Home | About | Donate

Not a Straight White Man? U.S. Religious Conservatives Are Coming for You

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/08/04/not-straight-white-man-us-religious-conservatives-are-coming-you

3 Likes

As a straight white man myself, trust me the U.S. religious conservatives are also coming after me. Why? Because I am tolerant.

11 Likes

A preamble to a Earth Consitution for New Humans …
We must create upheaval ,upheaval is necessary if we are to produce a society of New Humans …who understand that neither race nor gender nor nationality nor religious persuasion nor sexual orientation nor any other aspect of a person’s individuality disqualify that person from participating fully in the human experience at the highest level and in whatever way he or she chooses, so long as that choice does not impinge upon the rights of safety of other’s.

America is lost in its own religious nationalism ,we must transcend to a world government with resources belonging to all the world’s people .

Organised Religious teachings from such a narrrow spectrum are totally dysfunctional and not in harmony with life .
Only our highest spiritual values applied over our politics can create a society that works .
Spirituality is our current politics demonstrated as you can see we have far to go.
Written on your coins you have ;
E Pluribus Unum …Out of Many One .
Forget religion return to Spirituality, transcend religion .

5 Likes

They’ll be coming after this straight, white man for being an atheist. And for outspokenly hating their guts.

10 Likes

Well, if that’s what the commission is determined to do, let them start cleaning house with the queer senator from South Carolina, Lindsey Graham. (I embrace diversity but if the Pompeo pompous want this… let them start here). He has become as toxic to society as Moscow Mitch.

2 Likes

I know hate is an extreme thing and we “shouldn’t” but damned if I don’t hate this administration and it’s minion.

3 Likes

Oh my Dog, I forgot I am an atheist. They’ll make me wear a scarlet “A”.

7 Likes

Yes, hate is a loaded word, and yet a valid descriptor of a common, stressful emotional state. As a survivor of C-PTSD, it’s also dangerous, debilitating territory, triggered especially by this variety of willfully ignorant, hubristic, hypocritical bully (e.g., Pompeo). Yeah. I hate him. But I don’t recommend it. Hate hurts.

2 Likes

That’s, like, transcendent!

1 Like

It sounds like an attempt to establish a national religion, even if you aren’t familiar with the context of the phrase “inalienable rights” in the Declaration:

“We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights”

Of course, Boofin’ Bart would be quick to point out that the Constitution only prohibits Congress from establishing a national religion; that prohibition does not extend to the executive.

2 Likes

Yeah, how long before the evangelical, Bible trumping, christian, fascists have their own police and come knocking on your door saying: " Ed, how come we have not seen you in church? We consider atheists to be unpatriotic!"

4 Likes

The vehicle for imposing these changes will be the Constitutional convention that is just around the corner.

4 Likes

So, we are Paul Newman and they are Strother Martin. And we have a failure to communicate.

2 Likes

Sounds like this is a prelude to the Koch-Tea Party getting ready to rewrite our constitution. Let’s send a message to these bigots that we will not tolerate this and if any constitution is to be re-written we are all going to have a say. If not, then rolling, total, non cooperation.

4 Likes

Watcha gonna do with religious liberal? Heck, some are downright red, pinko commies !!
don’tcha know?
Sponsoring immigrant childrens and economically poor minorities in private education schools - even up thru college !! Drat, they’ll wreck the whole darn nation, I tell ya !!

Working in a hot kitchen every Friday afternoon preparing supper for elderly and homeless and poor. Yes, more nation wrecking. They are doing what government is supposed to do. Arrest the scoundrels, I say.

The community organizers have the income to dine in fine.
Poor and homeless stand in line.
Interestingly, they do not whine.
And politely say thank you.

So I’m clearly a target then as an atheist. Even if I’m a white male with unambiguous ideals as to what constitutes Real freedoms. Not, instead, of contrived restrictions by misogynous, bigoted, religiously motivated men by ideals of the distant past.

2 Likes

What are our natural rights born to this EARTH and not the STATE? INDIVIDUAL FREEDOM-------THE COMMONS----a right to breath clean air----a right to clean water—a right to land----and a right to natural resources---------In the english slave language WE ARE THE OWNERS!

We need to teach these TRUTHS and stop the indoctrination into these elite controlled state systems of death.

2 Likes

I have had my share of abuse and I concur that hate hurts. Trying to separate the hidden life within an individual from the their hateful personalities that spew out so much poison is not easy. James Baldwin said it so well:

“You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read. It was Dostoevsky and Dickens who taught me the things that tormented me most were the very things that connected me with all the people who were alive, or who ever had been alive. Only if we face these open wounds in ourselves can we understand them in other people.”

3 Likes

Great article. But things are much worse than its title, “Not a Straight White Man? U.S. Religious Conservatives Are Coming for You”.
The truth could be titled, “Not a Person Who Supports the Lies of a Corrupted Political Tradition? U.S. Pubs/Dems Are Coming For You.”
Extremism rules. Decepticons demand your obedience.

1 Like

They’ll be going after this one for having a disability and being a progressive liberal.

3 Likes