Home | About | Donate

Now That's How You Hold a Bible: Pope Francis Encourages Fossil Fuel Divestment to Serve Common Good of People and Planet

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/06/18/now-thats-how-you-hold-bible-pope-francis-encourages-fossil-fuel-divestment-serve

2 Likes

Now if only he would rebuke fascist Catholics such as Mike Barr, John Roberts, and Brett Kavanaugh for their authoritarian views and support of the despicable Orange Idiot Child-man psychopath.

And I wonder if “good Catholic” multi-millionaire Nancy Pelosi will now divest from all her fossil fuel stocks.

4 Likes

The Northeast in the US was just in the middle of a pandemic last month and we needed IN-vestment! We needed (and still need) more N-95 masks and testing swabs. We needed fast, practical R&D to develop a testing protocol that worked in 15 minutes not 7 days. We needed investment in more contact tracers to hunt down all remaining known instances of the virus. So far it has worked!

Guess what we need for the climate catastrophe? That’s right, we need IN-vestment right now! We already know how to turn a wrench to shut off a house’s natural gas pipe, but we haven’t really researched how to store the sun’s concentrated heat in rocks or in another medium to heat the house after sunset. I could tell you a few things, but we need to standardize everything and fast.

2 Likes

Best Pope.
But whatever fixes, they can’t keep up with entropic population growth.
The Bible’s “ go forth and multiply” could have something to do with it.

4 Likes

And how much did the Vatican make off its fossil fuel investments before “finding religion” (or a smarter PR strategy)?

3 Likes

I’m grateful for the follow-up to Laudato Si. I think it will have an impact. Of course there are hypocrites in any religious (or non-religious) organization, but likely the majority of human beings of whatever persuasion are at least relatively sincere.

Whether or not you agree with the particular religious connection, the pope is a powerful voice representing a large body of the human population and thus his support of fossil fuel divestment is a big deal.

1 Like

You got that right. Not to mention priests “fiddling” with young boys.

1 Like

They all hold bibles or old books up,they have been doing this for millennia. They use them to justify their righteousness.They believe God actually Wants and Needs something.
Why would the universe want anything to occur that is not already occurring ?

Right and wrong are human constructs, we should be focusing on What Works , it’s a question of functionality not hocus pocus morality.

The problem is in the interpretation of these old books .Challenge them ,challenge the people that use and quote them.
Transcend them…

5 Likes

I think that was the original idea, learn from them not worship them. Good points.

1 Like

Translated into contemporary English, “go forth and multiply” simply means “fck off”.
Seriously, can you remind me of the world population when that was written? There was room for far more. And there’s still room for more today. Population is not an issue. Inequality is.
I assume you’re a Yank. What is your environmental impact compared with that of a Kenyan?

Finally the Cathlic church is using its muscle for a REAL cause. It took a non-italian pope to make this bold move.

Its possible to make a COVID-19 sensor using electronics (a specially made field effect transistor) that takes around 2 minutes per test, doesn’t require a fancy lab, chemicals or setup. It’s an electronic sensor with all that implies, reusable, etc.

I don’t know why we are not seeing them in use.

I hope this helps:

(h)ttps://overpopulation-project.com/

Oh my God (pun intended) what a stab in the heart to the loyal Christians of greed. Do they continue to embarrass themselves further with their hypocrisy or start to recognize some truths?

1 Like

… “On the Journey for Care of the Common Home” calls on church followers to recognize climate action as a duty of the faithful and urge people throughout the world to treat Earth “like a sister with whom we share our life and a beautiful mother who opens her arms to embrace us.” [The Pope always forgets the animals, it’s their planet, too, but they don’t count morally because they’re not mini-me images of God.]

HYPOCRITE!

**A form of “dominion” doctrine has long been shared by the traditional Roman Catholic hierarchy. On Earth Day 1990, New York’s Cardinal John O’Connor admonished his flock to remember that “the earth exists for the human person and not vice-versa.” [“What’s the difference between God granting [man] dominion over every living thing and the U.S. military seeking full-spectrum dominance?”—Derrick Jensen]

In 1993 Pope John Paul denounced Catholic feminists in terms eerily reminiscent of the Inquisition. In a story headlined JOHN PAUL CRITICIZES ‘MOTHER EARTH’ RITUALS, the New York Times reported that “senior cardinals have expressed concern about worship of such concepts as the earth goddess by some feminist American Catholics, saying the practice creates an unacceptable blend of Catholicism with animist faith [and] such worship veers toward witchcraft.” Two years later Pope John Paul opposed the democratic election of an ex-Communist in Poland on grounds that he represented a “neo-pagan” philosophy. To be fair, the Pope now decries the “culture of domination” toward the environment. What is missing is a realization of how the Christian tradition has fostered this culture of domination and condemned nature mysticism as sinful or subversive.**

James Cameron’s new eco-themed movie, AVATAR, is wowed moviegoers with 3-D CGI magic, but the film hasn’t won any converts in the Vatican. L’Osservatore Romano, the official newspaper of the holy city, and Vatican Radio call the movie “bland” and say it “ends up falling into sappiness.” The Vatican’s criticism seems based, in part, on the movie’s portrayal of a nature-based religion. According the Huffington Post, L’Osservatore Romano said that Avatar “gets bogged down by a spiritualism linked to the worship of nature.”

A Vatican spokesman said the criticism reflected Pope Benedict XVI’s view that environmentalists should be careful to avoid “neo-paganism.” While the so-called green pope has declared environmental offenses a sin, he has also warned against “considering [nature] more important than the human person,” reports the Huffington Post. [He was concerned about the threat to the “good old boys club” of human exceptionalism.]

The Vatican newspaper L’Osservatore Romano devoted three articles to Avatar, and said that the movie “gets bogged down by a spiritualism linked to the worship of nature.”

Vatican Radio also attacked the movie, saying that it encouraged “all those pseudo-doctrines that turn ecology into the religion of the millennium.” It claimed that in the film, “nature is no longer a creation to defend but a divinity to worship.” In his New Year’s Day message for World Peace, Pope Benedict criticized the tendency to consider Nature as more important than the human person, and the “egalitarian vision of the “dignity” of all living creatures.” “Such notions," the Pope boasted, "… end up abolishing the distinctiveness and superior role of human beings. They also open the way to a new pantheism tinged with neo-paganism, which would see the source of man’s salvation in nature alone, understood in purely naturalistic terms.” [These guys really are hostile to any movement that threatens their dogmatic doctrine of human exceptionalism.]

1 Like