Home | About | Donate

'Not Just Bad, It's Pathological': While Pushing Big Oil Bailouts, Trump Slaps Wind and Solar Industry With $50 Million in Old Rent Bills

The Arctic is melting down and the next generation is going to starve if we do nothing. The planet is going to have to make some sacrifices.

First, we’re going to have to hire thousands of people to perform research and development. The worst part is that we’re not going to be exclusively paying Ivy League professors to do this work, but sometimes we’ll have to pay ordinary talented people. The best ideas unfortunately can come out of left field and Harvard professors can’t just swoop in and scoop up the best ideas and bomb the survivors. The sad truth is, among the commoners are uncommon people who have ideas and can invent. Can’t we just draft and enslave these precious commoners and force them to work? No, it just won’t work that way, sorry.

Worse, we’re going to be forced to disrupt the gravy trains of some very rich industrial friends of the government. Technology is disruptive and that’s always terrible news for the entrenched. Perhaps we can adequately compensate the poor victims.

1 Like

Hi Greenwich,

Agree with you about the elites and patriarchy being suicidal (I would add ecocidal), they are violent and obviously very, very powerful.

I hope Common Dreams posts the article by Nathan Robinson linked below as a feature piece because it very concisely/accessibly lays out how the minority can overtake the majority in the u.s. as evidenced by what is happening in Wisconsin:

Wisconsin is starting to resemble a failed state

(h)ttps://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/may/19/wisconsin-coronavirus-supreme-court-failed-state

Excerpts:

“A failed state is one that can no longer claim legitimacy or perform a government’s core function of protecting the people’s basic security.”

“Wisconsin’s Republicans have succeeded in capturing power in the state even without having to capture popular approval.”

“The easier it is for the masses to participate, the more difficult it is for Republicans to protect the 1%, who really should be winning exactly 1% of the vote. Donald Trump admitted that if voting were easy enough Republicans would never win another election.”

This is exactly what is happening in the u.s. Add to that massive ignorance along with institutional racism/sexism/ageism and I see no way out of this except collapse -----which is not an “out” given the state of our biosphere thanks to humans.

2 Likes

Not German. German company but made in the USA. Siemens has a big plant in Ft. Madison, Iowa. You can view it with Google view from satellite. I see their blades heading west every time I travel on I-70 across Kansas, which, by the way had 36.9 percent of their electricity generated by early last year, after already exporting much of that to surrounding states.
There are tons of windmills, as wind farms, in Kansas, installed across farms, often alongside oil company donkey pumps. Both the windmills and the oil pumps provide farmers and ranchers with extra money, often the difference between continuing to farm or going bankrupt.
And those wind farms are from a variety of manufacturers. I don’t know the others but I know the blade shapes and generators hubs differ.

Also, wind and other renewables are catching up despite opposition, despite lack of subsidies (as if oil actually needs subsidies, though the ruinous fracking operations are in the hole, they should never have been, destroying not only the air but our water supply). The only obvious move for big oil is to use oil money to build (and control) the renewable market.

2 Likes

thank you for the update.

There is power in spending with consciousness; boycott these evil corps out of existence!
Don’t panic, Go organic!

1 Like

Hi Caroline – and Thank you – !!

Did go to the link – and realized I had already read the article –

As Chomsky pointed out to us long ago all of government (including our courts) are simply
typewriters and it depends on who is doing the writing as to what comes out –
Liberals had the Courts at times urgent to our nation when Civil Rights were the issue –
when there was no free access to birth control, when there was no reproductive freedom
except in limited ways in some states. And when homosexuals were still closeted after
a thousand years or more of oppression and denial of jobs/careers – used as scapegoats
in the Cold War/McCarthy Era.

The majority of us welcomed these changes, but there were many others who were susceptible
to right wing propaganda telling them that they should be angry.

This is a liberal nation – yet many Americans didn’t at all realize the support for liberal
government and liberal ideals because information that would have confirmed that for them
was denied to them. The anti-war opposition in US long ago was over 84% – and its even
higher internationally – yet we have perpetual wars going on under the banner of “Regime Change.”

We are still fighting WWII and Hitler in many ways – and the same methods of operation are
being used by Elites as they used at that time to recruit, run and support Hitler. Especially
in regard to Hitler’s “Nuremberg laws” which made everything he did legal. You have only to
look at Barr’s outrageous suggestion that the president can’t be held criminally liable for anything
as long as he holds the presidency. That insanity becoming unfounded law in the US.

I agree with you and everything in the article - and I’m sure we don’t even know all of the
filthy things the GOP is doing to prevent honest voting in US. But certainly Pelosi, Hoyer
and Schumer don’t have much to say about it. Imagine if the situation were reversed what
the GOP and their supporters would be doing to stop it – !!
(The most Pelosi said (that I’m aware of) on our hackable computers was that she thought
it best not to destroy the trust of citizens in the right to vote!)
We have NOTHING coming from the Dem Party – in fact, we have the reverse - collusion.

This is FASCISM – this is how it works and runs – and since so much of it has happened
in secret it is difficult to convince the public of what has happened and what is happening.
These are lies too big and events too large (9/11) for the public to grasp. Especially after the
New Deal and the TRUST in government FDR inspired.

Nature is making the problem clear –
Whether there is time enough for it to become fully clear that it is Elites and corporations/
CAPITALISM and “Christianity” that have caused this damage there is no way of knowing.
But, imo, citizens will not disrupt what is left of their lives until they fully understand that and
are moved to protect their children. And then, it will likely be too late. IMO, this is what
happened in Germany to allow the unbelievable to happen.

