Home | About | Donate

No Holiday for Honduran Anti-Mining Activists Fighting for Freedom

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/12/25/no-holiday-honduran-anti-mining-activists-fighting-freedom

2 Likes

Colonization has never ended. It evolved and changed shape over the decades and centuries. The “rights” of investors and extractive, colonizing corporations trump the rights of communities and natural systems to exist. A diseased economic system that has now undermined the function of natural systems on a global scale, still blind to the obvious outcomes of the model, even as mass extinction and civilizational collapse loom.

Communities on the front lines of today’s colonizing enterprises do not just deserve solidarity. They (and we all) deserve for the entire economic system to be resisted, disrupted, overthrown and replaced with economies that fundamentally respect communities and ecology.

2 Likes

Copper is used in plumbing. So, housing. What else? Pennies? Copper and zinc make brass. I might have to replace my 1952 conn4h trombone some day. What part of the economy uses so much copper? Computers? Ah, the Military. Jet engines. Bullets.
And those fucking military medals. But, I guess we’re gonna have to blow some shit up after the virus goes away just get economy goin again.

Very little copper in modern pennies, i think mostly zinc now. Let me look… yes, since 1982, 97.5% zinc, 2.5% copper (copper plated).

The thing that makes me cuckoo, is this presumption that because we can access some “resource,” therefore we must and shall access that “resource.”

i recall Buckminster Fuller, 50 or so years ago, saying we should stop all mining, and work going forward with what we’ve already extracted. Unthinkable! Unthinkable to people driven by GDP and quarterly production and profit reports.

But some of us find it “unthinkable” that we should destroy communities and ecosystems and call it “profit.”

What do we actually need? What could we do without? Such questions are “unaskable” by the colonizing profiteering extractivists, but despite their self-justifying propaganda, we can’t “do without” the ecology of the Earth, and we can’t “do without” human communities.

i’ve been blaming the whole economic model on liberalism, “The Enlightenment,” and the Scientific Revolution. In practice, Descartes’ famous dictum “Cogito, ergo sum” - “I think, therefore I am” - has been operationalized in the diseased Euro-centric mind-set that colonized the world as “I think, therefore I am separate from and superior to nature, and can cut everything into tiny pieces.”