Home | About | Donate

No, No, No, No: Walking Down the Street Drinking Cappuccino While Black, And Then Taking Pictures While Still Black

No, No, No, No: Walking Down the Street Drinking Cappuccino While Black, And Then Taking Pictures While Still Black

So this is still happening: Charles "Chris" Harrell, a young black man in Cincinnati, was walking down the street with his morning coffee when a bike cop started stalking him. Knowing what's coming, Harrell films and narrates - "This is what we have to go through" - as the cop stops him, slams him into a wall and arrests him on four charges, including jaywalking and obstruction of justice; the phone, knocked to the ground, keeps filming. In court last week, Harrell took more pictures so he got arrested again. Now he faces charges of "indirect contempt," though God knows he's justified in making it direct.

The idea that some poor guy would get killed for jaywalking was the first thing I thought of. Nauseating stuff. Glad he wasn't injured or killed though.

I mean he did compound his capital crime of jaywalking >>> jaywalking with coffee.

Serious stuff man. Lucky to be alive!

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

"Why do they hate us?" Who cares? We have uniforms and cars, and courts and jails, and lots and lots of testosterone and guns.

"Land of the free," huh?

No, No, No, No...

...indirect contempt of court...

Is that even something real? Or just "piling on," because this young man hasn't been oppressed enough?

Please tell me that this court is going to recognize the enormity of the injustice done here, and drop all charges against Mr. Harrell immediately.

Then, I surely hope to hear that this court is going to do something about that dangerously unstable officer...

Any crowdfunded legal defense fund for this nonviolent warrior? i don't find one on a quick search.

Great idea. I was just wondering that myself. If I learn of one, I will pitch in.

Any way I can repudiate the behavior I saw on that video will be a blessed relief.

It's unclear from the video what exactly happened prior to Chris's arrest but he supposedly was being followed by the cop for jaywalking. It would have been interesting to see the police response if Chris had been more calm and had given the cop his ID. While I don't agree with the cops severe attitude and their unprovoked tackling of someone in response to someone arguing with them, given this type of treatment from the police is so prevalent in the US, it would be more productive to fight such injustice without showing any aggression or raising one's voice. Don't you think Dr. King would argue it this way too?

Martin Luther King spoke up LOUDLY against Police Injustice.

“I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season.”

Cleveland and Cincinnati, shit holes full of racist, fascist police. Is there not a decent city in Ohio, that God forsaken State of Hell. Which circle of Hell do these lawless pigs belong in, the Fifth, Seventh, Eighth, or Ninth, i.e. for their Anger, Violence, Lying, or Treachery? Perhaps they can be distributed across all four. And then what will happen when they decide to execute this man on a street of Cincinnati because his phone camera poses a mortal threat to them. If Sanders doesn't win the presidency, The Fascist from Kallstadt or the Queen of Darkness will lead this USA into the Inferno.

Look up at the inscription as you go in. "Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch’entrate!", "Abandon all hope, you who enter here."

No, it is 1878, when Jim Crow started.

From what I can tell this was a non-violent action--I think King would approve. And if I caught the conversation, the walk sign changed as he was crossing. And this is the real question to be asked--Was this an issue of safety or lets investigate what this guy is doing?--And what black people need to understand is that this does happen to white people. And contrary to what the media says most white people are trained by their parents how to interact with the police.-----Do you know it is a crime to drive an older car in a affluent neighborhood???----and don't get me wrong I understand once this interaction happens the white person will be sent on their way and for a black person they end up in jail.

People don't understand we live in a corporate police state. If you stay in the lines your fine--stray out -watch out! And being poor is a crime-you have no rights. Being homeless is a crime.

Understand what the American revolution was fought for---common people demanded the Bill of Rights. Of course the Bill of Rights have been destroyed since 1914. If this guy J-walked the officer should issue him a ticket and be on his way-----why was he arrested for weed? the officer had no right to search him----and with all the issues going on would it have been nice if the officer simply said---I'm sorry sir but I noticed you crossed against the don't walk sign and its important for your safety to not do that.----AND LEAVE IT THERE----WALK AWAY!

But the officer does't care about his safety--the officer wants to see what he is up too. And this is against the Bill of Rights. I watch this stupid show Cops and its incredible what these officers get away with.---Tell me what happened and we will let you go---and the person tells them --well now I have to arrest you.

This is one of the great things about Bernie Sanders he voted against the "patriot" act. Any one that supports that thing should be held for treason!

Charles Harrell you are a PATRIOT!

The Constitution calls for a jury of peers when one is tried for criminal transgressions. It seems to me that the charges being leveled at Mr. Harrell are both civil and criminal. How many times will he go before a judge. Is the composition of Cincinnati justices mostly white, as is usually the case in the Midwest? We saw what a jury of peers, a group of old white women, did for George Zimmerman in Florida. He literally got away with murder. Will Mr Harrell get the same advantage or will be subject to what black people in Ferguson, Missouri were accustom to, all white juries, i.e a pack of racist honkies?

He was preparing to give him his ID - but the fucking pig was ordering him to sit on the ground. There was no need for him to submit to such humiliation. And don't tell me, white man, that a cop would ever follow you on that like like he was. And is also easy for you, mister white comfortable bourgeois man, to say that you would not get angry. Are you white kumbaya-liberals even human with human emotions?

Cincinnati has always been a reactionary racist town - worse than Cleveland, and now facing gentrification of its historically black neighborhoods and corresponding cop behavior. Why is Kasich's Ohio such a racist place?

Once again the DOJ solves and moves on.

Cincinnati is under a Memorandum of Agreement with the DOJ after their Civil Rights performance was found lacking

From the Memorandum
Policy revisions will emphasize de-escalation techniques, such as disengagement .....

Evidently they solved that problem

I've been treated similarly by cops. Pulled over, unconstitutional search of vehicle, and police pointing firearms at the occupiers of the vehicle. We learned or realized the only solution was to stay calm and speak to de-escalate the situation.

I can understand that the young man was upset. I do believe that, unfortunately, his upset escalated the situation. I do wonder if he could have breathed and stayed in control of his vocal tone, could the situation not have become so escalated... I don't know... I'm not sure what happened before this video was rolling and I'm not sure what the cop was going to do should the young man have presented his ID as requested.

I think it is clear that this has happened to this young man numerous times----that is the reason for the anger. Why do the police make people sit in the dirt or lay face down-dehumanizing?

Ah.. as Faulkner pointed out the past is not dead, not even past.