Home | About | Donate

No Change in Spain: New Vote Reflects a Still Divided Electorate

No Change in Spain: New Vote Reflects a Still Divided Electorate

Charles Gasparovic

The Spaniards went back to the ballot boxes today, six months after their December 20 general elections concluded without a majority winner.

One can't help but wonder if the dates of the two elections had been reversed, Brexit and Spain, would the outcome be different given the hard right reaction of the EU PTB and the markets. Nevertheless, Podemos didn't lose its share of voters, indicating a strong commitment by its followers, an essential ingredient for the future of any progressive movement.

The economic time bombs, such as 2008, are built on time frames much longer than the election cycle of any country and are due to multiple instances of mistakes and more often outright chicanery. That is why Bernie, the only candidate with long term vision, was (and hopefully [c'mon unicorns] is) our best hope.

I was wondering the same thing about the timing of the Spanish election coming only two days after the result of the Brexit voteTwo days is time enough for a knee-jerk fear-of-change based vote but not time enough to evaluate the result in light of one's own situation in Spain.

How does Spain vote, physically? Paper ballots, machines, etc.?

I always want to know how votes are counted.

Yep, whenever I see a line like this:

"Pre-election polls just a week ago predicted that an alliance of Podemos and its affiliated regional parties with the United Left (Izquierda Unida, IU) and Equo, a reformulated party of Greens, would comfortably supplanted the PSOE at second place and pave the way for leftist coalition at the head of government. But this prediction turned out to be strikingly inaccurate."

My election-fraud Spidey-senses start tingling.

I'm thinking that as people get more and more fed up with this ripoff, globalized world, election results are going to get more and more absurd. We just had a doozy here in the U.S., where football stadiums were filled by the losing candidate (Sanders) and the "winner" couldn't draw files except for super-rich donors at private parties.