Home | About | Donate

Nuclear Threat Escalating Beyond Political Rhetoric

Nuclear Threat Escalating Beyond Political Rhetoric

Thalif Deen, IPS News

As a new cold war between the United States and Russia picks up steam, the nuclear threat is in danger of escalating – perhaps far beyond political rhetoric.

Randy Riddel, a former senior political affairs officer with the U.N. Office for Disarmament Affairs (UNODA) told IPS he pities the general public.

"Meanwhile, the signs are ominous: the negotiations to prevent Iran going nuclear are still deadlocked."

OMG! The negotiations to stop Iran from proceeding with its NON-EXISTENT NUCLEAR WEAPONS PROGRAM are deadlocked!

We might be forced to continue sanctions or even attack in self-defense.

We don't want the smoking gun to be a mushroom cloud!

Are the Wall Street banks so insanely greedy as to resort to nuclear war to prevent the development of BRICS?

Stupid question. If they are not concerned about spreading poison all over the planet and destroying mankind's capacity to feed itself then they certainly are not going to mind irradiating the world's population.

mcp

Yes...stupid question!

And to top things off, our Luciferian war mongering Congress. Approved a US House Resolution to send lethal arms to Ukraine and also calls for a long-term strategy for the overthrow of Vladimir Putin.
The resolution was approved by 348 yes votes and 48 no votes. For some reason CD doesn't seem interested in reporting this important story.

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article41349.htm

The empire of the United States is fueled by the most unintelligent cabal of nit wits in the history of man. American capitalism is the unmitigated driving force behind the shredding of global sovereignty. The founding elite purposely crafted a Constitution designed to prevent centralized political power, sadly, separation of powers no longer exists.

Our country is in the grip of despicable men absent moral or ethical character. So-called "lawmakers", at every political level, exhibit their contempt for the citizens of this once promising republic. Their bullshit hyperbole of terrorist this and terrorist that no longer hides their hedonistic zeal for more money and power.

In spite of our Constitutional Republic they continue their illegal, traitorous conduct as they institute a "new world order". These seditious minions disregard Constitutional Law and impose laws in complete contradiction of the "will of the people." The nation is in disarray as rank propaganda from a mass media, as corrupt as Congress itself, that leaves the general public without leadership - a consequence of the institution of mass, illegal surveillance.

Since the 2002 coup d'etate, questionable events of September 11, 2001 and the loss of electoral legitimacy Americans are beginning to understand they are now powerless to influence government. Government that was once beholding to citizens is now one that consistently results in complete disregard of the "General welfare". No longer do these greedy, lying, son's 'o bitches fear the wrath of the American electorate. The character of a once representative government is now impervious to change. What exists now are semi-literate political operatives kissing the derrières of corporations posing a threat to humanity itself.

The world now exists in a period in which there is no comparison in the past.

I think Commondream commentators would save a lot of time for themselves, and electricity from using their computers, if they would just post one comment that says, "Everything is the fault of the United States and corporations, always."

Nevermind their own personal use of computers and other consumer goods. Nevermind their own breeding habits that bring more people onto the planet to use up resources.

No, it's always, always always the fault of the U. S.

Because thinking is hard.

Obama is a CIA neocon bankster plant. He just proved it again by having his injustice department protect neocons in court. He should be turned into space garbage.

"Obama Justice Department and a meek and frightened Obama-appointed federal judge, Edgardo Ramos, all in order to protect an extremist neocon front group from scrutiny and accountability"

"United Against Nuclear Iran" (UANI), which is very likely a front for some combination of the Israeli and U.S. intelligence services. When launched, NBC described its mission as waging "economic and psychological warfare" against Iran. The group was founded and is run and guided by a roster of U.S., Israeli and British neocon extremists such as Joe Lieberman, former Bush Homeland Security adviser (and current CNN "analyst") Fran Townsend, former CIA Director James Woolsey, and former Mossad Director Meir Dagan. One of its key advisers is Olli
Heinonen

You state this, but then go on to make ridiculously broad conclusions about the American people (actively) embracing fascism. Fascism is not a choice; by its nature, it's imposed through force, collusion with courts, inverted laws, often fiscal scarcity forcing people to do what they can to put bread on the table, and propaganda.

Suddenly I see posters stating what I have said here for years: that the Will Of The People has been entirely abridged. Yet having said this very thing, they revert back to that same subliminal (is it?) Blame The People messaging.

Although I've subconsciously been aware of the current situation, it's chilling to see it assessed so well in your comment, in a few paragraphs. Your last sentence most chilling of all.

If we cannot learn from the past, because nothing compares, or even rhymes very well, we the people will have to learn to...what do they say in show biz... "Wing it?" In order to do that someone or some group with new ideas will have to emerge, and become strong enough and creative enough to fire imaginations and get blood running through millions of veins again.

Will that happen though? It won't happen soon, but maybe one day....that's the best we can hope for, far as I can tell.

A machine for the mass extermination of millions of ordinary people who, for the most part, don't even like their Congress that much, is a sin. It's an abomination where any pun in that word "abomination" is unintentional.

I'm sorry that Congress is running out of its ability to borrow any more money, just as I'm sorry that Mr Putin is running out of his ability to borrow any more money. However, their collective fear of debt collectors isn't an acceptable reason to threaten all of the rest of us with mass extermination.

