Home | About | Donate

'Not Good Enough': Trump's Charlottesville Speech Slammed as Too Little, Too Late

'Not Good Enough': Trump's Charlottesville Speech Slammed as Too Little, Too Late

Jake Johnson, staff writer

"Not good enough." "Insufficient." "Too little, too late."

"It is a sad state of affairs when it's a news story that the president of the United States condemns racism and white supremacy."
—Vanita Gupta, The Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights

If this doesn’t reveal the true face of conservatism, what will?

“Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.” - John Stuart Mill

‘Trump is “seriously considering a pardon” for former Arizona Sheriff Joe Arpaio, who was found guilty of criminal contempt of court last month after failing to adhere to a court order demanding that he stop racially profiling Latinos.’

If Eichmann were still alive, the orange turd would probably pardon him, too.
;-})

Given that Trump’s campaign manager was Steve Bannon and his chief political strategist is the same Steve Bannon, former head of Breitbart News which he claimed was the platform of the alt-right, we know where Trump stands on white supremacy. His latest attempt at condemnation means nothing. Only actions will suffice to show that he repudiates these white supremacist groups. I would expect him instead to accelerate his support of white nationalism as a way to show spite against those calling him out on this.

Just listened to the orange monkey. Wish he had just kept his trap shut.

A singular truly unified solidarity “THE Movement” can not be truly effective at the ‘strategic’ level (nor at the ‘narrative’ level) if it can so easily, frequently, and at the whim of the opposition be forced to shift gears every month, week, or even daily ‘news cycle’.

As I have been preaching into the wind for some time, if we let the truth of the old saying “Can’t see the forest for the trees” be leveraged by the opposition into a successful deployment, disguise, and distraction of, “Can’t see the forest of EMPIRE for the trees of Issues” then no effective Resistance, nor certainly the essential Second American Political Revolution Against Empire can succeed.

This weekend’s curve ball (which the EMPIRE IMHO clearly pitched) has done exactly that. Turned the limited progress on a number of very important, but subordinate ‘issues’, from any sustainable ‘strategy’ or ‘narrative’ into the same sort of mush that the media/propaganda-sector of the EMPIRE did to the multiple-issued “Occupy” movement when violence was injected by the EMPIRE.

It boarders on the height of absurd that the progress on progressive issues has now been so easily hijacked by the EMPIRE turning any coherent message into such a stupid and unproductive bottom line as, “alt-right vs. antifa” — what a useless and ‘in the gutter’ fight for no good purpose.

The only possible, accurate, coherent, logical, understandable ‘narrative’ and effectively competitive winning ‘strategy’ that can so easily win this war — because we are now in a war (of words and ideas) — is to shift the battle to a higher, broader, and more accurate strategy and believable ‘narrative’ of simply:

Anti-EMPIRE vs Pro-Empire

All of obviously tiny minority of; racists, Nazis, cheaters, Wall Street looters,
sociopaths, war-starters, haters, takers, self-proclaimed Emperors, direct or indirect killers, lying phonies, etc., etc., etc. are nothing if not PRO-Empire
loosers, who could so soon be dispatched by simply asking the seminal question: “Which side is on the side of EMPIRE?” -----

Which side stands, as early Americans did on the side of; Liberty, equality, democracy, justice, progress, freedom ---- and “NOT acting like an EMPIRE”??

Conversely, and Provably — which side deceitfully plots to be “Masters of the Universe”, employs violence, supports oligarchy, power, serves plutocracy, is autocratic, authoritarian, is proto-fascist (even uber fascist), militarist, arrogant, boastful, bullying in the extreme, and most obviously in the character of Trump (but also Hillary) wants to be an Emperor (or in her case, an "Empress-in-waiting’ and certified “War Hawk” [NYT Magazine ‘cover-story’ Mark Landler].

https://www.nytimes.com/201

The last thing in the world that the principled progressive left should ever want to accidentally cause ---- which this first in world history; ‘effectively-disguised’, ‘truly-global’, and crony 'capitalist-fueled’EMPIRE which is only nominally HQed in, and merely ‘posing’ as, our former country may well, IMHO, have plotted is to have faux-Emperor/president Trump removed in order to get a ‘smoother-lying’ neoliberal-con compliant, globalist, ‘D’ Vichy Party faux-Emperor/president back-in and installed!

