Home | About | Donate

Nuclear IQ, Presidential Debates, and Our Future

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/06/28/nuclear-iq-presidential-debates-and-our-future

I’ll add another:

1. Are you aware of the cognitive dissonance that is required to work in the nuclear industry?* Yes = 1 pt, No = 0 pt

*“It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.”
*–From Upton Sinclair’s (1935) I, Candidate for Governor: And How I Got Licked

2 Likes

The “test” is flawed IMO. Question #2 gives a point if you think “all options are on the table”, including nuclear weapons.
I want my leaders to score a 5 on this test, not six.

1 Like

Hah, I missed that, but clearly he get the pt value for yes and no on that question mixed up.

On this question:

Do you feel there is a safe or acceptable level of radiation exposure? Yes = 0 pt, No = 1 pt

Please tell me that @Trog and I aren’t the only one to answer yes to this question. There must be an acceptable level of radiation because if we never had any technology at all, we are exposed to radiation all the time in all corners of the earth. The correct question would be too complicated (giving actual levels of radiation in the different categories and whether the current limits are adequate) to form on this simple survey so he should have just left it off. I score a 5 (assuming Q2 is fixed). Nuclear weapons suck.

You are very astute and quite correct. This was an error in editing and the correct answer for “…all options on the table” is: Yes = 0 and No = 1.