Home | About | Donate

'No Justice': Israel Clears Itself for 2014 Killing of Children on Gaza Beach

'No Justice': Israel Clears Itself for 2014 Killing of Children on Gaza Beach

Sarah Lazare, staff writer

The Israeli military announced Thursday it has exonerated itself for killing four children on a beach in Gaza during last summer's seven-week military assault on the besieged strip, prompting expressions of outrage and demands for justice from family members and international journalists who witnessed the attack.

Well, well, well. How american of them.

A blanket attack, without fact or background. SliMShaDy, thank you for giveing me a reason to ignore you forever.

I lament that the massive injustice that is Israel, the lawless state that Israel has always been, has not led to a single American government leadership coalition to tell it like it is, and say that our support is support for obvious injustice and murder.

Always remember that claiming that injustice is justification for injustice is moral equivalency, and no matter how bad somebody else is, you are judged by what you do.

I am shamed that I am an American and am so powerless to change such an obvious, ongoing, wrong, that is our support of this raciest, criminal, immoral, country.

This is the country from which America learned the arrogance of exceptionalism.

BOYCOTT BEN & JERRY'S ICE CREAM! THEY HAVE ICE CREAM SHOPS IN THE ILLEGALLY OCCUPIED TERRITORIES OF PALESTINE.

counterpunch.org/2015/05/12/its-time-to-boycott-ben-jerrys/

A Company Can’t Call Itself Progressive and Remain Silent on Palestine
It’s Time to Boycott Ben & Jerry’s
by MARK HAGE
In 2011, Vermonters for a Just Peace in Palestine/Israel began a discussion with Ben & Jerry’s in South Burlington, Vermont, concerning their long-standing contractual relationship with an Israeli franchise that manufactures ice cream in Israel proper and sells it in Israel settlements in the occupied West Bank and East Jerusalem.

These settlements – fortified colonies for Jews only – contravene international law. Ben & Jerry’s knows this. It knows, too, that the company’s Social Mission and history of supporting progressive causes cannot be reconciled with its franchise’s commercial ties to the settlements.

Despite what it knows and the values that define its corporate identity, Ben & Jerry’s refuses to stop its Israeli franchise from making money in the settlements.

The decision to call for a boycott

VTJP’s thinking reached a tipping point during Israel’s massive military assault against Gaza in the summer of 2014, the third in less than six years. 2,200 Palestinians were killed and more than 11,000 wounded. The casualties were overwhelmingly civilians.

Because Gaza’s morgues could not handle the horrific carnage, bodies of dead children and babies had to be stacked temporarily in ice cream freezers prior to burial.

While this massacre of innocents was being carried out, Ben & Jerry’s “peace & love” ice cream was passing through Israeli checkpoints, being transported on Jewish-only roads, and being sold to supermarkets and at catered events in those Jewish-only settlements.

A company can’t call itself progressive and remain silent on Palestine

It’s now clear that appealing to Ben & Jerry’s socially responsible “conscience” alone will not achieve our objectives.

Since 2013, the year our campaign went public, thousands of individuals and 239 organizations in 20 countries, including Israel, and from the District of Columbia and the occupied Palestinian territory, have called on Ben & Jerry’s to honor its Social Mission by severing its franchise’s business with Israeli settlements.

Jeff Furman, chairperson of Ben & Jerry’s Board of Directors, traveled to Occupied Palestine in 2012 with a group of American civil rights’ leaders. He described what he saw there as “apartheid.”

A Ben & Jerry’s delegation traveled to Israel/Palestine in 2014, as VTJP had urged. Participants met with anti-occupation activists, and some toured the West Bank. They learned from credible sources and saw with their own eyes the brutal measures and humiliations that afflict Palestinian life.

VTJP also informed the company in 2014 that its franchise may be purchasing equipment from an illegal Israeli enterprise in the occupied [Syrian] Golan Heights.

In spite of all this, the company has refused not only to stop its practices, but to even issue a statement calling for an end to Israel’s occupation and settlements.

Therefore, a boycott.

Moving forward

The company and its U.S. shop owners received a letter shortly before VTJP’s third-annual, Free Cone Day protests on April 14 informing them of our boycott action.

VTJP also announced its boycott call with an original “cantastoria” and video called “No Justice, No Sweets.” The Apartheid Adventures media collective, on its own initiative, produced a brilliant satirical video called “Licking Apartheid.”

Our boycott call is being disseminated through the social media and organizational networks of Palestine solidarity and peace groups around the world.

Ben & Jerry’s has responded with a brief posting on its webpage. It’s a classic example of “redirection through misdirection,” as we pointed out in a rebuttal.

Much organizing work remains to be done, of course. VTJP calls on people of conscience around the world to endorse and contribute to this boycott.

Mark Hage is an activist with Vermonters for a Just Peace in Palestine/Israel. He can be contacted at icecream@vtjp.org.

Israel Clears Itself for 2014 Killing of Children. The world hasn't.

WRONG!!! america is at the head of the ollllld class for that.

before seeing your post, i was going to say that israel needs to be charged with war crimes and the u.s. charged w/ same AND being an accomplice. disgusting. not to derail, but if bermie is going to support these thugs, count my family's votes O U T.

► You could at least concede they were human shields

Lol Slim,

That is very American. Just let the Fox investigate himself after being caught with chicken feathers all over his mouth.

The LAPD has launched an investigation into the beating of Rodney King and found nothing...
The Army has launched an investigation on Abu Gravebh Prison and found no orders to torture...
The SEC has launched investigations of Wall Street for the 2008 Meltdown and found nothing....

Whatever, dude. Thank you for allowing me to return the favor. Now, who the hell are you?

And Hitler didn't kill any Jews, either.....................did he?.

You might consider reading the article you challenge, or the thousands of other articles revealing that there were a number of eye witnesses, including various international journalists.

Ben and Jerry sold out to a corporate giant: Unilever conglomerate.

Of course international laws don't matter to Israel. After all, that's exactly how "God" tells them it should be: make no treaties with outsiders, pay them no mind except to take their land and kill anybody who resists, and you shall be "the apple of my eye." And this was the beginning of ethics and morality in civilization? I don't fucking think so.

yes exceptionalism has been around for a long time but some apply it more forcefully than others like absolving themselves for torture and killing of innocent and targeting civilians in military conflicts. I guess if it has been around since 1600 it is civil and ok

Nineteen, I would add: and they don't prosecute war criminals.

Saskatchitani isn't saying that it's ok and civil, s/he is pointing out that US exceptionalism long predates the depredations practiced by the "exceptional" IDF (the world's most moral army, as they like to call themselves).