Very good summary of the history of the American "dream".
I agree that every citizen is ultimately responsible for their own actions which includes whether they pursue this "dream" or find other paths that are less hedonistic and selfish. However, it is important to recognize the very strong cultural conditioning that generation after generation of Americans have experienced. It is essential to recognize that the real problem lies in the conditioning (i.e. the propaganda in the media, educational and cultural institutions, and government) that Americans experience starting at birth. It is the ignorance and self-cherishing attitudes that are inculcated by this conditioning that are the real enemies. I see no other way of transforming this American "dream" into something more positive and beneficent.

Wait just a minute you Liberal Dirty Dog!

Iran Uses the Sun don't they? Isn't that nuclear?????? See? Iran has Nuke sunshine!

Invade I Say!
INvaDe!!!

and Nuke, Nuke, Nuke, Nuke, Nuke.... Fox, Fox, Nuke, Nuke....

(ever see the movie "1942"?
"Where Paranoia meats Pandemonium"
everyone is seeing a Jap under their bed. Funny as hell. Reminds me of my fellow citizens today seeing "terrists" everywhere.)

What? Testy because your issue of Cat Fancy hasn't arrived yet?

Here's what's really funny: The Saudi's just told us they won't rule out getting a bomb and, supposedly, financed Pakistani nuclear weapons development so they could get one quickly.

Boy are they gonna be shocked when Obama and Congress impose sanctions on them!

"Saudi Arabia will not rule out building nuclear weapons to defend itself against Iran, its ambassador to the United States has said.
Adel Al-Jubeir told CNN the 'kingdom of Saudi Arabia will take whatever measures are necessary to protect its security'.
Iranian officials are due to meet with world leaders to negotiate a relief in sanctions against the country in return for Tehran curbing its nuclear programme.
But Al-Jubeir claimed that other countries in the Middle East are 'concerned' about the prospect of Iran developing nuclear weapons." March 27, 2015

Nothing you describe is unique to Americans. You are describing rather, just human nature found in Empires of the past as well as today all over the world.

You claim that the common American is to blame by the evidence that he voted these people in, when in reality, the truth is that the last mid-term elections barely had 37 percent participation among eligible voters and no voter can get a non-vetted person printed on the ballot without an act of god. In fact Obama is now talking about making voting for bad candidates mandatory under penalty of fines or jail.

Does this sound like a free society to you where citizens can protest anything? Lorded over by Billionaires backed up with layers of goon squads? After Occupy Wall Street and Ferguson do you think any "Good Germans" are going to risk their necks hanging around protesting?

Americans may be under duress more than you know. The fact that 93 million are unemployed over the age of 16 tells you the prospects of young people today. There aren't any.

Do I blame them? Do I blame the victims of a militarized police state? It's nice that you are unplugged from the Matrix, but most people are not, even though they know something is horribly wrong. I agree with your indictments of a materialistic society, but this could apply equally to the British Empire, The Spanish Empire, The Greeks.... excessive consumption or debt slavery was hardly invented in the USA.

Hi Tom,
* Reading this string reminds me of what H.L.Mencken wrote, so long ago.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The larger the mob, the harder the test. In small areas, before small electorates, a first-rate man occasionally fights his way through, carrying even the mob with him by force of his personality. But when the field is nationwide, and the fight must be waged chiefly at second and third hand, and the force of personality cannot so readily make itself felt, then all the odds are on the man who is, intrinsically, the most devious and mediocre — the man who can most easily adeptly disperse the notion that his mind is a virtual vacuum.

"The Presidency tends, year by year, to go to such men. As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."

H. L. Mencken on elections
	Baltimore Evening Sun, 26 July 1920

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Almost every election, I figure we have finally reached rock bottom, but there always seems to be someone worse crawling out from under the next rock.
If the people finally wake up, will they do it in time?
;-})

I don't know the answer Steve,

It appears the entire Pacific is croaking, so we should have put our foot down in the 1950's and prevented the Nuke Dragon from jumping on top of us. But the propaganda about the Magic Atom was just too seductive and since China has bent to Westinghouse and is building 100 of them, I'm afraid the Earth Doomsday Clock is going to move all the way to Midnight.

Click here to have a look at how bad it's getting

This problem with nuclear weapons and proliferation is connected to the American policy of full spectrum dominance. Without that very hubristic policy, there would not be the mad scramble to increase nuclear weapon inventory worldwide. The US not only turned a blind eye, but it is widely believed to have assisted Israel to get nuclear weapons. This destabilized the Middle East and made it a clandestine goal of Arab countries to counter that Israeli power play. Today's nuclear problem is very much a foolish creation of the Western powers. They originally had the key to Pandora's nuclear box and they opened it. Too bad, so sad but much too late to do anything about it now.

Most polities, especially large ones, seem chronically misgoverned,arguably reflecting at a collective level all the mental and emotional problems that we humans are so often plagued with at the individual level.
Religions, philosophies, science, and psycho-spiritual systems of insight and healing, etc. -- none have ever seemed anywhere near able to bring lasting harmony to humans en mass.
I'm not arguing for us humans giving up on ourselves, mind you; but in pondering the tragicomic cynicism of an honest and meta- deep thinker like Schopenhauer, it becomes easier to see why there has been a dire need for something like beer, at least since the Egyptian middle kingdom.

Thank you... I"m still giggling... I was reading oh so seriously... then wham... you are great... cause along with the joke, was some serious mulling... I really get what you were saying.. .about not giving up on us humans.. but.. .this is pretty much along the lines of how I think... like seem "chronically misgoverned,arguably reflecting at a collective level all the mental and emotional problems that we humans are so often plagued with at the individual level." This seems to be the case doesn't it...