Home | About | Donate

Nuclear War or Invasion: The False Dichotomy of Hiroshima and Nagasaki

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/08/05/nuclear-war-or-invasion-false-dichotomy-hiroshima-and-nagasaki

Bravo. One of the Few American writers who has come out and stated these facts unequivocally.

It WAS The Russian destruction of the Manchurian army that led to the Japanese surrender. The mere fact they did not surrender after Tokyo and a number of other cities had already been wiped out is proof of that.

See this report on Walter Trohan who revealed a Japanese offer to surrender 7 months prior to the dropping of these bombs with the only proviso being the Emperor would not face war crime charges.

~http://www.ihr.org/jhr/v06/v06p508_Hoffman.html

Trohan’s article revealed that two days prior to Roosevelt’s departure for Yalta, the president received a crucial, forty page memorandum from General Douglas MacArthur outlining five separate surrender overtures from highly placed Jap officials offering surrender terms which were virtually identical to the ones eventually dictated by the Allies to the Japanese in August.

This surrender offer was made before Iwo Jima and Okinawa invaded.

3 Likes

History is written, and erased, by the victors

2 Likes

What stands out, for me anyway, is the near unanamous verdict of the generals mentioned as to the absolute unnecessity of dropping the bombs. It was the racist( even for the times) Truman’s murderous decision all the way(I’ve read a few sources that indicate that Roosevelt would have likely done same). Funny how civilians can be so much more bloodthirsty and callous for life than military men.

2 Likes

The one civilian who most likely wouldn’t have dropped the bombs, Henry Wallace. FDR’s VP, who was removed from the ticket by dem insiders at the convention before FDR’s last election. He was replaced by Truman, who is responsible for the bombings and giving us the CIA.

1 Like

This is Utter BS.
The Japanese Had Prepared For Guerilla Warfare and had THOUSANDS Of Caves Stocked With Ammunition and Water And Food and Supplies.
They Had Taught The Women, children and elderly how to KILL The Americans Who Were Coming In The Invasion.
This is No Joke Or Fantasy.
The Japanese were NEVER SEEKING TO SURRENDER…with or Without Honor.
Their EMPIRE Was Not Going To Surrender.
Oh…They May Have Sought An Armistice…a Cessation Of War…But they were NEVER GOING TO SURRENDER!
They Felt They Were SUPERIOR To The Allied Forces And Would Simply Seek To End Hostilities!
But The Japanese Held FAST to Their Belief That Their Divine Emperor Hirohito…Would STOP THE ALLIES…And They Would Somehow Prevail.

I realize it has become fashionable to find fault with America regarding EVERYTHING in our past…but this article is Nonsense.
The Japanese WERE WARNED…Days Ahead Of The FIRST Bomb. They Simply REFUSED TO SURRENDER!
Then…Hiroshima happened.
They Japanese STILL REFUSED To Surrender.
3 days late…Nagasaki happened.
UNCONDITIONAL SURRENDER OCCURRED IMMEDIATELY!

It is IMPORTANT…To Tell The TRUE FACTS…Not Just What we think.

Japan NEEDED To Be Beaten.
They REFUSED…And The Rest…Is HISTORY!

Japan Is Responsible For The Dropping Of The Atomic Bombs…and The Deaths Of 200000 of it’s people.

So all the American generals cited in the article who said it wasn’t necessary were full it . Gee, the things one learns from ‘armchair warriors’ on the internet is just fascinating.

Absolute rubbish. The Russians destroyed a 750000 man Japanese army in Manchuria, all of them dug in at the cost of 12000 dead. Is it your claim that Japanese Soldiers would be less able to kill an enemy then women and children?

Were those women and children going to throw water bottles at tanks and airplanes and US marines?

You have no clue.

The USA dropped the Atomic bombs. Not Japan. Get your facts straight. The fucking Nazis in Germany used your same language when they blamed the Jews and Gypsies that they sent to those death camps for their fates. You are sick in the head. You would have been right at home riding in Chivingtons Cavalry when they slaughtered women and children at Sand Creek.

He used the same BS excuses you use just like any other mass murderer.

1 Like

Yeah, “little things” sometimes mean a lot. Much of history could have taken a different tack(I’d wager mostly for the better). Interestingly, back then the VP wasn’t an auto pick by the presidential nominee, he had to be voted in at the convention as well. Given the potential importance of the VP, that process should never have been changed.

