Home | About | Donate

Not 'Serious' and 'Ridiculous': Edward Snowden Unimpressed with Both Trump and Clinton

Not 'Serious' and 'Ridiculous': Edward Snowden Unimpressed with Both Trump and Clinton

Jon Queally, staff writer

Though still living under asylum in Russia after leaking a trove of classified intelligence documents to journalists more than two years ago, NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden dipped his toe in U.S. presidential politics during an interview segment with Al-Jazeera that aired on Thursday.

Hillary may be toast. If Warren runs with Biden or any other Dem candidate except Bernie, she will have sold out. Her strength in standing up to Wall Street will disappear along with the Wall Street bribes such a ticket will need to run a campaign.

Do we know if Bernie Sanders has weighed-in on Manning, Snowden, and Assange, and if he would pardon Manning and drop any and all charges against Snowden and Assange? They deserve our thanks, not prison cells.

Excellent point! Maybe someone who is on twitter should ask him ... better yet, many someones should ask him!

Pwr 2 the WHISTLEBLOWING peons!
GUILLOTINE THE 1917 ESPIONAGE ACT!

@SenSanders The test of a great nation is how they treat whistleblowers. Will you pardon Manning, Snowden & Assange if you become president?

— power to the peons! ( @wiccanwolfess ) September 4, 2015

love it! please retweet to ALL Senators running for President!!

Gotta love the word 'oversight'. "Oh, it was just an oversight" gives new/old meaning to the designation "Oversight Committee" these days.

Just for entertainment - last year's interview with former NSA head General Keith Alexander. Keystone Cops begin to look like the model used for the state of babblety babble privilege impunity of "necessary rationale" to use the people as wipes

There can never be justice, democracy, or sanity in any class society. That's because the two top classes: spies, professors, MSM people, army/police echelons, politicians, judges, bankers possess, proportionate to their numbers, say, 20% of any given society, hold much more political power than all the 'lower' classes put together.
And in that of US, the two top classes, hold, i'd say, 100% political power in some policies [wars, sanctions, CIA activity, bombings, and overall probably 98% of political power.

Whistle blowers are vital for exposing otherwise hidden truths and are vital for a functioning democracy. Whistle blowers are not criminals, They expose the criminal
behavior being done in our name but not for our benefit. Making them the criminals is itself criminal. Award them medals, not prison.

Yes, great point! Interested to hear Bernie's answer.

HRC: " Snowden is helping terrorists."

And to paraphrase Orwell; IN A TIME OF UNIVERSAL DECEIT, TELLING THE TRUTH IS AN ACT OF TERROR

If he answers the 'right' way I might seriously have to reconsider not voting for him, but until we get that answer Chelsea Manning is still my choice for Prez!

Excellent people! Keep up the good work.

Sanders (Clemency for hero):
"The information disclosed by Edward Snowden has been extremely important in allowing Congress and the American people to understand the degree to which the NSA has abused its authority and violated our constitutional rights," Sanders said in a statement. "On the other hand, there is no debate that Mr. Snowden violated an oath and committed a crime. "In my view," Sanders continued, "the interests of justice would be best served if our government granted him some form of clemency or a plea agreement that would spare him a long prison sentence or permanent exile from the country whose freedoms he cared enough about to risk his own freedom."

and for further reading, please go to http://www.sanders.senate.gov/newsroom/must-read/why-i-dont-care-about-edward-snowden for Sanders EXCELLENT follow-up questions. Believe me, even if you think Bernie is the anti-Christ, use his follow-up questions in your campaign for Snowden and Whistleblowers and Heroes!

Now, what does Stein, O'Malley and all the others say? Seriously. Let's get it all out there!!! Peace

OnTheIssues: What's your opinion of Edward Snowden? Hero or traitor?
Stein: Hero ; he has done the American people an incredible service by exposing the violations of the Constitution that have been perpetrated on us--which was taken very seriously around the world, where he has been vindicated. The kind of spying going on has not been protecting us--not one instance of a terrorist plot was found by these abuses--none, by mass spying. They initially claimed dozens of cases but it was found tat there were no none, in a Congressional investigation. Snowden should be treated as a hero---efforts to harass him and prosecute him should be declared over and done with. Charges should not be brought against him, and he should return with hero status--he could improve our national security if he were working for us

I only had a chance to scan this article, but it does seem to detail out candidate's take on the issue...

http://www.truth-out.org/news/item/31688-assessing-the-candidates-obama-s-whistleblower-war-leaves-dangerous-legacy-for-future-presidents

Democratic presidential candidate and former Maryland Governor Martin O’Malley has called for more restrictions on NSA surveillance than was provided for in the recently passed USA Freedom Act, including as he said recently “having a role for a public advocate in the FISA court.” However, he made no mention of Snowden in his statement.

Okay from telling us something we don't know by revealing NSA surveillance to telling us something everyone knows that those two aren't serious and ridiculous. Duh!

Exactly! I have always told my husband (and children) to back up their words with ACTION! And the current terrorist-in-chief is an excellent; excellent I tell you; example of a politician -- they say anything to get elected with absolutely no intention of following thru on their LIES! My husband says Obama said to the adoring crowds the night he was elected "Yes we can!" But later in bed that night with Michelle: "But we're not going to." Yes it's true, I was a fly on the wall of their bedroom that night! wink
I watched the John Oliver clip above and found myself agreeing with your take on Alexander! We have officially fallen all the way down the rabbit hole and were welcomed there by Orwell, where up is down, and lies are truth. rage cold_sweat

Why would that be so bad? She would be there as a "prog" candidate for VP, just as Sanders is running as a "prog" candidate for Pres - and she could provide that same "forum for public discussion" as Sanders is supposedly providing, n'est pas?

Frankly i think anyone who runs as a Dem, has, to a greater or lesser extent, "sold out" ....

OK - I'll play - for those who haven't read the article, who said,

1) “If he [Snowden] wishes to return knowing he would be held accountable and also able to present a defense, that is his decision to make…"

2) “In my view, the interests of justice would be best served if our government granted him some form of clemency or a plea agreement that would spare him a long prison sentence or permanent exile ...."

3) “I think the only way he’s coming home is if someone would offer him a fair trial with a reasonable sentence. .... So I think personally he probably would come home for some penalty of a few years in prison ..."

And what is the real difference between those three, as compared to your quote of Stein's statement ..