Home | About | Donate

#NoDAPL: Native American Leaders Vow to Stay All Winter, File Lawsuit Against Police

#NoDAPL: Native American Leaders Vow to Stay All Winter, File Lawsuit Against Police

- Common Dreams staff

Native American leaders vowed on Saturday to protest through the winter against a North Dakota oil pipeline they say threatens water resources and sacred lands and are weighing lawsuits over police treatment of arrested protesters.

Emergency sub zero winter shelter of design 2 is opens ferrocement.com as soon as I leave here.

People building emergency winter shelter in Europe recommend stainless steel ribbon gun over duct tape. Maybe start on at least one experiment.

http://www.ferrocement.com

This 52 year old school teacher from Illinois will be there on my winter break! I have called the governor of North Dakota leaving a voicemail of my boycott of anything from his state and how embarrassed and horrified I am.

The northern winter winds can make -35 degrees feel like -60+. Good for The Water Protectors and their stalwart vision, with their plans of staying put, until NoDAPL is a reality. And, thank you AIUSA, as well. Yesterday, on KBOO ( great community radio station, btw ) a woman protector said she was shot in the face with a beanbag round by the goons. Other protectors said the goons were smirking and laughing as they fired on the good people. And, dog kenneling with no bathrooms, et al? Really? N. Dakota used to have somewhat progressive national leaders; dirty energy $$$ is so destructive in so many ways. Stop this police state craziness and make LE back off before someone is murdered.

"Protesters had numbers written on their arms and were housed in what appeared to be dog kennels, without bedding or furniture."

Numbers on arms; where did they get that idea?

American Police State.
Same militarized police Occupy faced, and Ferguson, and how many other places?
Weapons provided by the US government at taxpayers' expense.
Uncle Sam's built an army of occupation, one police department at a time.
One sheriff's office here. The National Guard there.
All to protect the Corporate State.

Clinton cares about protecting drinking water. That isn't the issue. This pipeline was already rerouted once to protect the drinking water of Bismark, ND. The route was changed so that it would affect a much less populated area. It is the Standing Rock people who live in this less populated area. Of course they don't want polluted drinking water any more than the people who live in Bismark. But they have less political clout because they are fewer in number. I think the best solution at this time would be to find another route but I don't if there is any route that would not potentially impact somebody. Generally the attitude of the authorities is that we have to accept some risk to have a modern society. But who is going to be stuck with accepting the risk? Often it is the people with the least political influence.

Wow, thanks for posting this, my heart goes out to these brave souls. They occupy "The land of the free (spirit) and the home of the brave (soul).....and I'm humbled...

Lrx - you really need to stop making such unintelligent comments. Re: water - the pipeline route crosses the Missouri River and many smaller tributaries. Water flows and thus fossil fuel leaks will affect not only the area but also downstream. The route also crosses through sacred grounds for Native Americans in the area - construction of the pipeiine destroys these sites. Last, it is not simply a matter of rerouting the pipeline. It is what the pipeline (and other pipelines) carry - we need to get off fossil fuels asap not enable their continued use by constructing more pipelines.

Moving video, thanks for posting it.

Crazy Horse: How can you sell the earth that we walk upon?

Chief Seattle, in 1857 in response to an U.S. government inquiry about buying his tribal lands.

" But how can you buy or sell the sky? The land? If we do not own the freshness of the air and the sparkle of the water, how can you buy them?

Every part of this earth is sacred. Every shining pine needle, every sandy shore, every mist in the dark woods, every meadow, every humming insect. All are holy in the memory and experience of my people. We are part of the earth and it is part of us. What befalls the earth..befalls the sons of the earth."

"

The Standing Rock people.

I say, if they want a war, give them a war, a real Native American uprising just like a Middle Eastern one - complete with insurgents and IEDs and a body count of dead pigs. To say that I am outraged does not begin to describe how I feel.

Not a fan of this lrx person. This is the face of the typical Clinton supporter. Clinton prepared a response that was no response at all. If she were president she would be protecting the "rights" of the oil companies. Of that there is no doubt.

The Water Protectors are doing fine, in terms most people understand, regarding their organized opposition to DAPL. Suggesting they get annihilated ( rubbed out ), by the local, state, feds and private goons by starting a little oil war, is truly thoughtless and dangerous. Twice already this morning I've seen this misguided suggestion. I think you, and yours, may work for a gov't agency or The KochSuckers Dirty Tricks & Energy Club. Just sayin'.

This is an excellent idea and way to counter the misrepresentation by the main stream media.
I am increasing the amount of my donation to Amnesty International this year.

Several weeks ago our daughter sent me a video of an anti-DAPL rally in DC, and a speech by Senator Bernie Sanders, who spoke against the pipeline.

The pipeline is destructive. It's unneeded; it's destructive now, and will contribute to dangerous earth and air pollution if it's ever completed.

Though the anti-DAPL rally was in DC, no surprise that the WH ignored it, and no official from the Clinton campaign attended.

But, but, but, but,.... Sen. Sanders and Sen. Elizabeth Warren are the same as The Shillary and OhBummer, don't cha know?:wink: That's what Trump Trollers would have you believe, anyway. And, though I'm supporting Stein here in Oregon, doesn't the Comey move show just how corrupt and right wing, the FBI is. The Permanent Gov't wants Comey to harass NoDAPL and BLM, etc into the next adm. And, why wouldn't they impede any move to bring sanity into the conversation regarding the relationship of The Police & Security State and the citizenry? There's money to be made everywhere you look around D.C. and Comey wants his cut, apparently. Or, like Rudy G. & Gov. Crisco, a comfy little consulting position. These people in D.C. could gag a maggot with their vacuous, self-serving power moves.

Isn't the pipeline supposed to be a safer alternative to the current oil trains from North Dakota? The US government has a number of conflicting goals here. One is to provide as much energy independence as possible. Another is to reduce or eliminate oil trains which are a risk traveling through populated areas. Another is to fight climate change. Another is to protect drinking water. Another is providing jobs.

"Humanity is now facing its greatest challenges, greater than anything it has ever had to face before. It is facing a world in decline--a world of declining resources, a world whose environment has been so seriously abused & disrupted that there will have to be a different adaption for humanity to survive in the world into the future. ....
The future is upon you. The world will be unrecognizable in 20 years. YOu have nowhere to hide & no reason to be blind. It is an emergency for humanity for only an emergency & a great need could propel God to send a New Revelation into the world."... from the sacred text, The Prophet.... new message.org.