My apologies for being so negative – I wish I could be more optimistic.

Trump is the perfect example of fascism’s insanity and the stonewalling –
There were times when we thought too that Nixon wouldn’t fall – but he finally did.

As I’ve said elsewhere, I began recently to try to reach out to supporters of Trump to try
to understand just why they think the way they do. Unfortunately, I’ve had to stop because
other things are keeping me busy – but will try to resume shortly.

What I think every American has to understand is that our Founders did NOT create a
democracy here; they created an Elite/Patriarchy and gave us no tools whatsoever to create
or run a democracy. We didn’t even have the vote. Look at the difference in the world between
that time despite the Founders and how far we have moved it to the liberal/Enlightenment side.
Nader has often pointed that out –
What is happening now is that Trump is trying for the sake of Elites to undo all the liberal change
that has been created over 300 plus years even without any real tools to do it.

1 Like

Excellent post, thank you.

I have reached out to trump supporters (former friends/neighbors) to try and understand why they think the way they do. In the case of 3 of them I discovered there lurked a deep seated racism that has been free to come to the surface courtesy of trump et al.

Others have been indoctrinated with the poor being “lazy, fat with too many children”
One person actually said to me: “I am fit and take care of myself, have a good job and good health insurance----why should I have to foot the bill for an obese person that makes poor life choices?”

Some say hatred is rooted in fear. These people do not seem afraid to me, they seem entitled and lack empathy.

Let me (us) know what your explorations uncover re: why people support trump.

No need to apologize! It is refreshing to read others speaking what I see is the reality here-----. the truth which I believe will all be revealed fully very soon.

Remember watching movies about nazi Germany, with characters that you grow to care about that are in denial about what is happening, the severity and danger of Nazi Germany/Hitler?

While watching some of those films I think I’ve yelled at the screen: “get out while you can!”. But they did not and died in concentration camps or some other tragic death.

That is what it feels like to be here now. I am panicking about getting out of this country (as I’ve said here many times!) before it gets brutal on all levels.
My daughter had a Fulbright scholarship that was going to provide passage to a safer country ----she was supposed to leave in July.

Got word that it is postponed and my be cancelled. It feels like those excruciatingly painful movies when people were close to getting out of Nazi Germany before it was too late. I want her out of this country . .

1 Like

Well said!

2 Likes

GREEN is the new Blue or Red.

2 Likes

Caroline –
Thank you for your reply – all of it –

And for your closing paragraphs –

Think many of us here have given a lot of thought as to how to get out –
My sister and brother-in-law did – and was hoping that my daughter and son-in-law
would be able to do the same – but BREXIT will likely limit those chances.

My daughter tells me that her impression is that the colleges are very anxious to go
forward with the Freshman classes – and very anxious to move students who had
foreign opportunities to move them out of the US this year.
Trust you may find some good news still in that regard.

That was also at a time that the movie industry recognized the threat of Hitler/fascism –
but even here the HUAC was turned against their original assignment – to track Nazi
organizations here – and suddenly they and McCarthy were purging all liberals from
government. And they were creating a COLD WAR. History/Discoverty Channel continues
on (thankfully) with Hitler/All the time. And hope they continue. No one has really tackled
the reality of the huge Elite influence over our government and how that worked to protect
Hitler and those who had recruited and supported him here and internationally. And how
that influence failed to allow sufficient resistance from US earlier than it happened.
TRUMBO was a movie that I didn’t think said enough; but in re-watching it again, perhaps
it is working to wake up more of the public. That the Hollywood 10 didn’t succeed in defeating
McCarthy is still a living nightmare – with even very popular actors having to back away –
Bogart/Sinatra.

Remember watching movies about nazi Germany, with characters that you grow to care about that are in denial about what is happening, the severity and danger of Nazi Germany/Hitler?

While watching some of those films I think I’ve yelled at the screen: “get out while you can!”. But they did not and died in concentration camps or some other tragic death.

That is what it feels like to be here now. I am panicking about getting out of this country (as I’ve said here many times!) before it gets brutal on all levels.

My daughter had a Fulbright scholarship that was going to provide passage to a safer country ----she was supposed to leave in July.

Got word that it is postponed and my be cancelled. It feels like those excruciatingly painful movies when people were close to getting out of Nazi Germany before it was too late. I want her out of this country . .

If trump collects the 50 million, perhaps he could give it to the Bundy’s. Oops, that’s right, they didn’t pay their rent either.

I left after the 9-11 Iraq blame game started, as soon as my kids graduated. I’m proud of what my surrogate country does,and help out when I can.
But I can never be a citizen, not even a permanent resident here.
I get lots of love, don’t get me wrong. But everything does not come up roses. I do not look anything like a local. There are age limits for things that prevent me from working now. I don’t want to go back home, and even tried a couple times, but…be careful what you wish for.

1 Like

Understand –

I immediately noticed long ago when looking to move on from here that
no matter where you went you were a victim of US foreign policy –

My sister was fortunate in that she planned her move over decades –
husband was an Irish immigrant and in the end she was able to take my
Mother with them – ironic as my grandmother had left Killarney in early
1900’s and my grandfather left Cork to come here.

My daughter’s husband has some kind of opportunity via his family for
British citizenship, which European Union was allowing – now in question.
Takes a lot of courage to do what you’ve done! Best wishes.