Home | About | Donate

North Korea: The Costs of War, Calculated

North Korea: The Costs of War, Calculated

John Feffer

Even a limited war with North Korea would kill millions, devastate the environment, and bankrupt the U.S. Preventing it should be the peace movement's highest priority.

The DMZ from the North Korean side (courtesy of yeowatzup / Flickr)

Evangelicals See Trump’s Jerusalem Move as Key to ‘End-Times’

Of all the possible theological dog-whistles to his evangelical base, this is the biggest. Trump is reminding them that he is carrying out God’s will to these Last Days. For many of Trump’s evangelical supporters this is a key step in the progression of events leading to the Second Coming of Jesus.

But no war [except IRAQ] has acquired quite the same apparent inevitability as the conflict with North Korea. [The same] pundits and policymakers are talking about a [out of thin air/aluminum tubes hysteria] “Three-Month Window” within which the Trump administration can stop North Korea from acquiring the capability [which moved from San Francisco to Washington, D.C. in Three Weeks] to strike U.S. cities with nuclear weapons.

That estimate . . . comes from the CIA, though the messenger is the ever-unreliable [IRAQ] John Bolton, the former flame-thrower of a U.S. ambassador to the UN. Bolton has used that estimate to make the case for [another] preemptive attack . . . , a plan that Trump has also reportedly taken very seriously.

Decent article except “It’s not the first time the United States has been on the verge of making an extraordinary mistake.” The author mentions Iraq and while the outcome may not have been as planned, there were no mistakes. The Iraq invasion was intentional, the lies were intentional, make no mistake about it.

Ah, I’m beginning to see the picture…DJTrump is the forerunner to the anti-christ! So he’ll have his head lobbed off and then the anti-christ will perform some miracle–probably stopping world war…then the real beginning of the end will start.

The clown Trump (and his arch-conservative puppet masters) threaten war to satisfy their lust for class warfare. They don’t relate to anyone other than multi-millionaires and opulent leaders of nations and industry. The world war III these cretins seek is for the extermination of the lower classes. The thought of 9 billion people on the planet by 2050 leaves them all with no choice but to instigate armed warfare, embrace catastrophic climate change, and further profit from oil-dependent globalization as their means to commit genocide like the world has never seen.

I hope I am wrong, but I do not agree! Me and millions more like me tried our best to protest against the bogus and illegal invasion of Iraq. That was when I realized that no matter how many millions of people in the US and all over the world tried to stop the invasion of Iraq for the Bush canard of WMD’S, it would not matter because Amerika’s preemptive attack on Iraq for an egregious, lie proved to me that the Amerikan Empire was a fascist empire; a military dictatorship; a Fourth Reich.

If the insane war mongers and war profiteers want to invade North Korea and start a third world war, much like when Hitler invaded Poland, France and other countries…we average Americans will be helpless to stop it. Like Trump said: " they won’t be told ahead time".

Whatever it takes, this is job one!

John Bolton make ordinary lunatics look sane by comparison! What a hideous character!

Yes, but we are obligated to resist this insane war-mongering Global Predator, whether or not it looks like such resistance will prove effective. I remember well the spring and summer of 2003, when millions of Americans and Europeans marched against the Bush regime’s plans for war on Iraq. I still question whether “70%” of Americans actually supported that war, after the Bush/corporate media propaganda campaign pushing its necessity. But in any case, hopefully Americans are more skeptical now, fourteen years later, and with dunce Trump in office. We will see.

Yes! Silence is in my opinion, is treason.And in my view, anyone who accepts this current egregious administration without protesting against it…is really cooperating with it!