Home | About | Donate

No Need To Wait for the Future: Global Warming Impacts Are Happening Right Here, Right Now

No Need To Wait for the Future: Global Warming Impacts Are Happening Right Here, Right Now.

Astrid Caldas

One thought hit me today, and it was not a very optimistic one. I thought that one may get so used to the fact that that month after month temperature records are being broken, that the issue of global warming would somehow become an afterthought, or a “cry wolf” phenomenon.

Not much need to say more about action needed to people in the Northeast or on the West Coast. But try telling that to people in coal mining country in Kentucky.

India 2015 summer about 2,500 people dead because severe heatwaves. late April into May 2016, 300 plus people dead, heat about 123 degrees F. for weeks. Massive crop failures, etc. Guess what? It is coming to Your Town, USA., and Jesus ain't coming to save you.

You give those coal miners clean, green, new deal jobs from Jill's Stein's administration, and they will gladly kiss the coal mines goodbye for good.

Name-calling an entire segment of the population is not going to help anything. To be clear, I am no friend of coal. It was the widespread areal devastation wrought by surface mining here where I grew up in eastern Ohio that shaped much of my attitudes about the environment and politics when I was young. Maybe you should try to learn the hard particulars about the coal industry before you slam the ordinary folks living under its yoke. Most of the rights to coal seams are severed from the surface rights and are owned by large coal-mining interests. The citizens - miners and non-miners alike - have little to no say in whether the mining continues.

Much of the coal rights were severed (sold by the surface owners to coal-mining interests) from the surface in the various depressions and recessions of the 1800's and early 1900's when farmers and settlers struggled to stay financially afloat.

It is not just Kentucky: most of West Virginia, western Pennsylvania, and eastern Ohio continue to bear the brunt of coal-mining devastation, and the miners are willingly or un-willingly mobilized to continue the coal-fired energy industry in this and all other recent election cycles. Maybe you saw the story carried here about the Canfield Fair in Mahoning County, Ohio, just south of Youngstown. There is very little coal mining in that part of Ohio, but the coal industry mobilized some miners to rally for Trump, more coal mining and usage. For any politician, from local to national in this region, being against coal (or more generally, pro environment) is the political kiss of death. And with the shale gas boom those same interests have smoothly segued to that industry. Several of the US House reps from this region are leading the charge to abolish the EPA, though I don't know why they even bother since that agency has mostly already been de-fanged and de-clawed by corporate capitalism. The Ohio EPA is a joke and a fraud, completely in the pockets of corporate interests.

Well, I found this title a bit misleading when compared to the content of the article. I was hoping that it would mention some more scientifically validated impacts of global warming. The field of biology has produced a lot of research that has been indicating climate change from global warming. I would have liked to have heard of more research findings like certain plants sprouting at different times of the years, times of bird migrations changing, insects emerging at different times. That kind of stuff. Biological research has been rich with such indicators.