If ‘the movement’ doesn’t have a truly well thought-out and promulgated ‘strategy’ and effective ‘narrative’ defined by now to support a successful and peaceful "Political Revolution against Empire’ (and both its Vichy parties) then as John Maynard Keynes should have said, “We’re all dead in the short run”

Clarificaton

Trump dd not denounce “the KKK, neo-Nazis, white supremacists, and other hate groups”.

Trump read a statement clearly written by someone else.
That statement denounced “the KKK, neo-Nazis, white supremacists, and other hate groups”.

Big difference,

A muddled, convoluted but ultimately Trump supporting screed. It was often argued here during the election that Trump was the anti empire candidate. This merely perpetuates that argument. As a side argument it trivializes the existence of a very large and organized fascist movement that has already killed many.

I do not intend this as one-upmanship, and certainly not with regard to Vanita Gupta. But I think her statement in the picture caption, undoubtedly written in haste, hardly conveys the depth of the swamp:

“This unconscionable delay has undermined his moral credibility as our nation’s leader,” said Vanita Gupta. . . ."

I think a majority of the USian public, regardless of whom they voted for, recognized before the election that Donald Trump has NEVER had any moral credibility.

The problem I have with this is that these values have no meaning when you arrive unannounced, uninvited, steal the land of the indigenes and then proceed to wipe them out and then enslave and drag people from Africa to these sorry shores–all the while claiming a ‘christian’ ethos. Now, if you were actually referencing the Iroquois peoples you might have a case.

Duopoly is Both Wings of the Same Empire Bird.

Excellent insight, Giovanna-Lepore.

This is appalling to see adults make hate statements like this. It isn’t true. Both sides have the same thinking skills per capita. Your post itself shows a problem on the left.
The Sane Progressive did a good talk on this yesterday and the othering and keeping us divided that the corpratocracy wants to do:

Trump ONLY said what he finally said because he HAD to; somebody (his daughter, perhaps?) cornered him and said, “if you don’t get out there and say something, and sound sincere in saying it, you will NEVER get re-elected!” If it were up to Trump, he would have said, “hey, bad things happen”, and been done with it. After all, he doesn’t want to offend his base.

I was thinking about his base also and that he just slapped them. Um, good.

Fake news Donny? Nah, fake presidency. You have the power of the entire federal legal apparatus and can destroy these hate criminals in a week. Do it.

Of course T-Rump is not conservative, nor are the vast majority of people who are so labeled today; similarly with “liberal,” the question being What is proposed to be conserved, what is proposed to be liberated (and from what)?

Many such provocative quotes from famous people turn out to be apocryphal, but that one from Mill is genuine. I doubt that I could put my hand on it directly, but I have the documentation somewhere, and will wear my shirt bearing the quote tomorrow.

It is instructive to realize that while Mill was considered the great Liberal of his day, he was never able to get outside the bonds of classical political economy (his profession), which is the foundation of what today would be called “fascism” but without the specific emphasis on the necessary role of war. He even added to its draconian worldview with a mechanistic notion of human behavior ridiculed as “Homo economicus” by his detractors, doubtless a remnant from his early acquaintance from his father’s friend Jeremy Bentham, himself not entirely the great liberal he is often considered to be.

Perhaps the Penguin can explain it better:

https://www.dailykos.com/blog/Tom%20Tomorrow/

Maybe he’s a modern conservative:

"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man’s oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness. John Kenneth Galbraith

Bannon is an alcoholic and hypocritical Catholic. Trump is as useless as tits on a bull. They call themselves conservative republicans – Gaseous Old Pharts…