Home | About | Donate

No One In The United States Should Be Poor, Period

No One In The United States Should Be Poor, Period

Josh Hoxie

The federal minimum wage hasn’t gone up in nearly 10 years. Yet with a stroke of his pen, Jeff Bezos of Amazon raised the wages of hundreds of thousands of the company’s lowest paid workers.

In an age of extreme income inequality, this is leap in the right direction. It’s also a stark reminder of how far we as a nation are from caring for our most vulnerable people.

Poverty is a weapon of mass destruction. Greed has laid waste to our country and it’s citizens. Who keeps giving our country away? Who keeps giving all our monies to the killing machine? You and I know the answers to these questions. So vote. Teach others how to vote in thier interest. It is a start. It isn’t the complete answer but it is a start.

If we are going to “vote our interests,” those votes cannot go to either wing of the capitalist duopoly on a national level. If we continue to play the duopoly (s)electoral two-step game, voting has no tactical use whatsoever, except to keep us as slaves in the capitalist/imperialist system.

“Voting has no tactical use whatsoever” INDEED !

A decade or so ago a wealthy Senate candidate was criticized for not having voted during the past two decades. His response: “I contribute money to both parties so my interests will be met no matter who wins”.

It truly IS the best Congress money can buy!

During the 70s I wondered why so few Murkins voted.

Today I wonder why so many Murkins vote.

Again, as I mentioned in my post regarding Postal workers in the USA and using that as an example.

There 530000 workers for the US Postal services. They make a decent wage of 26 dollars per hour. This is not too much , it affords a decent lifestyle. The hourly wage comes to something like 26 dollars per hour.

Now what happens when it Privatized? The “Investor” or group of investors will look at the wages and conclude they too high for “unskilled work” They cut wages to 15 dollars per hour (A Bezos in other words)
This translates to “savings” of about 6 million dollars an hour and based on an 8 hour work day some 50 million a day.

Where do those “savings” go"? Is it for better service or lower costs to the Consumer? NOT. They become a source of cash flow and subtracting Investment costs anything over and above is profits. Now will that 50 million dollars a day was once distributed among 530000 workers, it now flows into the pockets of a much smaller group of already rich investors. The 530000 workers become poorer as the handful of investors become ever more wealthy.

Capitalism at work and the media and public OOH and ahh over how “smart” these rich guys are.

Raising the minimum wage will be counterproductive. At some point automation or off-shoring will be more profitable than paying American workers. Then you have millions unemployed so they will have to be just given $30,000 a year to not be poor. Human nature being what it is how many people will suddenly for some reason not be able to find a job?

Then there is fact that there is no gigantic pot of money under Wall Street. Most billionaires own stock that was simply zapped into existence on a computer. Those shares were never issued or bought, their worth is simply an extrapolated value from those shares that were traded. Try to sell those shares and their value could drop by 50% or more. And who exactly is going to buy them, remember, you redistributed all the 1%'s money.

Bezos did not raise his workers on a whim. He raised them after a very public ongoing campaign by Bernie Sanders and also the threat of union organization at Amazon.

Other barriers can be raised to imports. Some should, in part to defend wages.

Were the 1%'s money redistributed, the other 99% could buy stocks–should they care to do so. I am not sure that stock zapped into existence on a computer bears enough value that they should.

We are not at all dependent that the 1% should do well. Quite the opposite–it is their success that creates our poverty.

Agreed.
The minimum wage is really “minimum level of decency to pay someone for showing up”. It’s legislated to pretend that America has a conscience.
The stock market is tanking today because in part, those massive dividends are dependent upon the wage gap between owners and workers, and the owners are just starting to figure out that they have to pay more just to get people in the door to provide their stuff that people can buy now even if they don’t own a car to go to a mall. The Federal Reserve sees the wages going up and raises the interest rate to fend off inflation, further eroding corporate profits and pushing the stock market lower.
Ironically, the FairTax has mostly Republican sponsors, and (bear with me) it replaces the income tax with a national sales tax of 23% or so, and a prebate that everyone gets paid up front to cover poverty level taxes (thus making it somewhat palatable to the fixed income seniors).
A simple solution to your lament above is to get the Democrats on board, call the bluff, and negotiate the rate upward to clean up the environment and the prebate upward until it’s a decent resource against poverty.
It also eliminates the IRS because there’s no income taxes to enforce, no shady avoidance problems because it’s collected at point of sale, and it makes paying taxes an anonymous act.
When applied to all transactions, the rate can be lowered and favoritism eliminated. Without the income tax code, most lobbyists might as well go home as well, draining more swamp than Trump ever could (in his fantasy world, that is).
By eliminating tax deductions for ‘expenses’, corporations again take a hit on their advertising (coercion) budgets.
By putting all wages in the laborers’ hands before taxes, labor gains power of the purse.
By putting overhead costs into a sales tax, people can make more informed decisions about the true costs of the Empire’s luxuries.
The bottom line is, it empowers labor as well as declawing the government and corporations.
Would it destroy the economy? Only the useless parts.