Home | About | Donate

'No One Should Be Surprised': After Long Career Stiffing Workers, Trump Blocks Back Pay for Federal Contractors

'No One Should Be Surprised': After Long Career Stiffing Workers, Trump Blocks Back Pay for Federal Contractors

Jake Johnson, staff writer

As a real estate mogul, Donald Trump was notorious for swindling low-wage workers out of pay.

1 Like

yes, nobody should be surprised. and no one should be surprised at the complete lack of effort from the Democratic party to do it, either.

They went to bat for their neoliberal wing and nothing more.

Everyone stiffs workers. If they didn’t, we wouldn’t be in this mess.

17 Likes

No one’s surprised that the Vichy democrat party leadership sat this one out, are they?

11 Likes

There goes the blame the Dem game again. There is a half a million unpaid workers, let them formulate a plan to get their money back from the guy that stiffed them. Oh, and he’s no Democrat!

2 Likes

Look at the he-man with the perfectly polished hard hat. Bet his nails were manicured too. I am sure he was riding a Bianca high, given the times. Curse you Chance for not dropping a girder on that target.

4 Likes

Yeah, fuck the Working Class. Let them represent themselves.
You certainly represent the Vichy democrat position. smh

5 Likes

So that is what McConnell meant when he said there was agreement and both parties did not get all they wanted??? So why did we privatized these workers? i.e. janitors and cooks/servers? Aren’t so owners upset? Are they all immigrants and/or illegals? that republicans and Trump don’t like?

3 Likes

Now he’s got a strategy for the wall: hire people to build it for whatever price, then shut down the government once they start. Dems won’t push for back pay for them, because they didn’t want the wall in the first place. If the workers strike, he can use that to his advantage next electoral campaign by saying that since they refused to build the wall, they must have been Democrats and this just shows how low Dems will stoop to put this country in jeopardy for their own petty self interest.

2 Likes

“[L]etting Republicans anonymously kill back pay for federal contractors in some backroom seems like a policy and political failure for Democrats.”

Ya think?

Then again, ya gotta wonder how many of the establishment dems have a stake in private firms that do fed contract work. Saves 'em some bottom line, and all.

2 Likes

FFS it’s not about finding “the person to blame,” it is about assessing what different parties could have done, and what they did. This bill needs to pass both Houses of Congress to reach the President. Fuck the “centrist” Democrats who happily sell-out workers and ecology on a regular bi-partisan basis.

10 Likes

And furthermore, let the idiot shut it down again, and fight him publicly. There’s this historical concept called “appeasement” that paves the way to worse and worse. At some point you have to stand up and say “Not paving that road,” and fight the ugliness on real terms.

11 Likes

The Trumpster knows that the Air Traffic Controllers were responsible for not having another shut down.

They are the people who began to call in sick and the Republicans recognized that they can bring the entire country to its knees in just a few days.

Otherwise the Sociopath would have shut down the government again without any concern about how government workers would pay their bills.

Why would he give a damn about Contractors who he believes are mostly democrats.

Stiffing those workers will help bring down the National Debt, which is sky rocketing since he robbed the Treasury to give our money away to the Rich in the form of Tax Cuts.

6 Likes

Thanks so much for standing up for working people Dims. Wait…

1 Like

I doubt it. They make money by having their workers work, not by having them sit at home.

1 Like

As Gomer Pyle would say: SURPRISE! SURPRISE!

1 Like

Way to build a voter base for 2020. Idiot. “Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country.”.
I don’t believe we have much time left to hit the streets. There appears to be no end to the crap coming down on us. Frankly, we are already screwed. Now is when we either throw up our arms and say, okay I’m done, I don’t want to worry, bitch, or try to fight a monster machine in Washington.
OR: Organize a rumble in the concrete jungle. We are going to need a bigger pitchfork though.

4 Likes

How much do you want to bet some corporation (my money is on Raytheon) just received a massive government contract for promising to create a fully automated air traffic control system?

4 Likes

He was not going to win over anyone new at this point, and the deluded fuckwits that still “support” Trump are not likely to be dissuaded by reality.

1 Like

Not so long ago there used to be rules protecting people against being forced to be a contractor rather than employee. I wonder what happened to them? They were still in effect when Clinton took office (I was an accountant then).

3 Likes

Technically Trump is correct on this. Contractors are not employees and probably don’t have the same legal rights as employees. On the other hand - the contractor - the general contractor - has employees who it has to pay. What Trump is really pulling is a scam on the american taxpayers. We are being made to pay whether the work is done or not. Of course, some people had to work without pay. They should get interest and something for that failure to pay them timely. Had Trump kept everyone on the job - we would have gotten the services and labor that we paid for. Had the neo-liberal outsourcing of employment not been allowed, we would have less contractors and more employees.

He (and his cohorts) gamed everyone. There are issues here of how do people get by. It seems like some people would be eligible for unemployment pay. Trump has created another grand mess and he will make up a story that makes everything look good for him. We, the employees, contractors and taxpayers get screwed in the meantime.

2 Likes