Home | About | Donate

'Not a Good Answer': Privacy Advocates Reject Democratic Proposal for 'Technological Wall' With Expanded Border Surveillance

'Not a Good Answer': Privacy Advocates Reject Democratic Proposal for 'Technological Wall' With Expanded Border Surveillance

Julia Conley, staff writer

Progressives in recent weeks have applauded Democrats' refusal to bend to President Donald Trump's demands for a wall at the U.S.-Mexico border, a key component of his xenophobic anti-immigration agenda. But on Friday, digital rights advocates called on Democratic lawmakers to expand their fight against the wall into a fight for all human and constitutional rights—instead of suggesting alternative "border security" proposals that would infringe on civil liberties.

The Spirit of Obama (Deporter-In-Chief) Lives. All Praise Reforming the Dim Wing of the Duopoly! Huzzah!!!

I don’t see a problem with expanding drone patrols as long as restrictions are adhered to. I said as much on a previous post. Drone stations, maned with border personnel, spaced along the border with helicopters available to use.
A warrant should be required to search anyone’s personal property beyond the vehicle they drive.

Ya that will work?
O say can you see, by the dawn’s early light, a tiny drone in flight. First they had cameras then lasers bright light then guns and some bomb sites. What so proudly we hailed at the twilight’s last gleaming, a whole bunch of immigrants screaming. And the rockets’ red glare, the bombs bursting in air, Gave proof through the night that our border and country were still there; O say does that star-spangled banner yet wave O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

They are more interested in the monies they could put their hands on if the cost were 5.3 billion .

diveshopingoa, I’d give you 2 ‘likes’ for your post. You summed it up beautifully.

Maybe ten years ago, NBC News reported on a border control station that was so effective, farmers weren’t getting the slave-wage workers that they needed. So the farmers all lobbied Congress to remove the border control station and then the workers flowed north again.

Making a show of effectiveness in stopping migrant workers and then making sure that you don’t succeed is a crazy political idea to start with. Somehow I don’t think that throwing $5 billion at the problem is going to succeed at what they say is the problem. Now, if I were the one getting the $5 billion I might say that of course it succeeded.

This entire issue needs a shifted focused to making the lives of “immigrants” and those seeking refuge from US created violent dictatorships/corporate land-grabs/uber-wealthy oligarchy in Latin America, not building another Apartheid Wall. The Israeli apartheid wall built to steal Palestinian lands feeds trumps racist demands and his Israel-first supporters/handlers would like that to divert attention from their racist wall also built with American taxpayer money.

Make the lives of our southern neighbors better and reverse over a century of US support and arming of right-wing dictators and death-squads, United Fruit and other corporate land thieves, and people would likely stay in their own flourishing countries.

This isn’t about some BS “critical attack on our nation” by women and children fleeing violence, it’s about the vast harm we have caused over a century in Latin America, and the crony contractor profits to be made on a “wall” or any such scam, and profits now being made by private “contractors”, prisons (concentration camps) for children and parents, ICE goon police-state fascism, and the evil racist politics of the odious trump regime. We also must not forget other administrations that have gone before of both parties catering to right-wing bigots and racist rot…“Barry” !

Don’t forget, as they would like, he $5.7 Billion is only a down-payment with figures of $20 - $25 Billion and higher for all the orange pig demands! One article likened the wall’s true cost to “one and one-half aircraft carriers”. I prefer to think of the cost in schools, single-payer not-for-profit health care, education and predatory student loan forgiveness, critical environmental action and other such-like.

Damn dumb Dims!

Nancy is like a creaky old mine tunnel. She’s caving in. Mean what you say, Pelosi. No wall means no compromise.

LOL nice guy. Oh the truth hurts.

It is still the best solution.

This government shutdown is now threatening our citizens’ Section 8 subsidized housing and their food stamps. I am a Representative Payee. Some of those citizens are my disabled clients who are either elderly, physically challenged, developmentally disabled or mentally ill. Nancy Pelosi needs to sit down with “The Donald” and make a deal. What about a wall that is only an electric beam between vertical posts? Animals could migrate freely, and immigrants could be located before they die from heatstroke or dehydration. Also, as a previous comment noted, we have severely damaged the economies and environments of these countries. We need to fix that.

Sorry, you can’t put the breach of privacy back in the bottle. Cameras that can see you scratch your nose from satellites, on most urban street corners, in most public buildings, and in the stores you shop. If you haven’t been surveilled by one of these, a smart phone probably has, or a neighborhood drone enthusiast.
Since we can’t stop it, we might as well use it where it actually does some good.

The need for surveillance has risen astronomically because the MSM lives off our fears:

“Good news makes bad copy”. “If it bleeds, it leads”.

Fear leads to suspicion, hate, conservatism and authoritarianism. Conservatives want to live in a protective bubble where everything is controlled and safe. Where hoarding like pack rats and building fences protects their shit.

Somebody needs to tell them that the price of total security is freedom.
That trying to control everything takes the adventure and fun out of life.
That praying to their gods to save them from the hell they produce has never worked.
That having to die to enjoy heaven is the height of stupidity.
That our natural planet is heaven if we can keep it the way it was given.

This is true. But like a bad disease that may not be cured you still fight against it. 5G is coming and it is not good for living things. Some time, some point you have to put your foot down and fight back. Maybe that means sticking your tongue out at the camera?

How many fights have gone beyond words. I’d like to participate in an on going fight for right.

I wonder how many of you, whom claim to be opposed to Trump’s wall, have actually taken the time to email the whitehouse DIRECTLY at:
https://www.whitehouse.gov/contact/, and/or
president@whitehouse.gov, and/or
vice_president@whitehouse.gov, and/or
comments@whitehouse.gov
in order to let YOUR VOICES be heard on the issue?

I notice none of your “leaders”, nor the media, are encouraging you, the “People” to take DIRECT action.

TALK - ACTION = ZERO!

The biggest problem with America is American citizens themselves.
They’ve just become to damn lazy, docile and complacent to allow “democracy” to continue living and functioning.

GET OFF YOUR ASSES & ACTUALLY DO SOMETHING!

This one is on going…

• In an article entitled ‘Why The Double Standard on Justice For Canadians, Chinese?’, Ambassador Shaye cut through the noise being created by the media and Western political class by exposing the bloated Western surveillance state known as ‘The Five Eyes’, which he properly identified as the outgrowth of the unconstitutional Patriot Act, the NSA’s Prism surveillance system which has annihilated all semblance of privacy among trans-Atlantic nations .

Chinese Ambassador to Canada speaking of the detention of a Chinese citizen in Canada.
https://www.sott.net/article/404771-Chinas-Ambassador-to-Canada-Exposes-The-White-Supremacist-Five-Eyes-Surveillance-State

Kicks dirty on us.

I guess we already knew of Britain’s want of power and ownership of northern Europe, so why wouldn’t it’s child Canada expose similar angst toward the Chinese? I think surveillance here is leaning toward the James Bond type of spying. Not taking photos of public life and living. There is youtube for that.