Home | About | Donate

North Carolina Poised to Repeal Anti-LGBTQ "Bathroom Bill"

North Carolina Poised to Repeal Anti-LGBTQ "Bathroom Bill"

Nadia Prupis, staff writer

North Carolina lawmakers are poised to repeal the anti-LGBTQ "bathroom bill," the state's incoming Democratic governor said Monday.

Governor-elect Roy Cooper said a special legislative assembly will convene Tuesday to address the bill, known as HB2, which requires transgender people to use public facilities that correspond to their biological sex, rather than their gender identity. The bill also prohibits municipalities from creating nondiscrimination protections for LGBTQ people at the local level.

First, I am so surprised that a boycott against the state was actually effective enough that the state legislatures even bothered to acknowledge it. Thank you to everyone involved! Let's see, there's Smithfield and House of Autry who are big meat producers here in the state. Then there's Mt. Olive Pickle Co. There's also a lot of quartz, mica, and feldspar that gets mined out of Spruce Pine that gets used in like all the electronic products manufactured in the world. (that might be a slight exaggeration) Buck Stoves are also manufactured in Spruce Pine. I refused to buy one. I bought a Hearthstone instead.

Second, I don't really understand this statement: "It comes in response to a surprise move by the Charlotte City Council to rescind a non-discrimination ordinance with the ultimatum". It sounds like Charlotte put up an ordinance to protect LBGTQ rights or something like that but took it down to get HB2 repealed?

Once again we hear the loud sucking sounds of money shaping policy - it's the American way. Amazing how the "Christian' principles and the false identity politics behind the discrimination mysteriously vanish and go silent when cold hard cash comes into play.
One nation under God? Slurp. Political principles - slurp.
Boycotting is a tool which can and should be used effectively more widely.
Good news.