Home | About | Donate

NSA to Destroy Phone Records, But 'Devil May Be in the Details'

NSA to Destroy Phone Records, But 'Devil May Be in the Details'

Nadia Prupis, staff writer

The National Security Agency (NSA) will destroy all the metadata it swept up from U.S. citizens while operating a secretive surveillance program first exposed in 2013 by whistleblower Edward Snowden, the Office of the Director of National Intelligence (ODNI) announced on Monday.

That amounts to five years of phone records, which the ODNI said would be expunged "as soon as possible"—though it seems that will not be before the program's official November 29 expiration date.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Add my vote to maxbeaverbrook comment... why would we believe that information will truly be expunged? Maybe it will be overtly expunged but covertly retained elsewhere? Maybe most of it will be expunged (grandma's quiting bee's gone wild conversations and such) but certain individuals and groups and those affiliated and contacted will be retained or the information transferred to another storage system. Will pertinent information that has been shared with interpol or other allied intel services be included or excepted?

Nevertheless that risque conversation that grandma had with aunt bea about the pool boy's buns will be safe. The rest of us ...I'm not too sure about.

Well, I think this is a bunch of bs first. Second, the data should not be destroyed. After East Germany, records were kept so the citizens that were spied on were allowed to see what was being kept on them. That is exactly what should happen. Instead of going to see the records, they should be emailed to us or something, but either way, EVERYONE SHOULD KNOW IF THEY WERE SPIED ON.