Home | About | Donate

Nissan Faces Crackdown from Politicians, Civil Rights Leaders Over Harassment of African-American Workers

Nissan Faces Crackdown from Politicians, Civil Rights Leaders Over Harassment of African-American Workers

NAACP

CANTON, MISS. - Major national elected and civil rights leaders—including U.S. Sen. Bernie Sanders (D-VT), actor Danny Glover, NAACP President Cornell William Brooks, and former Ohio State Sen. Nina Turner — hand delivered a letter to Nissan officials at a factory in Canton, Miss. Saturday, demanding the company halt its ongoing harassment of African-American workers who are organizing to form a union.

###

MLK was adamant about the fact that all Civil Rights flowed from Economic Rights, and specifically Workers' Rights. We must remember that King's last great undertaking was what he called a “Poor People’s Campaign” – because King realised that without economic justice there can be no social justice. It was on the eve of the planned Poor People’s March on Washington that King was assassinated. Everyone remembers that he was shot in Memphis, but few remember what he was doing there. King was in Memphis to support the striking Memphis Sanitation Workers, who were locked in a struggle for better working conditions and higher wages.

Indeed, it was in Memphis, in support of those workers, that King delivered one of his most memorable speeches: "I've seen the Promised Land. I may not get there with you. But I want you to know tonight that we, as a people, will get to the Promised Land”. These words were spoken not in the context of a race-based civil rights march, but on a broad-based economic struggle to support and protect workers in Memphis. When he spoke of "we, as a people" he meant poor people, working people.

Bernie Sanders marched with MLK. He knew what King stood for, and he has taken King's message to heart. Like King, Bernie Sanders realises that Civil Rights and Social Justice are all built upon a foundation of Economic Justice and Workers' Rights.