Home | About | Donate

'Now I Am Speaking to the Whole World': How Teen Climate Activist Greta Thunberg Got Everyone to Listen

'Now I Am Speaking to the Whole World': How Teen Climate Activist Greta Thunberg Got Everyone to Listen

Suyin Haynes

“Can you hear me?” Greta Thunberg asks the 150 members and advisers in the U.K. Houses of Parliament. She taps the microphone as if to check if it’s on, but the gesture is meant as a rebuke; she’s asking if they’re listening. She asks again later in her speech. “Did you hear what I just said? Is my English O.K.? Is my microphone on? Because I’m beginning to wonder.” There is laughter, but it’s unclear if it’s amused or awkward. Thunberg is not smiling.

1 Like

Another young heroine! The young are awakening faster and faster. May the trend only grow exponentially!

I wanna be like her when I grow up.

2 Likes

We need Greta Thunberg statues all over the world. The statues would be made of recycled item that won’t pollute. We would have one joining east to west and west to east---- and north to south and south to north---- so that all Earthlings have a connection. Maybe it’s time the world worked together, as we are all Earthlings after all, and this planet is the only one we’ve got. Plus it’s nice to remind the world that the CHILDREN are the future and we’d better start on helping them on that now!

3 Likes

Suyin Haynes thank you for your article on this wonderful young woman. An outstanding 16 year with the drive to make waves for necessary change in world plans, did she really make the cover of TIME in the green dress that sort of reminds one of the leaves of a palm tree. What a great picture, a very young looking 16 year old with the appearance of towering self assurance.

Bravo Greta!