Home | About | Donate

No More Silence About the Torture of Animals

No More Silence About the Torture of Animals

Linda McQuaig

There is an odd disconnect between the way we embrace our pets as family while allowing animals that are similarly sweet and endearing to live miserable lives on factory farms—and to endure horrific deaths

I think that all of us who eat animal flesh, should hold ourselves responsible to watch the available videos depicting the quality of life of those animals which we eat. I have long felt that the only reason we’re able to sit down and enjoy a nice steak, for instance, is that we intentionally block out our knowledge of what that cow went through in its life to arrive on our plates.
One must ask oneself if one would put that cow through that kind of suffering if one had to bear witness to the cow’s suffering on a day to day basis.
Or is it just the fact that someone else inflicts the suffering, that makes us able to enjoy the steak?
Out of sight, out of mind. This is not living consciously.

I’t not just the guilt about torture you should feel while eating that steak. Don’t you realize that you just PAID them to torture animals?
It is possible to eat animals from real farms where they live natural enjoyable lives. I cannot feed my pampered pets dog food that came from tortured animals. I make it all from scratch at home.

It’s ‘enjoyable’ to be loaded in a truck and taken to an abattoir and cruelly slaughtered, is it? No animal wants to die anymore than we humans do. Why eat meat at all? It’s not necessary and it’s much healthier not to.

There’s always the argument that these animals would not have any life at all, if they weren’t raised for meat.
It’s not like they’re born in the wild and then captured and brought to a factory farm.
So, I guess the question is: is the life they are forced to live better than no life at all, or worse?
I sometimes succumb to eating “humanely” raised meat (usually chicken), using the argument previously stated.
But mostly, I am vegan, and, knock on wood, very healthy at 72 years old… knock on wood again!

CindyEby:

It was those “real farms” decades ago that foreshadowed today’s commercial farms, and everything done to “livestock” animals on industrial farms originated with your “family farmer.” As for these small farms, since they are businesses, and all businesses like to grow and expand, these farms, too, if economically successful, will grow and expand into bigger businesses. And even on these kinds of farms, animals are still denied lives worth living. For example, their autonomy is restricted or denied, such as not being free to eat what they like, when they want to eat, with whom to share their food and beds, etc. It’s all for the farmer’s convenience and profit.

That’s a choice they’ll never get. So we just assume they’d rather be alive before we take their lives, not because we are suffering from hunger or famine, but because it feeds our egos to have the power to play God with the universe. If you respect animals, the only moral imperative is to be 100% vegan for life. At least you can try. Cheers.

With all of the food available and the storage technology available today, people don’t need to eat meat; they don’t need the concentrated protein or the need to store it for the winter in a living animal.

When you harvest an annual wheat the plant is already dead by the time you take its seeds so there is no primal scream to signal its death throes. It is already dead. But, on the other hand, does a pea scream when you harvest its seeds green or is it just that you can’t hear it? The nature of the world is that every species has a genetic profile to live; every living thing is programmed for survival and every living thing avoids death as long as possible. Just because you can’t hear or feel the end of a life doesn’t mean anything more that the fact that you can’t. It doesn’t mean it isn’t happening.

"but because it feeds our egos to have the power to play God with the universe."
Not.
Way too high a level of thinking. People eat meat because they have grown up eating meat and think it tastes good. They are completely unaware of anything but satisfying their own personal desires of the moment.

I’m thinking humans are no less animal than animals;
actually the most animal of all animals,
the most cruel animal, human.
Prez T in an orange-hair pig mask,
whose face is supposedly human,
but more brute animal than human.

“[T]he video clearly shows a large brown cow thrashing about on the floor, trying to get up, as blood gushes out of a gaping wound on her neck. A black-and-white cow similarly struggles on the floor, while a worker bends over and cuts her throat. Cows hoisted upside down, dangling from one leg, appear to be still [Alive] while workers tear off their skin with knives.”

Albert Schweitzer: “We must fight against the spirit of unconscious cruelty with which we treat the animals. Animals suffer as much as we do. True humanity does not allow us to impose such sufferings on them. It is our duty to make the whole world recognize it. Until we extend our circle of compassion to all living things, humanity will not find peace.”

Thank you Linda. Veganism: good for us, the planet, the animals.

There’s a logical fallacy at work in all such “justifications” of creating life for some purpose or other. You can’t compare any kind of life for some existing animal – good or bad – to “the life of that animal were it never to have existed” since, obviously enough, the latter is an incoherent notion.

Actually, I don’t see it as a “justification” for eating organic, humanely raised animals. I don’t really care about eating meat anymore, no cravings and such. But it seems to me that an animal that had a good life, brought into life in order to end up as food for someone but nevertheless had a decent. free and enjoyable life, and a quick humane death, is a life worth living. Of course there’s usually the doubt about whether or not the claims of the company for giving the animal a good life, are actually the truth of the situation. That’s why I usually just pass, even on “organic” meat.

You could use the same argument on humans to justify a murder. Well, you had a good enjoyable life, so it’s okay if I kill you now. Would you protest? Sure you would.Killing is wrong, it kills something in you as you kill the other creature. If you wouldn’t do it to a human, why change the argument for another kind of sentient consciousness?

Fair enough; but, while there are certainly more or less humane ways to raise animals, there is no “humane” way to take the life of an innocent animal simply to satisfy the taste buds/conventions/habits of humans.

Plants are sentient also.
OMG, I find myself arguing for meat eating… forget it!

This is the night of all nights appropriate to consideration of the issues raised in this excellent post. I raise a few cows for milk in open pastures, and they are like family, with individual names, personalities, habits, likes and dislikes. The treatment factory farmed cows receive is abhorrent to me. But one day, an extra young bull will be eaten. He will receive a painless intravenous injection of chloral hydrate (hospital grade sleeping med), fall asleep while goodbye is taken lovingly, and blood is slowly drained from the external jugular vein painlessly.

I can imagine a day when meat is so expensive as to exceed the goal of the most vigorous boycott, this being backed by the certainty that we humans will increase by 50% in just 100 years. No animal product can keep up with the current level of demand. ‘We’ will have to treat meat as we currently do truffles, harvested once a year in the shade of mature chestnut trees - a rare treat.

When that day comes, I hope we will wisely reserve meat, liver, marrow fat, butter, cream, cheese, milk for the very young, because their brains need the nutrients to develop fully.

Contrary to what many would like to believe, so-called humane farming is also a myth. Killing or otherwise using animals for their flesh, eggs, milk, etc. is just plain wrong. A vegan diet is a win-win situation - for the animals who suffer and for the environment which also suffers from animal exploitation.

There is no such thing as a “good life” for an animal used for food, clothing, or otherwise exploited.