Home | About | Donate

NY Assembly Member Has Better Idea: Cancel $1.3 Billion Amazon Giveaway, Buy Up Crushing Student Debt Instead

NY Assembly Member Has Better Idea: Cancel $1.3 Billion Amazon Giveaway, Buy Up Crushing Student Debt Instead

Julia Conley, staff writer

As details of Amazon's plans for its new headquarters in Queens, New York and Arlington, Virginia come into view, local officials in New York spoke out on Wednesday against their state's decision to give away a total of nearly $3 billion in taxpayer money to the company as an incentive for supposedly bringing new jobs to New York City—money that could be used to benefit residents and the local economy rather than subsidize the corporate giant.

2 Likes

Cuomo is such a steaming p.o.s.( pile of shxt ). DeLouzio is right next to him, ready to pile on. The Failing Empire State gave us Trump and should of left it at that; but no, they left the clown car door open and these two climbed out. They are not Progressive Democrats, they’re hiding in the Grand Old Oppurtunist Party ( GOOP ).
Good on Representative Kim and Democracy Now! for shedding light on these lackeys for the .001%. What also should be mentioned is this proposal plops right down on some of the last affordable housing close into jobs, etc. Gentrification is just another politically acceptable way of saying, " you don’t have to go home, but you got to get the hell out of here. "
Progressives do not want any more Boss Hawg scumbazzos like Cuomo and DeLouzio as the face of the party. We’ve got enough bozos vying for that position already.

1 Like

Another way of prostituting the people via their taxes. These corporations should PAY to set up shop not be rewarded for doing business. The drag on utilities, infrastructure doesn’t even out. In one thing to invite industry into your community. It’s quite another to pay a very profitable business to suck the soul out of your community.

2 Likes

Is a Bozo the same thing as a Bezo?

Looks that way, currently.

At the White House though they are all bozo’s on that bus.

1 Like

Amazon is apparently providing jobs are for elites who make hundreds of thousands per year. As if NYC needs more elites - this will only cause more gentrification.

Until this - I never heard of a multibillion dollar corporation getting paid like this- what a scam. I hope enough people wake up and realize this- this is what Walmart did to communities, and the towns and cities let them in- which caused the community centered businesses that really paid well to close shop.

Is most of the housing around the Bezos HQ building public housing? Is there rent control here in the city?
What is the next closest neighborhood , which is not public housing, to possibly become gentrified by Amazon?

What is the cost of living in this area, and will the workers actually get $15 an hour and 40 hours for ( $600 a week) and will that be enough for rent?
Does NYC have rent control?
Will this Amazon place also include food and will any small local grocers be put out of business?

I really like Mr. Kim and his ideas. I hope he succeeds in changing things for the better for the people of Queens. : )

This nearly happened to our fair city when a huge mall complex was built a mile north of the city. The was running ok on eighth of a tank of gas but the competition was like a Walmart. Thankfully a revitalization took place over a slow but steady pace and now both do well enough for good sales and employment. H

YES!!! I’m in upstate New York, but we do not need Amazon. Nobody needs Amazon. And I certainly do not want any of my taxes going to make an already obscenely rich man any richer.

1 Like

The US also needs to deal with the many corporations which located their HQ in overseas locations to avoid any US corporate taxes.

1 Like

Great idea. Never going to happen of course.
Amazon execs are never going to relocate to East Jibipistan so where else are they going to locate a headquarters but a major metropolis or its outskirts? They would be locating in Greater NYC - giveaway bribe or not…
Hyperbole aside… we are run … government and private industry… by a diffuse criminal syndicate. And that is never going to change except around the margins where they can throw a bone to us little folk…
I guess need a vacation. I think the orange grifter’s foul mood is rubbing off on me. Peace.

1 Like