Home | About | Donate

"Not In Our Names": Families of 9/11 Victims Protest Trump's Travel Ban

"Not In Our Names": Families of 9/11 Victims Protest Trump's Travel Ban

Lauren McCauley, staff writer

People who lost family members in the September 11 terror attacks are rallying in New York City's Battery Park on Thursday against U.S. President Donald Trump's travel ban, sending the message that they do not sanction "discrimination in our loved one's names."

"As family members who lost close relatives in the attack, we will not tolerate President Trump's use of 9/11 to defend his deplorable anti-American political agenda," read a statement by the families.

The relatives of victims of 9/11 have a very powerful, moral voice. Their stand is very uplifting for the RESIST movement.
A big thank you to them, for taking this stand.

Wasn't Trump going to reopen the 9/11 investigation?
I guess his handlers got to him.
Funny how he gives the excuse for deporting Dreamers as fulfilling a campaign promise but he selectively only keeps the promises that his bosses approve.

As a 9/11 family member, I'd bet dollars to donuts that a majority, maybe a significant majority support the ban. Do they still have great moral weight? And when large numbers of 9/11 families protested the "Ground Zero" mosque, in much larger numbers than this, was their voice of great moral value? Did Common Dreams and the media in general regard them the same? And the object they stand in front of here is the WTC Sphere, a symbol of world peace damaged in the attacks but the only artifact to survive intact. One might argue that it stands as pretty good testamony that we do not all share common dreams, and that the realities of our world demands constant vigilance. Something lacking prior to the attacks and that allowed the terrorists to succeed. And is the objectification of women, as represented by the wearing of the hijab and burka, central to Muslim thought, compatible with American/western liberalism?

I agree with Wilbur and am also a 9/11 family member. I don't have a problem with the travel ban for many reasons but the primary reason has and always will be the safety of my family. I am not anti- Muslim and have travelled since 9/11 on several occasions to Muslim countries. I do not feel Trump put forth a religious ban, it is merely a stop gap idea giving our government personnel some time to re-evaluate the way immigrants from countries without a centralized government are vetted before they arrive in the US and then once they arrive in the US. I actually take hombrage to the 9th circuit coyrt's opinion which coincides with a negatively charged and exaggerated anti-Trump public. A court in every case should not be handing out opinions based on political leanings. Aliens entering the US from nations without a centralized governent and are not American citizens have no rights, they are not American. The past 8 years have been mired with the ideology of a president whose foreign policies led from behind. New president, fresh unpolitical eyes and a backbone that sustains growth and being proactive instead of one that supports a complacent, stagnant posture should be something welcomed by alI not protested, at least not like this. Here's a thought, if Bill Clinton had considered more than himselafter the 1993 WTC bombing or had even listened to his intelligence officers perhaps 9/11 could have been prevented! Instead, the greedy Clinton machine went from 8 years in office making millions of dollars in the Emirates to HRC carrying it all forward by becoming a NY Senator in 2001. Shame on the two of them for dumping their negligence into the next presidents term and making millions off of it in the process. And shame on Obama for shrugging off the notion that anti-American factions need no attention or scrutiny. On another note, I have great respect for Families of September 11th, but in this case their narrow decry only serves to weaken whatever voice we have left.

I'm an attorney in New York City who primarily works with the survivors and families of deceased victims of 9/11 and the aftermath. I am also a Muslim. I can tell you, first hand, that what the Federal Government did (tell first responders that it was safe to go to the area without any protection) is exponentially worse than what the terrorists did. More people have died of cancer since 9/11 that the people who died on the day of the attacks.

I also understand your concern for safety in this country. What is your explanation for the fact that citizens of 7 countries named in the ban have not committed an act of terrorism in the U.S. for over 30 years? What is your explanation for the fact that none of the 9/11 hijackers came from any of the 7 named countries? What is your explanation for the fact that all of the countries from which the 9/11 hijackers originated are not included in the ban?

If your concerned about safety, then yes, you should be very very concerned. This ban does nothing to alleviate any safety concerns.

once again, the 7 countries that have been levied with a TEMPORARY ban DO NOT have centralized governments as do Saudi Arabia. And how dare you sir ever feel free to opinion on how I feel about my husband being murdered by Islamist extremists on 9/11. You and all the rest who feign to represent my feelings should just ..... not.