2 Likes

AUGUST 15, 1945 and the world war was finally over! Six years of battle and slaughter had finally ended and the world could once again look forward to living at peace. Unfortunately, the nuclear dragon had been unleashed on a nation that was actually trying to surrender. History is being rewritten daily to show that isn’t so, but the old records remain, here and there.
Non-the-less, the war was over and the world rejoiced, then began in on the cold war and the many other “little” wars that have gone on to the present, squandering lives and resources, to feed the vanity and desires of various self styled leaders and politicians and enrich the arms manufacturers.

VJ Day plus 60
by
Steve Osborn

15 August, 1945 and the world went wild!
The insanity that had begun in 1939 was over.
Imperial Japan had surrendered, its one wish granted.
Few knew it had been trying to surrender for months,
Asking only to keep its Emperor, but no one would listen.
Except a small group who wondered why.

We had a lesson to teach, to Japan and the world at large.
16 July, 1945, in the American desert, Trinity was detonated.
Far more powerful than expected, the superweapon worked!
Horrified, many scientists said, “It must never be used.”
The war department said, “Just what we need.”
Intelligence said, “They’re trying to surrender.”

“Bomb an offshore deserted island,” the scientists said.
“Maybe it won’t go off,” the military said, “we’d look foolish.”
“Destroying a city without warning is barbaric,” said the diplomats.
“They really want to surrender,” said intelligence.
“We’ll call the city a military target,” said Truman,
“The Russians will get a big surprise.”

6 August 1945, an elderly gardener looked up from his spade
Admiring the silver plane flying far above.
His shadow remains etched in the concrete wall behind him.
Schoolchildren, housewives, tradesmen
Blown to rags of flesh or vaporized, the lucky ones.
Thousands of others doomed to slow death and disease.

“They keep asking for someone to take their surrender,” said intelligence,
“Can’t we at least talk to them?”
“They have to be taught a lesson and the world must see our power,”
Said the military,”Besides, we have to test the second bomb.”
And so the wheels were set in motion for the second demonstration
Of Hell on earth.

9 August 1945, above the city of Kokura, the Gods of Chance roll the dice.
A hundred thousand or more go about their business,
Unsuspecting of the doom flying above the thick cloud cover.
In Nagasaki, the people enjoyed the sunshine as the cloud cover broke.
“Secondary target is clear,” and their world suddenly ended in fire and shock
And radiation sleeting through their bodies.

“Now let them surrender,” said the military, “The test is completed.”
Two cities vaporized, two hundred thousand dead,
Survivors to suffer, some for days, some for decades,
And the nuclear arms race begun.
“By golly, we sure showed them!”
“We’ll let them keep their Emperor.”

15 August, 1945 and the world went wild!
The end of the war and of war itself!
There was dancing in the streets and love in the parks,
The blackouts ended in the streets and the homes.
Japan and Germany licked their wounds,
In Washington and the Kremlin, midnight oil was burning.

15 August 2005, nations have risen and fallen;
War and genocide again ravage the world.
Treaties made by thoughtful men have been discarded
In the name of profit and greed; nuclear horror again hovers
Over a world exhausted by war, famine and disease.
Only the aging survivors remember the bloody lesson, taught so long ago.

Steve Osborn
15 August 2005

The two bombs used were rated at 16 and 20 kilotons (A kiloton equals a thousand tons of TNT) and destroyed two cities. I am a nuclear veteran who endured seven H-Bombs at Bikini in 1956. Those bombs were rated in megatons (Millions of tons of TNT) Compared to those bombs, fat man and little boy at Hiroshima and Nagasaki were mere firecrackers. Castle Bravo at Bikini in 1954 was 18+ megatons. The Russian Tsar Bomb was 50 megatons and Russia quickly decided never to build such a powerful bomb again. But, the arms race went on.

I was eighteen years old at the Redwing tests. The horror I felt as my hair began to come out in clumps at the touch of a comb or brush, my teeth and gums bled, my guts were a misery and I had no energy. When I finally began to heal, I offered many prayers of thanks, but I still thought I’d never see twenty-one. I was spared. Thousands of us were not. I’m in my eighties, now, and the only reason I can figure out for my longevity is, to be a living witness to this insanity. There are still a number of us alive who were at the various tests of nuclear weapons. I’ve never met one who has experienced an H-Bomb who doesn’t think that all of them should be dismantled, along with their delivery systems and buried thousands of feet deep.
Steve Osborn
;-})

