Home | About | Donate

Nothing to See Here, Just Freedom

Nothing to See Here, Just Freedom

Charles P. Pierce

Speaking of things blowing up in Texas—the home of the unregulated fertilizer plant and other such sophisticated pre-explosive devices made possible by a business-friendly economic climate—over the weekend, a chemical plant outside of Fort Worth went up. From The Fort Worth Star-Telegram:

Let’s just cut to the chase: The profits of the chemical company are more important than the lives of their workers or the surrounding community.

That’s Texas and lots of other places in the USA. Workers are expendable collateral damage, and if they don’t like it, some workers in the developing world will.

As a former safety coordinator for major corp. I can say what you don’t know can kill you. We are in the habit of being blind consumers, a dangerous place to be. Knowing about where you live, work and play can save your life. Your kitchen and bathrooms are toxic waste dumps. What about where you work? Or where you and your family play?

Want to blame someone, call Deregulation Donald in Washington DC: 202-456-1111

Where do they get these people?

From inbreeding among the 1%. Calling them people is insulting to real people. They are merely life-forms without an iota of humanity, flesh with no soul, wallets with legs.

Could you please expand on the ‘waste dump’ assertion. I’m interested in what is ‘potential’, and what is ‘avoidable’ and other variables in a worst case regulatory scenario.

Reproducible bodies running on auto pilot dependant on deadly force 2nd tier investment in armed redoubts that require consumption of the human soul and imagination in order to remain upright and verbalizing the fact that they are breathing down a rut. Correction: breathing down the abyss

For the home kitchen and bath, sun light and circulating air, for cleaning, vinegar, plain steel wool and borax, if needed. Dishes, Dawn. For instance, Lysol spray is a great bug/fly killer. If the product says it kills this that and everything else that includes You. Worse case, mixing bleach and ammonia, it creates a toxic gas that kills instantly. Next time you are in the grocery store walk down the “cleaning isle” and smell the gases being pumped into the air. Everything has potential and is avoidable. If you need something to be really sterile to touch, spray it with alcohol and let it dry, bleach works almost as well.

Look, it’s very simple. Money and profits is more important than safety, human or environmental. Period. Full stop. Anyone who lives in America should realize that by now. They certainly do in Washington and in most state capitals.

Your lives are just not valuable compared to corporate profits. It’s called “capitalism,” and both wings of the corporate-owned Duopoly are fervent adherents.

Questions?

When this story was originally reported here on CD, I thought to myself that the site looked old, run-down, and neglected. I was able, through that photo and other reporting, to home in on the location of this site to be able to identify it looking at Google Earth. The images there are dated 1/28/2017, and to my complete surprise what it showed was that there was only a building pad there and signs of ongoing site development - no building or ancillary structures! So, whatever safety deficiencies existed in the plant, that facility was built sometime within the last 13 months. I am certain that I have correctly identified the location; the photo above is slightly different from the image in the first story, and in the above image the sided RR cars in the upper left portion of the image confirm this location.

Right on target, now lets take it up a notch. Take anyone of the combinations you talked about (for the rest of you, there are many more), and add fire to it, nightmare. There is a potential Haz-Mat situation in everyone’s home and garage. That doesn’t even include the PVC pipe, foam cushions, elect. wire sheathing, ect.

Chemical Companies aren’t just hiding products from the public, they hide info from 1st responders also. In the mid 1980’s Right to Know laws were passed to protect responders from these types of situations (they probably don’t even exist today). It didn’t take long before they were watered down. I went on a emergency call to a plant shortly after the law was passed, we rolled up and I asked the Plant Manager for all his MSDS (material data safety sheet) paperwork. I was denied because the company had at sometime in the past held a military contract, and they were exempt from providing the info.

Can we call him a murdering terrorist?

What a country we live in. Just about everything will kill you in some way - either fast or slowly.

TOXINS

in our cookware (cancer-causing non-stick chemicals) in our air (microwaves, radiation from our cell phones and computers) in our kitchens (microwaving changes the structure of our food, making it virtually worthless to eat, in the air from the pollution of gasoline and diesel-burning motors, in our vaccines (which they will have to hold me down to take), in the chemical soup we throw on our lawns in the ritual of spring planting which we have been brainwashed to accept so we can keep up with the Joneses and their pretty lawn, in the GMO-laced foods that are foisted upon us, in our tainted and sick water, in the pre-packaged crap they sell us and have the nerve to refer to it as “food.”

And the list goes on and on and on…

The Right To Know worked in the civilian world. Now what do we have? Nada, nothing. It truly is a shame people are not aware of the chemistry soup they are swimming in. How were you able to respond with MDSD sheets? Fool-hardy management. My ass would have been fried for that.

That call turned out to be minor, thankfully. The request for MSDS sheets for all products on site, was a informational starting point for us when we arrived on scene. Some plants we had good working relationships with and would pre-plan a response, and were given the product info at that time. They were more professional than others. You probably worked for this type of company. Also you have to understand this timeframe, was a starting point in Haz-Mat operations for our dept.

Empty suits, bereft of soul, or empathy, or compassion! I am more and more convinced that America’s #1 obstacle to progress consists mostly of the upper-middle-class white male, especially the Republican variety, and the rich who own them, body and soul!

With all due respect to the many fine people in Texas; politically speaking, it is absolutely a “shithole state”!

Yeah, the so-called “war on terror” and the invoking of “national security” allows government and corporations to hide many sins. They are much more dangerous to us than “terrorists”.

I was in NV. mid to late 80’s working for U-Haul. Because of Nevada’s laws I was personally responsible for 400 employee’s. Meaning I was liable if someone got hurt. It was hard work but I reduced their state industrial insurance by $7,000 a month. We were, as you say, on our toes, safety first :slight_smile: