Home | About | Donate

No More Bodies: The Bucket of Anger That Is Already Stirring

No More Bodies: The Bucket of Anger That Is Already Stirring

Even as the Justice Department takes over the civil probe of Eric Garner's death and the country's largest police group laments the "historical mistreatment" of people of color, cops continue gunning down black men. Tuesday marks the start of the trial of a former Cincinnati cop who killed Samuel DuBose, father of 13, seconds into a traffic stop. Video, says the prosecutor, shows, "This is without question a murder." The message of activists demanding a conviction: We saw the video, and "we see you."

…and Trump’s their guy!

This is so far beyond Trump…

I know that “we” cannot understand how it feels to be subjected to this kind of fear every time you wake up in the morning. No matter where you go or even if you stay in your own home, the threat of misunderstanding, of being targeted by someone who is not “thinking” clearly or is high on adrenalin is just constant for people of color. But it goes much deeper, much further. It goes to how people were brought up, how they learned to think and feel, how they were “trained” before and after becoming “Officers”. We have simply got to mandate training across the nation. We cannot wait any longer. Minds can be changed. I’ve seen it, and I know it can be done, if we are willing to try to focus in on good training techniques, and get away from so much WAR and Killing is Okay thinking. Our Police Officers are fighting for their lives too, out there. It has to be awful to feel that you are not trusted, that you are looked upon as evil. After all, they are supposed to be PEACE OFFICERS. The facts is, they need proper training if we expect them to ACT like peace officers. The wrong training is damaging those new officers and the older ones, too. Americans could be voicing this to our locals and our federal leaders, that the right training must take precedent and it must happen now.

Can “good training” overcome a lifetime of racism and a culture that celebrates killing as solution to its problems?

Fueled By Outrage:
Turning Swords Into Compassionate Action

I don’t know where to begin. Shall I start With Michelle
Obama’s speech, skillfully channeling her profound hurt and anger, her words redolent
of truth, denouncing Trump and de-normalizing his hate toward women?
Conservative Marybeth Glenn forsaking Trump because of his misogyny and sharply
challenging her fellow conservatives to join her? Or Robert De Niro’s unusual
(for him) public proclamation and take-down of Trump? Let’s not forget the release
of “13th,” Ava DuVernay’s scorching, painful, brilliant, documentary that
connects the historical dots of endemic racial injustice, inequality, and
violence in our country. And Women’s Boat to Gaza, 13 activists bringing world
attention and supplies to the isolated and suffocating occupied territory,
spearheaded by a retired U.S. Army colonel and a Nobel Peace Prize recipient? So
inspiring are the widening non-violent actions against oil pipelines in the
American West by Native and non-native peoples. This week, it’s been people doing
their level-headed best to stand for our collective humanity, to advocate, to
struggle.

One thread that runs through it all is channeling our outrage.
That we hurt demonstrates we are human. That we react emotionally also conveys our
common instincts. But to be hurt and not react blindly, to let the traumatic
impacts settle and sink deeply into our roots of peace, that takes doing. Yet
we are seeing more and more people doing just this. Bravo!

I still hear Sister Chan Khong, lifetime collaborator of Thich Nhat Hanh, at Deep Streams Zen Institute’s recent program, “Being Peace In Divisive Times.” She focused on anger, and conveyed how to face it without suppressing, ignoring, or pretending it is not there. In word, song, and presence, she showed us how to stop — resisting the urge to react impulsively. Coming home, grounding ourselves in focused,
kindly attentiveness: Being peace. Responses then emerge as skillful action,
compassionate expression.

Many of us are looking for ways to create “safe zones,” as much inside ourselves as with
others, so that we stay “fit for duty” as agents of transformation, what Buddhists call
Bodhisattvas. At the moment of most extreme strain, when reactivity and outrage is at its highest, when it feels like there is no safe place and despair and hopelessness prevail, we can turn
to our deep resources— inside us and with and for our communities— to create a
safe place to think, feel, and be. We can come home to our collective humanity and
respond in accord.

I agree with every thing you say RenewHope. In a sane and working democracy, we wouldn’t be having this discussion at all.
Unfortunately, I think the police are getting the “proper training” for the really dreadful, dismal days ahead in the not too distant future. And we’re being “trained” too.

“Good training” isn’t going to happen. Local PDs have already been ‘trained’: in Israel-style police brutality/crowd control and the 1% plan to keep it that way. The 1% knows it will need citizen repression when the 99% REALLY get angry. Beware, all people of color, ALL US citizens of the 99%. " Ask not for whom the bell tolls. It tolls for thee."