3 Likes

History is, indeed, written by the victors. And also by the Wealthy.
Before I broke the Matrix, I had been taught, as millions of other children in the 50’s, that the atomic bomb was a lifesaver, that my parents and fellow citizens of the small town I lived in were grateful so many lives were spared. All of them had family members in the military.
But then, in the early 60’s, I read John Hershey’s Hiroshima. And the first crack appeared in the Matrix. These were people, just like me. The weren’t filthy savages. They had a culture thousands of years old. I kept reading, became involved in the various movements, and realized we had killed or wounded millions of innocent lives. I’ve never been the same.
Today, 75 years later, almost as old as I am, The US of Abuse, the monster that tried to exterminate or eternally enslave two different races, turned its blood thirsty attention to a third race, also with an ancient culture. And unchained the gates of hell.
I cut my hair today. I cut a small slit in my forearms in atonement and grief. It’s not self-harm; it is an ancient way to show grief. I cannot bring back all those lives. But I will continue to resist the forces that still want to use this most dreadful of weapons. Regular weapons are horrific enough…
If there is a hell beyond the Veil, I hope Truman and his cohorts are imprisoned there.

3 Likes

Thank you, Sekhmet’s Daughter for giving me a heart, and for your beautiful and thoughtful comment that followed. I was born before WW-II and grew up during the war. Being somewhat technically minded, I started studying what little information was available about “A-Bombs” and a Naval friend of the family gave me his books on Operation Crossroads, at Bikini. When some of the ships that survived were brought to the Bremerton Naval Yard for study, he got permission for us to see them at the docks. We had to stay at a distance from the ships due to radiation signs. I won’t describe them here, but they were really torn up. I could see the cages welded to the decks and other places, where animals were caged before the blast, to be test subjects. I mentally put myself into one of the cages, chained down and waiting for I knew not what, until the light and heat vaporized my eyes and, hopefully, my body. I was about eight years old at the time. I remember thinking that it must be something to witness one of those things. I joined the Navy when I was seventeen, at the tail end of the Korean War (Oops, Police Action). After I completed my training I was assigned to a ship, the USS Badoeing Strait, CVE 116. She had spent around a year being overhauled and where we were going was very hush-hush. Turned out we were going to Bikini for the H-Bomb tests! So, I had seen the results of Crossroads and made an idle wish. Ten years later, I listened to the count-down for the Cherokee shot, shaking like a leaf. I’ve spent much of my life since then working for world peace and nuclear disarmament. I think few people listened, or read my writing. You’ve been supportive of my work, and I thank you. Mrs. Minitrue sends you Hugs as well.
To close, I’ll send you a poem.

I Have Seen the Dragon

I have seen the Dragon
Through clenched lids and arms pressed tight.
I have felt its hot breath on my back
And listened to the rumble of its voice.

I have looked upon its breath,
Glowing Amethyst, red and purple,
Climbing towards the stratosphere
To deposit its venom downwind.

I have waited in fear as my gums began to bleed
And my hair came out in clumps.
I breathed a prayer of thanks
As I began to heal.

After fifty years, our ranks are thin,
We who have seen the Dragon and survived.
Those who have died or are sickened still,
Their numbers are legion.

All we can hope for, work for, pray for,
Is that no madman will ever be allowed
To unleash the Dragon again.
For its legacy to all is death, disease and decay.

© Stephen M. Osborn
2 November 2006

1 Like

I did not know that animals were caged and used as subjects on the ships. That, suddenly, takes the horror a quantum leap into ultimate sociopathy. As for the code word Cherokee…my great-great grandmother was part of the Trail of Tears. She survived, married an escaped slave in the Res in eastern Oklahoma. Part of their family moved north to the northwest Ohio area for jobs during WW1, where my birth father was born. When people talk about nature vs nurture, if pure environment held sway, I’d be one of those at Trump rallies. But when you talk about what’s born into you, the worldview you hold, that can come from your ancestors. And explains why so many cultures revere those who lived before us.
Hoka Hay, Brother. Spirit Warriors are everywhere that compassion linked with courage exists.

1 Like

Thank you. My wife’s Great Grandmother was 100 percent Cherokee. She lived to be 104, so my wife knew her and talked with her until she was 14. Great Grandmother was fifteen when Abe Lincoln became President.
My wife learned much from her.
;-})

1 Like

This is the type of powerful transformation that education and cross-cultural connections through travel or other interaction can bring about. If only more of us sought such transformations…

1 Like