Home | About | Donate

'Not $300. Not $600. $1,200 at a Minimum': Bernie Mobilizes Progressive Forces for Direct Cash Stimulus

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/12/10/not-300-not-600-1200-minimum-bernie-mobilizes-progressive-forces-direct-cash

7 Likes

Republicans are shamelessly out in the open about there being no appetite for helping those that need help right now.
They still insist on any sort of financial gain ahead of helping others.

8 Likes

Sanders wrote that “in Washington, there’s endless amounts of money for war. Congress is about to pass a $740 billion defense spending bill and no one seems to care about the price tag there.”

SOOOOO DAMN TRUE BERNIE! Just once I would like to hear from someone besides Bernie to say: " THERE IS NO WAY WE CAN AFFORD A $740 BILLION DEFENSE BILL WHEN SO MANY AMERICANS ARE DESPERATE, GOING HUNGRY AND SICK AND DYING FROM THE COVID-19 PANDEMIC!"

22 Likes

Here is why our nation is in decline, and on the verge of collapse.
I am sitting here watching the local news in Pittsburgh PA. They are featuring a story about local small business people who are outwardly lamenting governor Wolfe’s new restrictions on public gatherings just announced today (too little too late). The three of them interviewed all believe that it’s the government and the media that has frightened people from shopping this holiday season, and that they of course should be allowed to be open with no restrictions as anything less will cause their bankruptcy.
These people are not concerned about the health of their customers. They are not worried about the sick, the dead, and the dying. They are not worried about those families, or if they have enough food to eat, or money to heat their home, or enough to stay in that home after Christmas. No, they are worried about selling bullshit trinkets, pizza, or shampoo just so THEY can make more money. Sure, these local business owners did mention that the pandemic MAY be bad thing, BUT I don’t see why we can’t be open?
This is how far we have fallen. What little collectivism we had in America has now been replaced by some primitive backward assed, Horatio Alger, libertarian nonsense. The pandemic has laid bare America’s deepest flaws.
America, or at least the one we have become accustomed to, is gone, perhaps forever. America is now run by the assholes. Those same assholes who’s personal version of America is one where they should be free to risk people’s lives just so they can sell some piece of cheap Chinese garbage to the fawning rubes for $1.99.

10 Likes

The GOP opposes any aid to the working families and people in general because they plan to force more Americans into squalid conditions, poverty and disease that they’d take any job for and pay. Practically bringing back slavery to all American lower classes. The money is there and there is plenty of it if we set the priorities right by taxing the rich who can well afford it. And the sooner the common folk see the through the corporate GOP agenda the sooner we can fight it. Fight it we must until we eliminate corporate and elite domination of our lives and our economy.

13 Likes

Wow, your concern for the small business owner is truly touching. To no fault of their own, they have had their doors shut, their incomes decimated. Lives destroyed. But, hey let’s attack them even more for being bad people because they “only” want to make money. How do you know they have no concern for those who that are inflicted by this disease? Just because they want to stay open? Would you say that about all the other larger businesses that are allowed to stay open?

You know, Amazon only wants to make money too and I bet there are many, many people (maybe yourself) sitting safely at home on your PC while their goods and services are brought to them. Easy for them to castigate those who don’t have that luxury.

You know it’s not the small business owners fault that they live in a country where the healthcare system is shit and ill-equipped to handle a very serious (for some), virus. But hey, Congress just passed a $781 billion “Defense” bill supported by both parties, so all is good in the US. That’s the real story!

1 Like

Too bad Bernie isn’t our President Elect. He had his chance, but seemed to lack the conviction necessary to criticize his friend Joe. Too bad for us all.

5 Likes

Yup, well instead of those small business owners, by in large republicans, constantly whining about the world being unfair to them, maybe, just maybe, next time they have a chance to support a politician that believes in the kind of government run programs that would actually help their businesses and customers, they will, instead of standing there on tv with a Guy Reschenthaller, our local congressmen who thinks that no regulations should exist on any business and that things like taxes shouldn’t exist either. These despicable cretans who support fascists deserve whatever they get. Bankruptcy is too good for them.
Maybe you need to think about that before you come running to defend these libertarian scumbags again.

