and are homeless. The old Puritan ethic is that if you are rich you must be successful and deserve to be rewarded.

1 Like

And the punishment mentality of this Amin continues. Would much father see then investing time and energy into creating opportunities not punishments.

2 Likes

Mussolini used that after Italy went into depression after WW1. It worked for awhile, but we know how he ended up. Also, poor people did not cause the global financial crash- Wall Street and the banks and real estate brokers did with the help of Clinton and congress.

2 Likes