Home | About | Donate

No Wall Street Cash for My Senate Campaign, says Rep. Donna Edwards

No Wall Street Cash for My Senate Campaign, says Rep. Donna Edwards

Andrea Germanos, staff writer

Rep. Donna Edwards, who's running for the U.S. Senate seat being vacated by Barbara Mikulski (D-Md.), pledged on Thursday not to take Wall Street money for her campaign.

In an email sent to supporters Thursday by the Howard Dean-founded Democracy for America, Edwards states:

That is a great point, Tom. It is time we stopped voting for millionaires and candidates with millionaire budgets. We need to watch out for the well funded pac hacks and fund our neighbors and friends whom we know are working for us and not Wall Street. We can assert our right to be the government of, by, and for the people.

That's fantastic; we should all write or call and congratulate and thank her. But while things like banking and money in politics are important subsidiary issues, the only issue that matters now and for generations to come is the imminent destruction of civilization and the extinction of millions of species by climate catastrophe.

Ms. Edwards needs to renounce fossil and nuclear fuel corporation money as well, and because of the part it plays in greenhouse gas emissions and land use changes that worsen climate change, agribusiness money, too. Reducing the power of those corporations will help make the people of the US healthier as well as our economy, and allow us to elect people who will do something about the urgent eco-political-economic-psychological crisis we face.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

This is what we need .. this is the type of person we need in all of our contests ... this is when we need it because we're (this country is) running out of time very, very soon.

Good point, aligarohardt. I'm not much of a Green Party fan. And I suspect if they ever get close to being a player in our corrupt system, they too will sell out. But we know for sure that there is no such thing as a "clean" candidate from either the Republicrats or the Democans. They don't get to play unless they are for sale. Edwards is grandstanding. But hide and watch what happens if she gets elected. You don't get to join the club unless you are bought and paid for. That's just a fact.