3 Likes

“THERE IS NO WAY WE CAN AFFORD A $740 BILLION DEFENSE BILL WHEN SO MANY AMERICANS ARE DESPERATE, GOING HUNGRY AND SICK AND DYING FROM THE COVID-19 PANDEMIC!”
and no one is actively threatening us and even if they did we still have two oceans protecting us.
And of course this year no one wants to step foot on our soil 'cause they’ll get sick. A covid wall…

1 Like

I’m going to grasp on the hope the the M$media there in Pittsburgh had a hard time finding those three small business owners. It is just like the media to play up that side of the story when the real story is why Mainstreet is getting the shaft at the expense of WallStreet and of course the Pentagon. The few small businesses that I know DO have their customers 1st, and their workers next but they sure could use some of that $781 billion to keep their workers alive until we recover.

3 Likes

If you believe the reports of writers ( Consortium News, Counterpunch, etc ) covering nuclear power: upgrades, new plant development, small scale weapons research and next generation nuclear equipment, etc. the budget in the Energy Dept for that wrapped up ( under the tree ? ) stuff takes the DoD Budget to around $1.1 Trillion annually. Up from around $520 Billion in 2015/16.

65-70% of small business " eateries " will disappear in 2021 if something isn’t done at the Federal level. Maybe " The Grinch " McConnell owns a large portfolio filled with Kentucky Fried Chicken? Or, Kentucky bourbon distillers? ( That would explain a lot about his attitude. )
They sell Coke, Pepsi and …well yes, Wall St. is making out like the CONNIVING COVID BANDITS they are. But, the national franchisers of BURGERS R US, PIZZA R US … are " killing it " right now because of this pandemic, too.

1 Like

Sadly, I think the plan IS to have 60% of the small reataurants taken over by the big franchises. The vultures consider that a “win - win”. Buy gift cards if you can.

1 Like

Good comment, by the way I was born and raised in the great city of Pittsburgh in 1933 and it remains dear to my heart. We have now a corrupt government trying to undo the will of the people. Not sure where this is going to end but I am looking forward to Jan. 20 2021

1 Like

the “crisis is worse today than it was in March,” Sanders asked “why we are not responding accordingly.”

Pelosi has already said why, “because Biden won.”

1 Like

Hey Bern, How many millions will Goldman-Sachs get ? Oh, that’s what i thought. As John Barbour said after you capitulated to the Hildebeast who cheated you out of the nomination in '16…---- — Bernie.

$600 a week added on to unemployment is what it should be. Those one time checks aren’t much help for the pandemic which will soon surpass a year.

4 Likes

The oceans do not protect us any more.
The 9/11 attacks were by saudi guys here on visas. The one who had been a really poor student in Germany for five years should not even qualified to have our visa.

This virus was sent by us to overseas. Iran, Russia, China was first. They caught on quick and sent it back. Now we have over 3,000 dead each day. Is anyone going to write their names on any monument, booklet, web site, spread sheet??

There are other dangers to the 50 states which cannot be disclosed on the internet. Suffice to say that ww2 port security returned after 9/11 and is still in place, as an example.

read that the billionaires could --from their profits since the pandemic started --could give every American $3000 and still have more profits than when the pandemic started–time to tax the rich–these are the dragons of our society who’s wealth accumulation kills people

2 Likes

Just the unemployed? I really do not think many of those about to get evicted will go peacefully with their families into that cold night. Among those, how many are already hungry/and or ‘food insecure’? Survival instincts may well take over and states will have mess on their hands. Things can get ugly very quickly. Anything less than $1200, while I suppose better than nothing, is a sad joke. The greedy rich might want to rethink their position.

2 Likes