Home | About | Donate

Not Just the Bees, First-of-Its-Kind Study Shows Neonics May Be Deadly to Birds as Well

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/09/13/not-just-bees-first-its-kind-study-shows-neonics-may-be-deadly-birds-well

1 Like

Capitalists are killing the birds and the bees.

17 Likes

The EPA announced in May it would cancel the registrations of 12 neonicotinoid pesticides, but in July, the Trump administration removed restrictions on sulfoxaflor, a neonic that’s been found to kill bees in low doses.

Redrum Redrum…Redrum Redrum

7 Likes

Just give up with the “maybes”, “possiblies”, “mightbes”, “couldbes”, etc. I haven’t seen one bee-eater this summer. The swallows and swifts were thin on the ground compared to last year. No insects; bees, wasps, butterflies, dragonflies, moths. Not even many bats. Most people don’t even notice. And this has been going on for many years now.

15 Likes

Trump and Cons killing off the “unproductive”.

3 Likes

And they will never understand how “productive” they are.

5 Likes

Just tell the whole truth…that this stuff affects ALL living things, including humans. Don’t give it to us in bits and pieces as if that softens the blow. Zombie-like, we’re all the walking dead but don’t want to admit it.

12 Likes

Crazy, but in my neck of the woods, the insects and bats are as strong as ever, and I pay close attention.

Backyard birds, insects, animals, plants are a big part of our lives, me and mine own true love. White-crowned sparrows pass through every year – no words can express the sadness we feel when we contemplate the heedless destruction ramping up everywhere we turn. Utter despair.

3 Likes

And that is why i do not give my dog any of those monsterous flea killers. I use natural components and groom her every day. It’s a battle (with all the street cats who come to me for their breakfast/dinner) but one i will not compromise. And as long as humans take the easy way out we are doomed to be slaves to big pharma and the likes of monsanto et al.

7 Likes

They are doing more than that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHNlel72eQc

3 Likes

You are lucky. Wonder why it’s different in some places. Are these migratory birds?

1 Like

" All to fuel …Cargill, ADM, Monsanto/Bayer, Dow Chemical, ethanol plants … Let’s just call them the Industrial Agricultural-Business Complex ( IABC ) and add it into The Alphabet Group.
We all live in a toxic Alphabet Soup. Every inhabitant is getting " dosed " with some type of poison. I feel sorry for all plants and animals that get stuck living with us. I don’t feel nearly as sorry for the perpetrators and enablers.

11 Likes

If it’s killing the Birds and the Bees, you can be damn sure, it’s gonna end up killing us.

12 Likes

Good for you! Sled dogs are expensive and so are never given corporate food, or corporate flea killers. They are fed mostly Chum salmon. That is where the term " dog salmon" comes from.

4 Likes

Silent Spring is Coming

7 Likes

I don’t know what “dog salmon” is. Please elaborate.

You are fortunate, if your bird/insect/bat populations are intact.

The same cannot be said here in Western Oregon, where we notice a stark decline in what was once strong numbers of song birds.

Too often we see a single member of a species, or a lone couple, but even then only briefly, and they often look emaciated.

Polinators are the same, in sharp decline. What was once a common sight, it is rare to see/hear the buss of bees, or catch a glimpse of a butterfly in random flight.

Articles like this tend to push me to the edge of how much we can endure.

And Friday the 13th used to be a lucky day for me…

10 Likes

And the beautiful herps. The shimmering snake people, the leopard frogs, etc.

We are bee keepers and organic gardeners and have been since the 70’s. Even here in the back back woods of rural MO, the life force is fading.

No time to waste getting the disconnected one’s out of power and on a ship to Ur-anus.

7 Likes

Silent Spring is a truly prescient book by Rachael Carson. I well remember that my class read that book in 10th grade biology, as well as ones as On Aggression, by Konrad Lorentz, and The Naked Ape, by Desmond Morris.

That said… As for the over use of neonics and similar debilitating substances, the power-elite just don’t care. In the short run, they maximize the return on their investments. Whereas, in the long run, whatever the scale of the resultant catastrophes, the global elites will not only survive them relatively well, but they will also strengthen their stranglehold on the suffering masses who look to them for relief and solutions.

2 Likes

I"d bet they don’t teach either of those books in 10th grade and more

3 Likes