Home | About | Donate

NOAA Leadership Trades Scientific Integrity for Political Appeasement

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/09/09/noaa-leadership-trades-scientific-integrity-political-appeasement

Below is an email I sent to NOAA thanking them for their service even as the POTUS lied about it all. I also received a reply. We must support and protect those who provide us with their services from the ill conceived notions of the madman in the White House. The truth about the weather or anything else is the only thing that will keep us and this country safe. Fight for it or lose it.

Sent: Monday, September 09, 2019 8:13 AM
To: (name withheld).

Subject: Re: ‘Sharpiegate’: meteorologists upset as weather agency defends Trump’s Alabama claim

Thank you for your encouraging words. We appreciate it.

On Sun, Sep 8, 2019 at 8:30 AM (name withheld) wrote:

To All of NOAA.

Dear NOAA:

We are paying attention.

God bless you guys for all the work you do for my country and me. Yours is a tremendous responsibility and partisan politics has no place in the life or death information you provide to this country and its territories. The sometimes-dangerous work that you do is for the “common good” and helps save lives.

I thank you again for your countless contributions; however, your leadership is for shite. The benefits you provide are done in service of the American people. Yours is a trust, and cannot be relinquished or wafted about to satisfy the whims of one delusional man no matter who he may be.

Yours in peace,
NAMES WITH HELD TO PROTECT THE INNOCENT

3 Likes

Unfortunately the reporting about this affair has been equivocal and confusing. I have had to read multiple stories multiple times to suss out exactly who said what when.

As best I can make out, President Iggy started the fiasco by going on TV with a map that he had altered to claim erroneously that there was a likelihood that Dorian would threaten Alabama.

Then the NOAA office in Birmingham, AL, responded by debunking that claim, although on Twitter like Iggy rather than via a “credible source.”

Then some unidentified source within NOAA headquarters “disavowed” the (truthful) statement from Birmingham, also on Twitter.

Finally (as of 7:00 PM EDT on Monday) NOAA’a chief science officer called out the twits and President Iggy for their lies that could have endangered the public.

For those too young or too old to remember, prior to 1970 most of what we now know as the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) was known as the US Weather Bureau, though two other older agencies were rolled into NOAA at that time.

1 Like