Home | About | Donate

No New Charter Schools – NAACP Draws Line in the Sand

No New Charter Schools – NAACP Draws Line in the Sand

Steven Singer

In the education market, charter schools are often sold as a way to help black and brown children.

But The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) isn’t buying it.

In fact, the organization is calling for a halt on any new charter schools across the nation.

Politicians, as a rule, know nothing about education, which should be guided by nonpartisan educators with minimal input from industry, etc. It is time to transform education into the opportunity to create informed and competent citizens and away from the training to bark like a seal for some career path. A truly educated person is much like the utility infielder in baseball--nimble in mind and versatile in skill. To do less is to cheat the student by condemning them to a narrow life path, which was the intent of public education in America (see Rockefeller/Gates).

Oh, and by the way, the charter school system (scheme) sucks!

Agreed. Where I've seen things going awry is in a shift to performance and away from critical thinking, synthesis, and creativity. I did some tutoring funded by No Child Left Behind and encountered a very bright little girl who was terribly anxious about her performance, wouldn't formulate an answer to a question on her Social Studies chapter in her own words, and argued with me that a very engaging science experiment hadn't dealt with "weight," only "mass." That's the problem, too, with the "show how you got there" requirement with the recent arithmetic approach.

Ya, well we noticed the NAACP endorsed Clinton so good luck with getting her to end corporate education. She plans to follow in Obama's footsteps so, if you always do what you always did you will get what you always have. Another corporate neocon whether Dem or Republican will continue as it has been.

Dede--love it! It's the definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over but expecting different results. But, but but--I just had a but, but thought after reading about the new southern activists: what if the Bernies use charter schools to start revolutionary education. I was a teacher and you can't move or reform schools without a massive effort that peters out as soon as someone graduates. Instead, maybe progressive young teachers could band together to form their own small neighborhood ( charter) schools that give students the ratios of teacher to student that children thrive under. It would be fun to see the Neo Lib/cons hoist with their own petard.

I like the idea. I would strongly support any group or group of teachers that can give our kids the education they need and not the one the corporations want to dumb us down with.
I have two young granddaughters struggling with Common Core, teach to the test, expectations. I've seen the tests and believe me they are outrageous. Teachers are a treasure and should be supported as such. If they are going to tear down public education it would be great for some teachers to build up the kind of schooling the kids really need for a well rounded education.

Does that mean you're volunteering?

Good for the NAACP, and for Steven Singer for capturing so well one of the big problems. The very foundational problem, however, is exactly what's done in the best health-care system on the planet: putting profit into the equation of a basic need of civilized society.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Dede--I agree, teachers are a treasure, just like nurses, social workers and all the traditionally "women's" jobs where people go to serve. They sure don't do it for money, even tho my Union was strong so I'm not complaining. But try to get the administrations to see that. Or the school board. I live in a very liberal town and for the last 20 years, a bunch of rich, white narcissistic yuppies on the school board have cut funds, closed schools, ignored the Black parents and blamed the teachers union. They're gone now, but they were EVIL!

Nope. I did my time. I'm not as strong as Bernie tho I'm as old as he is. Time for you effing yuppies to step up now. But thanks for the self righteous snark.

"Moreover, charters should not be allowed to kick students out for disciplinary reasons."

Yes, because that policy seems to be working wonders in public schools:

I suppose I should find some flattery in being called young. But I don't really appreciate ageism either. I do consider myself a professional, but that's the only part of that label that applies.

Btw, I merely asked a question. You're the one who said what someone else should do.

The NAACP has it right. I've worked in Charter Schools, and at least those that I have been in are a poor excuse for education.

Bkswrites--yuppies aren't young anymore. They're in their 50s. That looks like it fits you. And yes--you "just asked a question" (innocent little you). With lots of snark. For which I thanked you. I've dealt with your type for 20 years, as I tried to make changes that would improve students' educational experiences. You're predictable and annoying.

Sorry, old picture. And you have no idea who I am. I invite you to learn more at bkswrites.com.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

One of the ways a charter school can make room for profits is by hiring nonunion teachers and paying them less. Other private schools often use uncertified teachers; I don't know whether charters get away with that, but I wouldn't be surprised.

"Teachers should have the final say of how they teach the curriculum." No, parents should have the final say.

Not exactly. Parents are not trained educators (mostly) and don't have the information to make those decisions. In some states and cities (see Kansas, Texas), small groups of vocal parents with narrow views have made a mess of education for others. The one place where private schools are appropriate is to serve the needs of these small groups. But they shouldn't be publicly funded.