Home | About | Donate

'Not a Speech of Concession': Applause for Powerful Defiance as Stacey Abrams Ends Bid in Georgia by Condemning 'Deliberate' Voter Suppression by GOP

'Not a Speech of Concession': Applause for Powerful Defiance as Stacey Abrams Ends Bid in Georgia by Condemning 'Deliberate' Voter Suppression by GOP

Jon Queally, staff writer

In a speech late Friday that acknowledged no further legal remedy remains to challenge the election process in Georgia, the message delivered by Democratic gubenatorial candidate Stacey Abrams won wild applause when she declared that while Republican Brian Kemp may have won the race hers was "not a speech of concession" when it came to the degree to which "democracy failed" amid rampant voter suppression throughout the campaign and through election day.

2 Likes

The simple fact that Georgia allowed the deliberate voter suppression that they did, brings their racial hatred front and center for all to see.

Targeting those most responsible for termination from public service will be the mission of many in the net election cycle.

8 Likes

“Don’t stop-thinkingabout tomorrow”

2 Likes

Atlanta is sometimes referred to as " the Athens of the New South ". Its wonderful airport hub is the gateway to life changing new opportunities, a rich and diverse cultural landscape and …
" We interrupt our regularly scheduled half-assed infomercials to bring you some late breaking truths. Go ahead with your prepared remarks, ( Should Be Governor ) Ms. Tracy Abrams " : _____________________________.
And thank you for your bravery, too righteously speaking truth to power and incredible patriotic service to the people of Georgia and America.
Vaya con Dios

4 Likes

Every one of the Fossilized Democrats had better take notice of this powerful woman who knows how to fight. Best wishes to her.

6 Likes

The fight we are now entering thanks to her will go along way to addressing the deep racist roots of this nation and to undo the power of the Old South. We all need to contribute to her efforts.

7 Likes

A reasonable remedy that would go a long way towards solving the problem would be a law requiring somebody running for office could not also hold the office supervising the election for that office.

8 Likes

Abrams said something very valuable: “…stoicism is a luxury…”

7 Likes

Right. Georgia allowed the deliberate voter suppression, with the best outcome possible for the former “Secretary of State,” who gladly oversaw the suppression.

Somewhat like Congress deliberately ignoring the ongoing presence of DT.

2 Likes

That’s reasonable, all right.

stoic: a person who can endure pain or hardship without showing their feelings or complaining.

I’ve always thought of it as being silent in face of injustice and tragedy.

And had no idea it was actually a “system” followed by many!

1 Like

This is the weirdest situation I think I’ve seen in my life. I would like to see the law that allows a candidate to over see their own election, though I doubt it exists. What I think is that there isn’t a law for or against such tactics, leaving no ability to rule either way. Georgians not stopping this is beyond racial is my guess. It’s part of the equation, but not the sum of it. Being allowed to over see your own election is a level of corruption that mirrors the time period of Earl and Heuy Long of Louisiana. I think the correct route would be to force a court hearing that would force a judge to rule for or against, doesn’t matter which way, to set preccident in future cases or amendments for this situation.

1 Like

The Georgia governor election was stolen by Brian Kemp. It was stolen before the vote was even taken when he removed hundreds of thousands from the voring rolls, many illegally. It was stolen when he refused to process 53,000 voter registrations on ridiculous technicalities that proved nothing about a voter’s identity. It was stolen when Kemp served as both election participant and referee, such an obvious conflict of interest, yet the legal system failed to do anything about it.

All this was done in plain sight. So much for US elections being the envy of people around the world.

3 Likes

In the case of black people stoicism has been expected of them for far too long. Witness the Black Lives Matter youth–they certainly are not accepting this and why they are a target of white supremacists.

3 Likes

There’s a lot more going down in the Rural South than anyone can comprehend, as I lived there for 3 years and witnessed all of it. Nothing changes and the Residents still use the word Yankee. It’s like the Civil War ended yesterday.

3 Likes

Not sure it ever ended. The vengefulness is truly astonishing, really. First they are destroying the party of Lincoln by joining it and now they are destroying the nation as a whole. Another powerful reason to rid ourselves of not only gerrymandering but the entire Electoral College and the reinstatement of the Voting Rights Act.

1 Like

Agreed but, at this point, doing that will take an act of god–or a real revolution. Americans fiddled with their iPhones while the Constitution was burned.

3 Likes

Deep gratitude to Stacy Abrams - and all of the folks who worked so hard to get this on the record.

I would encourage folks to step back for an overview of the ECONOMIC machinations prior to and as a result of the mid-term elections.

Richard Wolff adds - among the many elements in his monthly review - that the Amazon Bezos moves need to be seen, understood and spoken of for what they really are; and calls attention to the fact that the years of financial system bailouts ARE NOT COMPILED IN DATA BASES. That requires a bit a chewing through.
Global Capitalism: The Economic Consequences of the Election - What Can We Expect? [November 2018]

1 Like

Wow, The Donald was right------there was major theft in the elections---- as in Georgia and Florida… I am still wondering about Texas.
Stacey Abrams is a wonder! She is the first instance where I would ever believe that cloning people is a great idea. Stacey Abrams is the real thing in what a politician could be!. Georgia is a lucky state for its People ,of its the People and by an amazing woman! : )

They built a dyke of hatred and fear which seems somehow to still exist in the minds
of Southerners – but it is clear now what they have been trying to prevent from happening –
and if it hasn’t happened at this very moment, it won’t be too far in the future.

What Elites fear most is an end to the Civil War which would unite the nation in common thought
and goals.

1 Like