Home | About | Donate

NYC Mayor Bill de Blasio Defends Amazon Deal at Sanders Event

NYC Mayor Bill de Blasio Defends Amazon Deal at Sanders Event

Naomi LaChance

Days after New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio got booed at the city’s Christmas tree lighting ceremony, an audience member at the Sanders Institute Gathering in Burlington, Vt., wanted to know how the plan to allow Amazon to build a headquarters in Long Island City, Queens, in exchange for nearly $3 billion in tax breaks and subsidies fits with progressive ideals.

Quoting “Amazon reported New York would see 25,000 new jobs with an average wage of over $150,000 annually”
Really? $150,000 average per job? Now that is total fantasy land. Since when are Amazon workers getting that much? And 25,000? I don’t know about that either. What kind of facility are they putting up? And with all those robots to move the boxes. Even if they do have 25,000 jobs there, what are those jobs? What is the turnover? And, again, what is the real amount?
And why write that Amazon “reported?” Was this in a report or did Amazon just claim/say it was so much.
And why the give-away, de Blasio? I had hopes for you when you were elected. But, merde!

DeBlasio is just more proof of the damnocrats PERFECTED “bait and switch” approach to politics. (Otherwise known as LYING, which Obama had perfected for sure!) Where the hell did that “progressive” running for governor a while back disappear to?

Maybe I’m misunderstanding, but when I divide $150K by 25K, I get $6 per hour. What am I missing, dreamdancer?

It is saying that there will be 25,000 jobs created, at an average of $150,000 per year, per job.

These self-proclaimed progressives will be the death of us all.

Never purchase anything via Amazon. Its retail model can be equated to big box stores which similarly increase traffic and CO2 emissions while bankrupting local retail. As far as Amazon supporting the construction of affordable housing, their ‘affordable’ rental rates though subsidized, direct the unsubsidized amount to private parties, investors; correct me if I’m wrong about that. In other words, subsidized apartments stealthily benefit landlords (read slumlords) who still receive the balance of market rate rents.

Lately I’ve been formulating a retail business model that could bankrupt Amazon to address the dire threat of global warming. It’s no wonder that Jeff Bezos supports the fallacy of self-driving cars. He knows Amazon delivery worsens traffic congestion and that self-driving car tech solves nothing. He wants everyone to believe this lie long enough to continue bankrupting local retail competition.

So…$150,000 PER WORKER PER YEAR, then? In other words, $12,500 per month?
Where do I sign up???

Edit Add: those 25,000 jobs at $150,000 per year, as claimed by Amazon amount to a total of $3.75 billion per year. And the city is just giving them $3 billion for that? That is 80% of the supposed total pay. And who the heck is paying for that? What, Amazon (as with so many corporations doesn’t want to pay its people) decides to have the city pay their (claimed) payroll by 80%. What company wouldn’t want to get away with paying only 20% wages and letting some city or other government pay the remaining 80%.
BTW (to FFr): $150,000/12months/50weeks/40hours == ($12,500/month) ($3,000/week[50-week year]) or ($75/hour)
I’m all for a minimum of at LEAST $25/$30 hour but are we really to believe that Mr. Potter a.k.a Bezos/Amazon is really running an average pay of $75/hour? Or does that mean a far, far more unfair division of pay from maybe less than $10/hour for most to several million / year for a few, especially after Bezos takes his cut, and all the steak dinners that buys him for any one meal?

Yes, but the average can easily be skewed by a few high-paying million dollar jobs. The median would be more telling of the actual wages workers should expect to see with these jobs.

Sanders said he has “dealt with Amazon,” in reference to his campaign to push Amazon to raise its minimum wage to $15. Then, he responded broadly: “You’ve got communities all over this country that are being blackmailed. Mayors want to do the right thing. But all over this city, all over this country, you’ve got communities that are being blackmailed by a handful of multinational corporations,” he said, but he did not mention de Blasio directly.

Sanders never mentions any Democrat, directly, no matter how they bow to big money and corporate pressure. Makes it a bit awkward when he asks progressives to vote Democrat.

No use blaming DeBlasio, if you are Mayor and actually have to govern, you have to get the jobs, revenue, and development. The underlying problem is that corporations have earned so well how to blackmail local/state and even national governments to evade their fair share of taxation leaving everyone else to pay up or do without. If you don’t play the game, you don’t get the jobs. But everybody playing the game gives us the race to the bottom. A good example of the “Tragedy of the Common.”
That said, its probably better Amazon’s office jobs are located in a city like New York rather than spreading onto green fields or forests as Citizens Bank has done in Rhode Island, relocating its main workforce in what a year ago was woodland.

Amazon will build a second headquarters in Long Island City, Queens, and a third headquarters in the Virginia suburbs of Washington, D.C. These are not warehouse-and-shipping buildings where minimum-wage employees pick products, put the products in cardboard boxes, and then slap a shipping label onto each box. They are headquarters buildings where most of the employees will be either executives - similar to buyers at a department store - or, given the internet-based nature of Amazon’s business, programmers needed to keep the Amazon website’s thousands of parts functioning. That’s why the average salary will be $150,000. (The salary estimate does not include free samples of bear spray.)

Job descriptions can be found here.