Home | About | Donate

Now Is the Time for Single-Payer Healthcare in California

Now Is the Time for Single-Payer Healthcare in California

Jessie Lorenz

In the wake of the failed effort to repeal Obamacare, there’s a groundswell of support rising to bring the dream of single-payer health care to California.

Senators Ricardo Lara, D-Bell Gardens, and Toni Atkins, D-San Diego, have introduced Senate Bill 562, the Healthy California Act. SB 562 would make single-payer health care available to all Californians regardless of income or immigration status by providing essential services under Medi-Cal.

As much as I have never been a fan of the Clintons, from the perspective of single payer originating in DC, Hillary Clinton was 100% correct when she said the US will never have single payer.

Single payer will only succeed if it starts in one state and spreads.

Although a handful of other states like Oregon may have the political will, only California has the will AND the economic wherewithal to actually pull it off.

All those big profitable corporations in California that are required to provide medical insurance for employees by the ACA will find single payer costs them less than they currently spend to conform to ACA, resulting in other states rapidly adopting single payer.

Never rooted harder for my comrades in California.

Go California!

Jerry Brown is really starting to piss me off.