Home | About | Donate

'Not a Popular Position,' But a Consistent One: To Fight Corruption on Capitol Hill, Ocasio-Cortez Backs Pay Raise for Congress

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/06/11/not-popular-position-consistent-one-fight-corruption-capitol-hill-ocasio-cortez

AOC on this one you have picked a ridiculous position.

$4,500 means NOTHING to the millionaires in the Congress LLC. That would relieve pressure to not receive dark money?

I’m just flabbergasted at this stupid political move.

4 Likes

So the argument is; not getting a COLA will turn them corrupt? Not a good argument at all. They would have to be corrupt to begin with.

Lower McConnell’s pay because he doesn’t actually do his job.

4 Likes

So according to bartendernomics principles, and extra $4000 per year is gonna curb corruption among elected officials?

Some lobbyist group comes up with a Saint Maarten focus group and invites a congressman and his family, $4000 is chump change.

4 Likes

AOC is right as are Matt Stoller and Benjamin Wittes. The cost of living in DC is so high that $174,000 is not enough to support a family unless you have another source of income. (Bribes anyone?) Not only are most of the legislators wealthy but many of the staff have to be well-to-do also in order to afford their jobs. Do we only want millionaires representing us? I lived there and worked for a Senate Committee for a year. I was single or I couldn’t have managed on my salary. I live better now in a small town with my Social Security and part time work which together are less than half what I made when living in DC.

2 Likes

Hi Hackerk:
Happy Anniversary. I also agree that all people need a livable wage, as more and more cities are becoming unaffordable for so many. When America had decent wages, and . higher taxes for corporations and the rich—more workers in America did better.
If there was no Wall St. and micro betting on stocks—that would be very beneficial----and really, to believe that corporations are people, just because a long tome ago, clerk, wrote HIS opinion in a margin—is just stupid----Corporations are not people, because if they were— a really unhappy group of citizens would have hung them long ago!

2 Likes

It must be nice to vote for a raise for one’s self. I would guess that the 78% of Americans who live paycheck to paycheck would do the same.

Have to agree

https://ballotpedia.org/Net_worth_of_United_States_Senators_and_Representatives

And This

This one goes up to 2018

1 Like

So there IS a crack in the armor.

1 Like

Ninety-Nine and Forty-Four Hundredths Percent of them already ARE corrupt.  Instead of raising their pay, eliminate their special Health Insurance and Retirement programs, and make all of them live on Medicare and Social Security once we kick them out of office.

Lower his pay, HELL! — Kick him out and take away his retirement benefits, 'cause he Never HAS done the job he swore to do when he took office.

2 Likes

Totally agree. The median net worth of a member of Congress was $1,029,505 in 2013 — a 2.5 percent increase from 2012 — compared with an average American household’s median net worth of $56,355. Once again, the majority of members of Congress are millionaires — 271 of the 533 members currently in office, or 50.8 percent.OPEN SECRETS. furthermore - as if $4500 added dollars is sufficient incentive for those who feed at the trough to exercise any restraint. Her position is utterly naive about human nature.

3 Likes

So, the $4500/yr raise = $375/month …approximately $90 more a month makes a significant difference in your opinion? I resent any of my tax dollars going to increase the income of any millionaire…staffers ok…but not millionaires…how many millionaires in the House (50.5%) own DC real estate or benefit from so-called “development” in DC?

2 Likes

I mean $90 more a week.

I think better motivation for our representatives would be to peg their salary at five times minimum wage, based on a 40-hour week.

3 Likes

No sympathy for OVERPAID politicians who don’t do their jobs and don’t get anything done, while enjoying the best benefits and undeserved bloated vacation time. Who consistently vote to increase military spending with no questions asked, despite billions being unaccounted year after year - money we don’t have to begin with. Who retire as multi-millionaires and become lobbyists? Who rob the middle class and drive Americans into poverty? Who vote against the will of the people on every issue? Who are destroying the planet for future generations? They want a raise?

4 Likes

If you want to be realistic, most of these Congressmen seek office to enrich themselves and their cronies. A pitiful pay raise like this will do absolutely nothing to prevent corruption.

Sorry but that’s human nature. No matter what the system is, there’s going to be some who think they’re above the law and will do whatever they fucking want.

It’s a shame she’s so naive but I give her props for speaking out.

2 Likes

she’s young and botched this one, but there is an argument to be made for increasing pay not in the service for the corrupt millionaires in there already, but for the potential influx of more ordinary people like AOC and the freshmen who need to be able to live adequately on their salary because they’re not coming in rich.

The optics, admittedly, are stupid, especially since she missed the one argument that might have flown.

American workers haven’t gotten substantial pay raises in more than two generations. The last thing we want to see is our overlords–even the more humble ones–giving themselves a raise. It’s just bad for morale.

Edit: I sit corrected. She did get around to the argument at the end of the tweet onslaught. Still…it’s bad optics.

3 Likes

Dear OAC, Think the world of you but you are off base on this. Most congress people make too much money to qualify for help to pay for their health insurance. So they set up a corporation in DC to give each congress critter and permanent staff ten thousand dollars to help pay for it. If they are in a bind, get a second job.

1 Like

I work really hard and am lucky to get a 1% annual raise.
Supposedly raises are based on merit, how hard you work.

From what I can see Congress does little to no work. The ONLY thing they vote on and pass quickly are their own annual raises. It is utter BS!

1 Like

Sounds like your numbers are too low!

1 Like