Home | About | Donate

Now Is The Time For Prophetic Moral Action

Now Is The Time For Prophetic Moral Action

Rev. Dr. William J. Barber II

On Thursday, July 13th, Senate Leader Mitch McConnell unveiled the latest version of his last ditch effort to repeal and replace Obamacare, whatever the cost. In obedience to Jeremiah 22, which says that God’s messengers must go to the seat of power and challenge the abuse of power, I led a delegation of clergy to make a prophetic and pastoral visit to McConnell’s office on Thursday morning. We brought copies of the Bible and pointed to those verses which make clear our obligation to both care for the sick and establish justice for the poor.

Does this mean you can be arrested for telling the truth to power?

It almost certainly does, but righteousness will ultimately prevail. I am heartened here in Scotland to know that there are courageous Christians in the USA, as opposed to the terrified evangelical right, who know the Word of God and who are willing to accept the prophetic mantle and challenge the great evil that is threatening to overwhelm their country. All thinking and faithful Christians around athe world should pray for them on Tuesday.

Well thank you for your kind words from Scotland. Maybe say a word of two for McConnell he is in a very tough situation. Again, thank you.

McConnell is in "a very tough situation"!!?? ARE YOU KIDDING? He is a morally
bankrupt;, corrupt, nasty sociopath.

The Reverend Barber is a moral giant. I do hope that other men/women "of the cloth"
rise up and join him. McConnell ought to be horsewhipped for having Barber et.al.
removed by police. THE OUTRAGE!

"Be in the world but not of the world"Rev Barber you are a crack of light in a dark age.

A very inspiring piece. Thank you Rev. Dr. Barber, I cannot be there bodily, but will be in spirit!

Yep, I would call that a tough situation wouldn't you. Can you imagine having the fate of at least 22 million people that need healthcare.on one side and Trump on the other.

There are a bunch of them joining Dr. Barber in body and in spirit. The Presbyterian Church (USA) maintains an "Office of Public Witness" in DC, the director of which (current and past, now the top legal officer of the denomination) has been arrested regularly and publishes prophetic statements. I believe the United Methodist Church also has a DC office, and so do other denominations. And we don't leave it all to the leaders. Both denominational and parachurch organizations work year in and year out for social justice on many fronts.

That is not in any way to diminish my admiration for Dr. Barber. Leaders cannot create change without help, but America seems to demand a single, living human voice it can identify as the prophet. I don't think God minds that Dr. Barber takes that role.

BEAUTIFUL

"This pig's lipstick is being applied with a trowel..."--[Republican
so-called healthcare bill]--Eugene Robinson/June 23, 2017

"The health insurance industry, for the most part, is the Mob painted over
with a veneer of legitimacy."--William Rivers Pitt/June 22, 2017

The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in
moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification
for selfishness.
----John Kenneth Galbraith

Bernie Madoff's mistake was stealing from the rich. If he'd stolen from
the poor, he'd have a cabinet position.
-----OPOL, quoted on AlterNet

Mr. Mueller, please hurry.

So the next time a Republican proposes a bill to punish a woman whose fetus dies, could a Democrat please propose an amendment to punish a lawmaker that made it impossible for her to obtain insurance/maternity care that would have prevented the death?