Home | About | Donate

Notorious Insecticides Found in Half of Sampled Streams in US

Notorious Insecticides Found in Half of Sampled Streams in US

Andrea Germanos, staff writer

A class of insecticides linked to the decline of bees has more found in more than half of the streams in the United States where samples were taken, new research has found.

Researchers with the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) say it is the first national-scale study of the presence of neonicotinoids, or "neonics," in urban and agricultural land use settings across the nation.

Of course, they're in the water. Duh.

Rolling Stone had a sobering piece re bees and beekeeping yesterday. http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/what-is-killing-americas-bees-and-what-does-it-mean-for-us-20150818

This is NOT the way it has always been with beekeeping. And Obama's BS response is all about not rattling cages in the corporate world.

We have been keeping bees since the 70's and we are in the midst of apocalypse now in the bee world. And that means birds, bats, other pollinators and living things like the air, earth and water.

This is a closed system here folks and unless something is really done, we are going to see more and more ill health and death of every conceivable kind from pesticides. Including us.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

There are no more "wild" honey bee colonies, and very few swarms to capture/save, they are all extinct from the causes you know, including the chemical industry pushing their death poisons, and the politicians who cater to them, all without concern or soul....... A catastrophe is well under way and, as usual politicians will do little or nothing to save what soon will be destroyed, only work overtime to keep the sickness of "growth" and "development" going.

"As long as grass grow, wind blow, and the sky is blue"

"The Human Beings, my son, they believe everything is alive. Not only man and animals. But also water, earth, stone. - But the white man, they believe EVERYTHING is dead. Stone, earth, animals. And people! Even their own people! If things keep trying to live, white man will rub them out." - Old Lodge Skins

You got it Emphyrio. Western rationalism is so super-anthropomorphic that it has forgotten, even made illegal, the right, the universal NEED, for the clean air, water and land that sustain us all. We are where we are because wisdom became a sickness and madness became conventional knowledge.

The importance of refusing to be silent and continuing to communicate truth to ignorance can never be over emphasized. Let the right, the left, and whomever else wants to display their aversion to actual knowledge speak - every false word they utter explosively sows the seeds of change. Let's move outside the falsehoods of centrist politics. No apologies need be made when we refuse corruption constantly.

Insecticides are in full use round the world and their use seems unrestricted in Asia (easily 1/3 of the world's population). How many tons of this stuff ends up in the oceans and what happens to it?

You would think we'd have learned. Rachel Carson was lambasted for her work re DDT. Now here we are again. Two steps forward and ten back.

Fight we must. For the beauty we love.

We still find a few wild hives here in the middle of nowhere in Missouri. But not often. I consider it a blessing to see each and every wild thing.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

An excellent Rolling Stone article. I have wondered how it was possible that the pesticide industry writes its own safety studies, and here's the answer:

"In 1972, revisions to the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide and Rodenticide Act placed the responsibility on manufacturers to provide the safety data for the products they make, the idea being that American taxpayers should not cover the bill for tests done to products that financially benefit private companies. In practice, what this means is that the studies provided to the EPA when a product is up for approval are, by law, generated and submitted by the manufacturer of that product."

"over 1 billion tons of pesticides are used in the US every year. This is 22% of the estimated 5.2 billion pounds of pesticides used worldwide."

http://www.earthisland.org/journal/index.php/eij/article/the_spraying_of_america/
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2946087/

http://www.biologicaldiversity.org/publications/papers/bayareapesticidesreport.pdf

Ah the folly, the fox being designated as chief bottle washer at the hen house.

Here from Pesticide Action Network a bit more on the myths of pesticides and their so called regulation:

"Reality: Our regulatory system is not doing its job. More than 1 billion pounds of pesticides are applied every year on U.S. farms, forests, golf courses and lawns. Farmworkers and rural communities suffer illness throughout the spray season and beyond, and infants around the world are born with a mixture of pesticides and other chemicals in their bodies. “The prevailing regulatory approach in the United States is reactionary rather than precautionary,” concluded the President’s Cancer Panel in May 2010, “instead of requiring industry…to prove their safety, the public bears the burden of proving that a given environmental exposure is harmful.”

The cornerstone of pesticide regulation is a fundamentally flawed process of "risk assessment" that cannot begin to capture the realities of pesticide exposure and the health hazards they pose. EPA officials remain reliant on research data submitted by pesticide manufacturers, who do everything they can to drag out reviews of their products, often for decades. Lawsuits are pending to force the EPA to abide by the law and speed up review. A better, common sense precautionary approach to protecting us would assess alternatives to highly hazardous pesticides rather than accepting public exposure to pesticides as a necessary evil. Such a shift will require fundamental federal policy reform."

http://www.panna.org/science/myths

We need to pay serious attention to this issue and put pressure on our dear elected officials and anyone remotely connected to their manufacture, regulation and distribution. .

The two best communicators, right now, in my opinion, dealing with this pesticide scourge, (as well as others), i.e. gmos, are hip-hop artists, reggae dance bands and rockers like Neil Young, presently on tour with: "The Monsanto Years."

Approximately 4% of the world's population uses 25% of the world's resources and dumps 22% of the world's
pesticides into our environment.

THAT, is exceptional.

Obviously, neonics need to be banned --

But all of these chemicals can be traced back to corporations/chemical companies
and they should be held responsible for poisoning rivers/streams -- and people.

In fact, all of Nature -- BEES -- nature, of which we are part.

I'm sure Obama will jump right to that!

I hate mosquitoes. My wife is allergic to bee stings-very. But I do not need screen doors on my house. I used to need them.
Now there are no bees , no mosquitoes, no flies, no wasps[we used to have many of them], no bats in the evening and no song bird to speak of. Rachel Carson was right. The spring is silent.
WE ARE POISONING EVERYTHING. We will be sorry.
J. W. McGillivray MD. FRCSC. FACS.

There it is plain and simple...

The worldwide conspiracy of greed (the only conspiracy that I actually believes exists) is awesome in its power. It just doesn't care wherever profit exists. Chevron dumping oil wastes into the Amazon (how anti-life that was). Bhopal and Minimata. Neonic's destroy our sustainability and do we stop using them? Not for profit's sake we don't.

Scary that, isn't it Doc? It kills the bees and it does what to us exactly? To pregnant women and infants. Neonic's are now being found in aquatic animals. There is a casual lack of concern for life in our worship of the profit motive. Everything... everybody... every infant is a potential sacrifice on that ancient pagan altar.

We are already sorry Doc. We are trying to change things. We are trying to come out from under that oligarchy boot upon our necks. Sounds too revolutionary or some crap like that, doesn't it? Those definitions are old. Oligarchy rules us and we suffer the consequences. We are poisoning everything! You say? Yeah they are.

I'm hoping, as are a rising number of Americans, that Bernie will be elected and ordinary people will matter once again instead of only profits mattering at whatever the cost to the world and humanity.

I'm hoping.

Tell people what you feel about what is happening. They need to hear it from educated people that they trust.